Mark 4 LRT 16 power fixed ( TMR Reticle)

Plusses:
  • Overbuilt. Originally built for .50 BMG shooting (SEAL Team contract). One remark often made about these units is the can be used to drive nails - Leupold may actually have done so in an advertising campaign;
  • Large elevation range. Lots of room to get rifle zeroed, leaves windage available at higher elevations;
  • No magnification selector. One less thing to go wrong.

Minuses:
  • Insufficient magnification. Personal experience (prone shooting, not F-Class) is 16x is low for a target scope. Am not sure you would like it for F-class. Leupold does not boost these scopes, and no longer warrantees boosted scopes;
  • Overbuilt construction. Due to the need to withstand .50 BMG recoil, lenses are reportedly glued in place. Leupold's lifetime warranty may not apply to this model due to the glued-in lenses;
  • Scope is discontinued. Hard to buy a new scope.

Think you would be better served with a optic equipped with a magnification between 20 to 25x. (Odds are, this range will be used more often than a 16x.) Leupold sells a 6.5-20x scope (VX-3i Side Focus CDS) which might suit your needs better, and their 24 to 25x scopes aren't bad either. Other scope manufacturers also sell suitable scopes.

DISCLAIMER
I am not a Leupold employee, and am not subsidized by them in any form. I do own (and compete with) several Leupold scopes, including one of the Mk 4 LRTs.

Last edited:
Plusses:
  • Overbuilt. Originally built for .50 BMG shooting (SEAL Team contract). One remark often made about these units is the can be used to drive nails - Leupold may actually have done so in an advertising campaign;
  • Large elevation range. Lots of room to get rifle zeroed, leaves windage available at higher elevations;
  • No magnification selector. One less thing to go wrong.

Minuses:
  • Insufficient magnification. Personal experience (prone shooting, not F-Class) is 16x is low for a target scope. Am not sure you would like it for F-class. Leupold does not boost these scopes, and no longer warrantees boosted scopes;
  • Overbuilt construction. Due to the need to withstand .50 BMG recoil, lenses are reportedly glued in place. Leupold's lifetime warranty may not apply to this model due to the glued-in lenses;
  • Scope is discontinued. Hard to buy a new scope.

Think you would be better served with a optic equipped with a magnification between 20 to 25x. (Odds are, this range will be used more often than a 16x.) Leupold sells a 6.5-20x scope (VX-3i Side Focus CDS) which might suit your needs better, and their 24 to 25x scopes aren't bad either. Other scope manufacturers also sell suitable scopes.

DISCLAIMER
I am not a Leupold employee, and am not subsidized by them in any form. I do own (and compete with) several Leupold scopes, including one of the Mk 4 LRTs.
Thank You. Other than 50 BMG, what type of shooting , what type of rile would Mark 4 16 power complement well?

16X Mark 4

Thank You. Other than 50 BMG, what type of shooting , what type of rile would Mark 4 16 power complement well?

I used one for two years at the Montana 1000 yard Benchrest shoots and did very well with it. 70 minutes of up, 70 minutes of down for a total of 140 minutes. You will not need a tapered base with this scope, and it keeps the reticle close to the center of the lens. There were a number of these scopes being used at the Montana shoots in the heavy recoiling cartridges. They are as Asa said, bulletproof scopes.
More power is nice, but in a fixed higher power scope, it can be a problem with mirage.

Should you decide you need one, I have one for sale since I no longer shoot 1000 yard BR.

16x mark 4 leupold scope

I used one for two years at the Montana 1000 yard Benchrest shoots and did very well with it. 70 minutes of up, 70 minutes of down for a total of 140 minutes. You will not need a tapered base with this scope, and it keeps the reticle close to the center of the lens. There were a number of these scopes being used at the Montana shoots in the heavy recoiling cartridges. They are as Asa said, bulletproof scopes.
More power is nice, but in a fixed higher power scope, it can be a problem with mirage.

Should you decide you need one, I have one for sale since I no longer shoot 1000 yard BR.

Need to add.....Ackerman can still bump these scopes to 24x.

Reticle thickness could also be a concern as it may obscure a bit of the X-ring. I also suggest a 25x minimum mag for F-class. I usually shoot at 50-60x but as low as 30x is not a real impediment even in very low mirage conditions. Using 16x magnification would not likely affect your numerical score greatly but would impact your x count. That being said, if that is all you have and getting a higher power scope would delay your entry in to F-class shooting I would mount it and head to the range:).

if i had tried to compete at 1000 yard BENCH REST with a 16x scope, I WOULD NOT BE COMPETING ANY MORE ALSO.
i started under powdered with an 8-25x and added a booster to about 32. today i use 15-55x.
16x is not competitive
i have practiced with f class shooters, they do not skimp on scope power.

Back