Memories

Ian_Owen

If anyone has other photos they'd like to share then please upload them

While we have lost some friends, they still live on in our memories.

Gene & Bob.jpg
Gene & Bob White WBC 6 Nelson NZ - the first time I met Gene
Gene & Bob 2.jpg

DSC00490.JPG

DSC00524.JPG

Last edited:
RIP Gene!!!

Good memories of me, Billy Stevens, Terry Harrison, Bart Sauter and Gene Bukys in 2014 South Africa!!!
Kobus Visser

Attachments

• Gene.png
    Gene.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 456
I sure will miss Pawpaw....

That was Gene's nickname in our industry, he worked with us for over 40 years, and was as respected there as he was in the shooting stuff. I would not be involved in BR without Gene, he made me come to a Tomball Sunday morning match once to watch, then after the match was over, he asked me to please shoot his 30 BR. At the time I was doing a lot of tactical shooting, but age was starting to show, I just couldn't run with the young guys anymore. Gene said If I would give it a try he would help me get started. I only had a little idea at the time, of how much this man knew about shooting.

We were friends away from shooting as well, hunted together and fished together. For 15 years I had a pretty big ranch, Gene had an open invite, he could come when I wasn't there. Some of our best times were sitting on the front around the fire pit, telling stories, drinking a little whiskey, and cooking. When I had big groups out to hunt, Gene was like me, he preferred to get everyone hunting out and in their blinds, then retire to the cabin to drink coffee and cook breakfast. Two things were always Genes favorite to cook, cream gravy and fried potatoes, with onions and whatever else he could rustle up to go in them. I wish I had more picture from those days, but seems like we spent more time enjoying the moment, than taking pictures for posterity. Later on, when he had his own ranch, it was always a great time around the fire pit, one of the highlights of Gene and Saundra's hospitality. Never, ever went hungry or thirsty there!

OK, I will now try to post some pictures, I don't know how many I can post before I have to make a second post. I'll continue as long as I have pics. These first ones are from around Gene's ranch, and some fishing and duck hunting expeditions we did.

Attachments

• IMG_5924.JPG
    IMG_5924.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 315
  • IMG_5906.JPG
    IMG_5906.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 322
  • IMG_5910.JPG
    IMG_5910.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 308
  • IMG_4399.JPG
    IMG_4399.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 306
  • IMG_5253.JPG
    IMG_5253.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 303
We invited a bunch of guys over from South Africa and Namibia one year, out to the ranch, for a little shooting class there, a very good time was had by all! Kobus, Kallie and friends most graciously invited us over a few months later to Namibia for a BR meet there, and to do a bit of game shooting. The next post will be mainly picture from that trip.

On the way over, I surprised Gene by getting us upgraded to Business Class on Emirates. There was a bar, in the entire back of Business, that we tested severely on the way to Dubai. I think the smiles on our faces tells pretty much that whole story. In honor of our hosts traditions, we started with a bit of brandy, in order to set ourselves up for success.

Attachments

• IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0672.JPG
    IMG_0672.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0762.JPG
    IMG_0762.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 307
  • IMG_0770.JPG
    IMG_0770.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 291
  • IMG_0801.JPG
    IMG_0801.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 302
Gene loved to hunt, he loved hunting from little small dik-diks to big game. On this trip, we spent DAYS trying to get a baboon for each of us, and a duiker for Gene. Finally after two days of chasing around, he finally got a shot at this duiker. Sometimes, with Gene, the hunt was not as important as the stories that we got from the hunt. Sitting at Kallies house after the matches and hunts, was a real learning moment for me, listening to them talk.

He was very proud of this eland bull also, made a fantastic one shot drop. Shooting springbok and gemsbok culls was another thing you never had to ask Gene if he wanted to try.

Attachments

• DSC_0085.jpg
    DSC_0085.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 270
  • DSC_0092.jpg
    DSC_0092.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0392.JPG
    IMG_0392.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0335.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0475.JPG
    IMG_0475.JPG
    839.6 KB · Views: 259
Last of the pics, these are from the match there in Namibia, outside Windhoek. Everywhere Gene went, he had friends from the shooting world, and made friends with everyone else.

I told Lee this the other day, won't be a time I sit down to shoot at the bench when I don't recall his best advice - " Don't shoot a big one Mikee, don't worry about the small group, just don't shoot a big one". I was really the luckiest guy in this sport, to have a friend like Gene. Definitely going to miss him......

Attachments

• IMG_0500.JPG
    IMG_0500.JPG
    658.5 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    741.9 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    627.6 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC_0112.jpg
    DSC_0112.jpg
    982.3 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC_0120.jpg
    DSC_0120.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 269
  • DSC_0123.jpg
    DSC_0123.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 300
No Kobus, thank you and Kallie for being such gracious gentleman during our trips. I do hope we get a chance to shoot together again soon. I pray for you and your families safety and happiness until then. When we see each other next, a taste of something strong in our friends memory ?

Oh, just remember another thing!!! I still remember a few bits of Afrikaans that y'all taught me during our times together. During a my trip to Zambia last year, I did have some fun with that. Too bad I cannot in good taste share that on here!

Back