Match question.

TrxR

How many rounds do you go through at a short range for group match ? Do you need to have more than one rifle? How many groups do you shoot a day?

Thanks

I never thought. I suppose the sactioning bodies would have all this layed out in their rules. Whats the major sanctioning bodies?

Thanks.

Match question

I never thought. I suppose the sactioning bodies would have all this layed out in their rules. Whats the major sanctioning bodies?

Thanks.

NBRSA or IBS

Normally will shoot 5 groups of 5 shots in the morning at 100 yds and another in the afternoon at the same yardage but with different rifle. Next day will shoot the second rifle at 200 yds. (Unless it's an unlimited match where it's normally 10 shot groups) You can shoot as many fouler/sighter shots as you want. (But some matches they may shoot a single rifle, such as LV on one day at both yardages and a HV on the next day, depends on the range and what they have posted in the match announcements.)

Most folks load at the range so loads can be tweaked for conditions. But if you pre-load you need at least 50 rounds for the record targets and how many sighters you might go through.

I would suggest that you try to attend a match in your area to visit with the shooters and see it all for yourself.

Have fun!

NBRSA or IBS

Normally will shoot 5 groups of 5 shots in the morning at 100 yds and another in the afternoon at the same yardage but with different rifle. Next day will shoot the second rifle at 200 yds. (Unless it's an unlimited match where it's normally 10 shot groups) You can shoot as many fouler/sighter shots as you want. (But some matches they may shoot a single rifle, such as LV on one day at both yardages and a HV on the next day, depends on the range and what they have posted in the match announcements.)

Most folks load at the range so loads can be tweaked for conditions. But if you pre-load you need at least 50 rounds for the record targets and how many sighters you might go through.

I would suggest that you try to attend a match in your area to visit with the shooters and see it all for yourself.

Have fun!

Thanks.

Sadly their are no matches like that remotely close probably the closest would be a 3 or 4 day drive.

So a person would need 25 rounds for record per distance. So for LV you would need 25 rounds for record at 100 , 200 and possibly 300 if its being shot then what ever foulers/sighters you would need. It would be the same for HV as well? So it would be wise thinking to have around 100 bullets per rifle on hand at the minimum?

Im assuming not many if any are using the 30br for group anymore relegating it to a mainly for score caliber?

Do you live out of country? I usually bring a box of "bullets" because I know not how many rounds that I may need to reload.
My box has 500 bullets in them.

TRX,
Count on about 10 rounds per target, 5 for record and 5 for sighter. Some targets you might se more and some less. In a normal weekend match you need to figure on 200 rounds.
You are 16 hours away from several Ontario ranges. Not sure if they are having matches in the current political climate in Ontario. Just a shorter way across the border they have matches in Maine and New York when that opens up. I thought there were a small group in Quebec that was shooting some small unregistered matches also.
John

TRX,
Count on about 10 rounds per target, 5 for record and 5 for sighter. Some targets you might se more and some less. In a normal weekend match you need to figure on 200 rounds.
You are 16 hours away from several Ontario ranges. Not sure if they are having matches in the current political climate in Ontario. Just a shorter way across the border they have matches in Maine and New York when that opens up. I thought there were a small group in Quebec that was shooting some small unregistered matches also.
John

I was thinking Alberta was the closest shooting any registered group matches.

Is that 200 rounds per rifle?

On average for the top competitors how many matches a month are they shooting?

It all depends on the match if it is score or group. If it is an average group match weekend they usually will shoot light varmint and Heavy varmint. You have to read the program. Sometimes they hold a sporter and unlimited. Sometimes it is a 4 gun at 1 yardage. Lots of variables on programs. Assuming a normal weekend with a lv and hv at 100 and 200 yards you will shoot 25 record shots in lv at 100 and 25 record shots at hv in the 100yd event and then they move the targets back to 200 yds and you the shoot hv 200 yds for 25 record shots and then lv for 25 shots on record. these will be 5 record shots on 5 separate targets shot at approx. 30 - 45 minute intervals. You can shoot a million sighters if you like but I would recommend having about 5 per target. This makes it approx. 100 rds needed for lv and 100 rounds needed for hv for an average weekend group shoot. 200 rounds for the weekend. You can shoot 1 gun for both lv and hv if it is a lv class rifle. If unlimted is in the program then you need to find out if they are having a 5 shot or 10 shot taret as that will change how many rounds you need to have per target.
How many rounds a top shooter shoots per month varies and would be an individual question for each top shooter. It largely depends on the time of year and how far the matches are as well as work schedule.

Back