Marlin MR-7 action / stock disassembly - help needed

OliveOil

Hi Gentlemen,

Just bought a first hand Marlin MR-7 in 30-06. (RG, just stop laughing at me please ...;);) that gun just jumped in my arms, I couldn't do anything)

I would like to remove the barreled action from the stock to clean, inspect and grease.

I can't achieve it.

I took the 2 action bottom screws off, remove the mag latch, the action does not move. Using a bronze rod and a hammer, I gently hit at the 4 corners of the receiver bottom that can be seen from the mag housing. Nothing move.

I read here and there that Marlin did some kind of an epoxy bedding on that gun, but it is not supposed to be glued in. Something like a HBR gun bedding.

Does someone has some experience / knowledge to share about removing a Marlin MR-7 action from its stock ?

I wish to inspect and protect it before going into the rain, adjust the trigger, maybe polish some trigger parts.

Thanks,
Oliver.

Warm it up?

Hi Gentlemen,

Just bought a first hand Marlin MR-7 in 30-06. (RG, just stop laughing at me please ...;);) that gun just jumped in my arms, I couldn't do anything)

I would like to remove the barreled action from the stock to clean, inspect and grease.

I can't achieve it.

I took the 2 action bottom screws off, remove the mag latch, the action does not move. Using a bronze rod and a hammer, I gently hit at the 4 corners of the receiver bottom that can be seen from the mag housing. Nothing move.

I read here and there that Marlin did some kind of an epoxy bedding on that gun, but it is not supposed to be glued in. Something like a HBR gun bedding.

Does someone has some experience / knowledge to share about removing a Marlin MR-7 action from its stock ?

I wish to inspect and protect it before going into the rain, adjust the trigger, maybe polish some trigger parts.

Thanks,
Oliver.

If it somehow got glued in, you might try like we do when we remove a glued in action, set a clothes iron directly on top of the action to warm it up, slip something tapered between the fore end of the stock and barrel to apply slight pressure and let the heat soak through to possibly get the glue to release? No steam on too! Good luck!

another trick is to freeze the action with co2. this sometimes works by itself. or heat action per other post and then freeze it. we get a lot of rusted bolts and such apart that way.

Thank you

Thanks for your inputs.

@ Centerfire : that web site seems not to be available from France.

@ davejones : yep, I knew that thread already. One that helped me make my purchase decision. It is amazing to read at post #69 that the barreled action was put out of the stock at the range and without any reported difficulties. It is stated to be a 25-06 but at the beginning the MR-7 was 30-06 and 280 only. Marlin may have suppressed the bedding later on or at the 7B switch.

I finally got it by very gently hammering with a bronze rod at the four corners of the receiver bottom that can be seen from the mag well, with my daughter holding the rifle by the stock only and mag well to the roof. The 1996 epoxy gave up in less than 5 minutes.

The rifle was epoxied at the recoil lug and 1"back under the receiver. There is also a hump in the stock to press on barrel. Most of the epoxy could be removed using fingernails.

Back