Match Reports

jim1K

First i have no dog in this fight, but i see that three IBS clubs never turned their match reports this year. So all those that went to there and placed will receive nothing for their effort. This is sad to see the lack of concern for the shooters and the expense and travel for nothing. Months went by and can't turn a match report and a lot more don't even post an equipment list. Even at the national level......... jim

First i have no dog in this fight, but i see that three IBS clubs never turned their match reports this year. So all those that went to there and placed will receive nothing for their effort. This is sad to see the lack of concern for the shooters and the expense and travel for nothing. Months went by and can't turn a match report and a lot more don't even post an equipment list. Even at the national level......... jim

Well I know that the final SSOY points haven't been tallied because the October 2nd match results at Sulphyr Springs haven't been turned in yet.

Last edited:
A total of three, unless two have? At long range they counted the ones that were not turned in last year....... go figure...... lol..jim

Match Results

This problem is not new or uncommon......
I believe the reason for it is..... volunteer workers........... with all the work it takes to run a match......grounds prepping,prize recruitment,registration,staffing,target crew,announcers,squading.... to name a few...... probably more work to prepare than actually run the match....
With more volunteers or paying workers ( raising reg.fees ).. this problem could be improved upon.......
OMHO
bill larson

This problem is not new or uncommon......
I believe the reason for it is..... volunteer workers........... with all the work it takes to run a match......grounds prepping,prize recruitment,registration,staffing,target crew,announcers,squading.... to name a few...... probably more work to prepare than actually run the match....
With more volunteers or paying workers ( raising reg.fees ).. this problem could be improved upon.......
OMHO
bill larson

Bill. When there is a one yardage club match up here in Maine, the results are usually posted in the evening on the IBS website. If it's a 2 day, 2 yardage State match usually each yardage gets posted the same night. Up here anyways, our match directors, Randy Jarvais (Augusta) Orland Bunker, (Damariscotta) and Greg Palman (Orrington) usually get the results ASAP to Dick Grosbier and then they are posted. RARELY will it ever take more than a day for our matches up here in the great white north to get posted. IMO there is no excuse why the results of a match that went on October 2nd shouldn't have been sent in by now to be posted. Like I said, that's the match that is holding up everything as far as the final SSOY points go.

Last edited:
Shooting/Volunteers

Bill. When there is a one yardage club match up here in Maine, the results are usually posted in the evening on the IBS website. If it's a 2 day, 2 yardage State match usually each yardage gets posted the same night. Up here anyways, our match directors, Randy Jarvais (Augusta) Orland Bunker, (Damariscotta) and Greg Palman (Orrington) usually get the results ASAP to Dick Grosbier and then they are posted. RARELY will it ever take more than a day for our matches up here in the great white north to get posted.

That`s great......... at the matches that are slow with results ........maybe more volunteers would help.......????. We all got involved with the intent to shoot...... but not all want to get involved what it takes to run a match......
this results in a few doing all the work...... and it`s hard to run a match and compete too..........
bill larson

Jim Pag, there are other things holding up the final standing beyond the missing match reports; record target verification. They are being done now but will take approx. two to three weeks for them to get sent along to the committee members. The committee waits to year's end so all targets get looked at the same time.

One match that was listed was a match from VT that was cancelled. I don't know if that match is still being listed as missing as I have not checked for some time, but Wayne is aware that it was cancelled.

Jim Pag, there are other things holding up the final standing beyond the missing match reports; record target verification. They are being done now but will take approx. two to three weeks for them to get sent along to the committee members. The committee waits to year's end so all targets get looked at the same time.

One match that was listed was a match from VT that was cancelled. I don't know if that match is still being listed as missing as I have not checked for some time, but Wayne is aware that it was cancelled.

Your right about the record target verification. I asked Wayne on Thanksgiving about the SSOY standings when he texted me and he told me that he was waiting for Big Bird to get him the Oct 2nd match results. He didn't mention it and I didn't think of the few people that have potential records. Last year the final points were posted on Dec 14th.

Last edited:

While it is true all clubs are supposed to submit results to the IBS website and are even bound by their match contracts to do so, their absence from the internet does not necessarily mean their shooters get no points. Philip Yott handles 1000 points and Donna Matthews handles 600 points. They receive data direct from match directors. Additionally if someone would tell me (privately) which clubs are not sending in results I might be able to shake some loose, but with an average of 5 or 6 sets of results per club and my dealing with 40+ clubs that hold registered matches a year I do not have time to cross check and find out who they are.

Additionally this is a pretty good opportunity to say that as IBS Webmaster and also Match schedule chairman I struggle with the facts of not always getting results to post. It is well within my power to not let a club hold matches the following year when they fail to fulfill their contractual obligation to supply results, or even just lack equipment lists. The problem is this is not as hard on the clubs as it is on their shooters. Anyhow the situation has improved considerably over the last 5 or 6 years and I am working on trying to make it better. Also as somebody else pointed out it is a lot of work to put on matches ,you have no idea how much until you have done it a few times, and virtually all the workers are volunteers. Many are concerned with making the shooters have a good time the day of the match but have run out of stamina when it comes to going home and putting more hours into results.

Dick Grosbier

Dick, I think you missed understood my post.

For clarification purposes only, I was not referring to any listing for which you were responsible. Wayne had listed the VT Oct. 8 match as one of three matches for which he had received no match report. That VT match is one of the three to which these posts are referring taken from the last posting of the SSOY standings of Oct.20. I know you have the VT Oct. 8 match listed as cancelled on the schedule page. Wayne obviously missed something along the way, maybe he was going by an earlier printed copy of the schedule when he provided you with the SSOY standings to post. Wayne now knows that the VT match was cancelled as I contacted him shortly after the posting the standings near or on Oct. 20. As a new posting of the SSOY standings has not yet been posted, that particular VT match is still shown as missing. I assume you thought I was referring to the YOUR schedule posting when you posted, "It is not." I know, as stated previously, you have that match listed correctly in the schedule page as a cancelled match.

Dick,

don't sweat the small stuff. You have enough to do without chasing down reports. Shooters should voice their concerns to those match directors not sending in results or equipment lists.

Near the end of this past season, several of the new shooters were discussing how long some clubs take to submit a report. The veterans quickly told how it used to be....before computers. The newbies know no other than how we do it today. I remember waiting for a USPS mailing, which was hand written, hand addressed and arrived three to four weeks after the match. If you didn't attend a particular match, you waited 4-6 months for 'Precision Shooting' magazine to list it, only to find that it never got there. Things are pretty sweet as we have it now. I know I was the first person in Maine to send in reports using an Excel spreadsheet, which was simply retyping the scoring sheets and sorting to indicated the winners. Invariably it would have typing errors and such. What a headache for Dick! In any case, Dick put me onto the score shooting scoring program that most of us use now. I assume Dick was majorly involved with instituting the IBS webpage. I don't know who else was involved but kudos to all that were. Like this site, having all this information in real time is fantastic. I hope it continues after those responsible put away the keyboards.

don't sweat the small stuff. You have enough to do without chasing down reports. Shooters should voice their concerns to those match directors not sending in results or equipment lists.

Near the end of this past season, several of the new shooters were discussing how long some clubs take to submit a report. The veterans quickly told how it used to be....before computers. The newbies know no other than how we do it today. I remember waiting for a USPS mailing, which was hand written, hand addressed and arrived three to four weeks after the match. If you didn't attend a particular match, you waited 4-6 months for 'Precision Shooting' magazine to list it, only to find that it never got there. Things are pretty sweet as we have it now. I know I was the first person in Maine to send in reports using an Excel spreadsheet, which was simply retyping the scoring sheets and sorting to indicated the winners. Invariably it would have typing errors and such. What a headache for Dick! In any case, Dick put me onto the score shooting scoring program that most of us use now. I assume Dick was majorly involved with instituting the IBS webpage. I don't know who else was involved but kudos to all that were. Like this site, having all this information in real time is fantastic. I hope it continues after those responsible put away the keyboards.

Randy, How many years makes you a veteran shooter? ....... what is a new shooter?....... jim

Good question

Nice trap question Jim. :) Heck, I don't know. In the above scenario, the newbies have been shooting for 2-3 years while the veterans went back as far as 1980's. I was present and participated in the conversation and I started shooting IBS in 2002. I guess one could say: Any shooters coming before you are veteran and those coming in after you are newbies. :)

Or if you started competing before the 'smart phone' you are veteran, came in after the smart phone, newbie!!

Jim, what is your definition?

Randy, multiple disciplines take me back to the early 60's, so i guess i was shooting competitively when you were wearing 3 cornered pants...... lol. New guys have good ideas too ...... Some just put blinders on and sweep things under the rug. ..........jim

Back