Mark 10B Savage-Anschutz

P

pepperbelly

I am thinking about buying a target .22 rifle for practice and informal match shooting at my club's range.
I hate to admit this, but at 50 I have never owned a target .22. I collect C&R rifles like Swede M96 and Swiss k31s. They are accurate but I have to load for them to be able to afford to shoot them.
The above rifle is for sale here and I am considering getting it if it is still available. I almost bought either a Schultz and Larson or a CM2 at a local gun store, but they are in poor to fair condition and may be missing parts. Sight inserts are difficult to find and parts may be unavailable.
I want more than an entry level rifle, but can't afford a full-bore match rifle. I also want one that is fun and will use for many years.

Can anyone tell me about this rifle?

Jim

I saw that Sarco has Anshutz model 54 and model 64 .22 rifles for sale for the same price as the other rifles I am looking at.

Which rifle would be the best choice or are they all equilavent?

Jim

I am thinking about buying a target .22 rifle for practice and informal match shooting at my club's range.
I hate to admit this, but at 50 I have never owned a target .22. I collect C&R rifles like Swede M96 and Swiss k31s. They are accurate but I have to load for them to be able to afford to shoot them.
The above rifle is for sale here and I am considering getting it if it is still available. I almost bought either a Schultz and Larson or a CM2 at a local gun store, but they are in poor to fair condition and may be missing parts. Sight inserts are difficult to find and parts may be unavailable.
I want more than an entry level rifle, but can't afford a full-bore match rifle. I also want one that is fun and will use for many years.

Jim[/QUOTE

Just my 2 cents here but for what you describe, practice and informal match shooting, I would go out and buy a Ruger 10/22 or in my case a 77/22. Then put either a Shilen or Lilja match barrell on it for around 240 bucks. You can install the barrel yourself on both. Or go with a Green Mountain for about a 100 bucks. The Rugers are one of the best 22s on the market for price, reliability and for after- market parts and upgrades. IMO

DR

Jim

I got a S/A mark 10B while in college. It was an inexpensive rifle then, and shot within my skill set for three position. Peep sight set, with aperatures. Single shot, likes Lapua ammo. Just shoot feral cats and grouse with it occasionally now.

I still have mine, it was made in 1971.

Ben

Last edited:
I bought one for my wife back in the early '70s. We still have it. The birch stock required some attention with bedding compound to prevent the screws from fouling the bolt. It shoots as well as my 1413 with Eley Tenex. Not bad for a rifle that cost $65 with sights.

Harold

How do Valmet rifles compare to the Anshutz rifles? I found one advertised as "Valmet model “standard” Olympic target, .22 "

Jim

I bought one for my wife back in the early '70s. We still have it. The birch stock required some attention with bedding compound to prevent the screws from fouling the bolt. It shoots as well as my 1413 with Eley Tenex. Not bad for a rifle that cost $65 with sights.

Harold

I tried buying a gun for my wife one time, it got me sleeping on the couch for a week.

It's the only thing worse than buying a broom and mop for her.

Ben

The model 54 was gone when I called this morning.
Would $350.00 for the Anschutz Match 64 be too good to pass up?

Jim

Back