Manson reamer circlip

Rob Carnell

A customer supplied this reamer, and it has the wrong pilot installed and I cant get it off.

How the hell do I get this thing off?

I spend more than half an hour on it before I gave up.

There must be some trick to it!

Rob Carnell
Sydney, Australia

Did you mean to include a picture? I have a couple of Manson reamers and they are no different than PTG as far as pilots.

Clymer uses the tiny circlips and they are a pain to get off, even harder to get back on. Make sure you have spares! You sure it's not a Clymer reamer? I've used a tiny pick to get them off then the flat of a small flat blade screwdriver to push them back on. Maybe someone else has a better way. I only have two Clymer reamers and that's the reason.

I usually use my thumbnail on one end of the clip and use a jewelers screwdriver to push the opposite end to dislodge the clip. Then after searching for the clip for about 15 minutes I get another clip and snap it on.

I have several Manson reamers. When Ferris and I were working on 40 degree shoulder variants of the PPC we used Manson reamers. We had Dave grind changes. Dave sent me a little bag that contained about 10-12 clips. With my funky eyesight I lost a few!

Are the circlips on the Munson, Clymer and JGS the same size? If so, what size are they and would McMaster have them? So timely for this discussion, I just lost the one on my JGS reamer last night.

Thank you.

OP, sorry I hijack your thread.

Got it, thanks

I had the reamer in a vice and was trying to pry off the circlip with 2 small screwdrivers.

Managed to use my thumbnail to hold it in place then used only one screwdriver and managed to flip it off.

Rob.

In case y'all wondering what the circlips part number would be for JGS reamers, here is the shipment I got from them. I still don't know if these are standard size across the different manufacturers, but since my carbide reamers are all JGS and have the same clips, I acquired these from them.

Now I can afford to loose a couple. The one that I lost was nowhere to be found, the gremlins must-have eaten it.

Attachments

• 20170828_180942.jpg
    20170828_180942.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 332
In case y'all wondering what the circlips part number would be for JGS reamers, here is the shipment I got from them. I still don't know if these are standard size across the different manufacturers, but since my carbide reamers are all JGS and have the same clips, I acquired these from them.

Now I can afford to loose a couple. The one that I lost was nowhere to be found, the gremlins must-have eaten it.

Those are not exactly the same as the ones that come with the Mansons although they might fit. They do look the same as some I have seen on PTG reamers. Its a good idea to have a bag of them for sure.

Those are not exactly the same as the ones that come with the Mansons although they might fit. They do look the same as some I have seen on PTG reamers. Its a good idea to have a bag of them for sure.

The clips Dave Manson sent me, I'm pretty certain, are standard industry size e-clips. He sent me about a dozen.

I have a couple of Daves reamers and grizzly rods. I just use two swall screw drivers to push on the ends of the clips. Give them a call and they will send extra clips if needed. Not bad once you get use to it.

Back