March BR Scopes

James A. Kelbly

I read on the Shamrock report on here that a March scope came apart inside at the match. Well the customer of that 40x just called and informed me to have the scope sent back to him. He found that he had a bedding problem. I do not know what action or stock he was using.

This is very common in benchrest and this is where a lot of scope problems exist, in the bedding. After 27 years here at Kelbly’s this is one of the biggest problems most of you shooters have. We have seen bedding that makes you wonder how the rifle ever shot. Not that this customer had a problem with the bedding, his was the glue.

That means to date with over 500 + March BR fixed power scopes not one has had a problem.

Jim

That implies the variables are BETTER than the fixed power.

How do you confuse a "March scope came apart inside at the match", and a bedding problem?

Parts jiggling around inside a scope housing is a pretty unique condition and not easily confused with something else....................Don

How do you confuse a "March scope came apart inside at the match", and a bedding problem?

Parts jiggling around inside a scope housing is a pretty unique condition and not easily confused with something else....................Don

no, shots jiggling around on a target often get blamed for a varity of reasons.

mike in co

to clear up all the confusion, what i ment by came apart inside, is that the scope owner was sure that something broke or came loose. where else but inside could something on a scope of that desigh come apart? :rolleyes::rolleyes: and yes i was there were you who are voicing all this blather? :confused: now that the owner wants the scope back my question is did he change scopes and continue to shoot that same gun?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was the culprit!

Yes I changed scopes an continued to shoot the same gun. The gun was giving me double groups,4and1's and 3 and 2's with both scopes, Sometimes it's hard to figure out what the problem really is. For some strange reason the gun seemed to shoot better with one scope than the other,so I figured it was the scope. After returning home I pulled the screws from the stock and bedding had given up.The action popped right out, so I think I had a bedding problem instead of a scope problem.I will be getting the gun back in about a week and I will retest all of my equipment.I do have to give Jim Kelbly and the March Folks alot of credit, They were on top of the repair process as soon as I called.(Thanks Jim). Sorry to all the March owners for giving you a scare. Scotty Crawford

When I made my post, I thought one of the variable scopes sold to a customer in Europe had developed an internal problem a few weeks ago. The user claimed the focusing dial quit working. I didn't know the reason why, which is why I didn't include variable scopes and instead only mentioned fixed power scopes.

I asked Deon what they found wrong with that scope last night. According to Shimizu, when the owner mounted the scope on his rifle, the mount must not have been straight. The scope rings were out of alignment, but the scope was tightened down in the mount anyway. The crooked scope rings bent the scope tube, causing the internal focusing group to bind up against the inside of the scope. Of course the scope tube will be replaced for the owner.

Come to think of it, we've had a similar problem in the USA with a March scope before. The scope was mounted too tight, causing extra friction on the focusing group. In that case it just made the focus movement very stiff.

Jim

I find it quite amazing how many people will take a relatively expensive scope and improperly mount them. Take a look at scope mounts on peoples rifles and see how many are tightened till the top ring is bent till the outside of the rings touch the lower ring and then take a guess as to what the scope tube looks like under the top ring. It is amazing how many "gunsmiths" will do this and even turn the front dovetailed ring like the Leopold's with the scope.

I found a like problem....

James A. Kelbly;493751 The scope rings were out of alignment said:
I found the same problem with "too tight" scope rings myself. This situation was with a Weaver T6 in Kelbly rings. When I checked the elevation and windage knob travel with a scope adjusting aid on the end of the barrel, I noticed that the last few turns of the windage knob in the "left" direction failed to move the reticle. After loosening up the rear scope ring to a reasonable tightness, full adjust ability of the windage adjustment returned. Lesson learned. One doesn't have to tighten scope rings to an unreasonable level. After finger tight with a screw driver or Allen wrench is achieved, another 3/4 turn should to it.

virg

Virg

This is a tough call. I witnessed two scopes at our first match at Tomball that had slipped in the rings. The shooter noticed one just before the front ring came off of the base.

Back when I was freezing scopes, I saw a lot of Weavers that had the tube "collapsed" where the rings had been.

Since I never saw a 36 Leupold with the same problem, that lead me to believe that Weaver was using a rather soft aluminum alloy for the scope tube..........jackie

Back