MEC Marksman Single Stage Press

Looks good in their ad in "Rifle Magazine". Anyone try one yet?

Looks like a nice substantial press. Cast Iron Construction. A tad pricey, but then it has some neat features.

I have a RCBS Rock Chucker I bought years ago, I loaned it to my son just before deer season. The odds I will ever get it back are growing slim.

I might get one of these.

Set up my new "Marksman" press today

I ordered the Marksman press the other day from Cabela's as I had some points built up on my Cabela's Visa. It came in just a few days. It is very well made and impressively heavy. I like the floating shell holder, the open front and the massive ram. I mounted it to the bench today. It mounts easily with three readily accessible bolts that you can get a socket wrench on.

The main knock on it in the reviews is the primer catching tray which is purported to catch only about 75 percent. There is an angled tab which directs the primers into the tray. I elected to bend that out a little to make a larger opening. It was also apparent that my bench was too thick to allow the primer tray to be easily removed for emptying. I found that a 5 inch plastic funnel fit securely in place of the tray, which is quite small. I ran a plastic tube off this to a can under the bench to catch the primers. I found this arrangement works perfectly with no dropped primers.

Some have said this press is pricey but I don't feel that I paid too much when you consider how good it is and what an essential piece of equipment it is. My RCBS Summit, which never lived up to it's promise, is being relegated to lighter duty such as seating, decapping and neck sizing with Lee collet dies.

Should work great.

That looks like a nice press. This topic is one reason I like the shooting and reloading industries--it seems like we have a dozen brands of this or that to choose to buy and at the end of the day, they're all pretty darn good. I have a Forster that I couldn't be more pleased with. No matter what brand you choose, with proper care any modern press will last for generations AND will do a precise job.

Back