Maine's opener:

Pete Wass

Just looked at the results of Maine's opening IBS Score match. Looks like the gang was pretty well all there and some great scores were shot. I want to particularly congratulate Tom Benoit for the great Hunter Class score he shot with that old BAT :). Great shooting!

Pete

Last edited:
Greg P was practicing some extreme accuracy powder throwing...

I did not witness but was told that Greg forgot his powder measure, so he was using a spoon to "dump" his powder into his cases. His tolerance was "half way up the neck". I shot on side of him and he did struggle a little, but his only comment was directed at his 18 twist barrel being too slow a twist for our 'cooler' temps. Maybe Greg will chime in with the REAL story. Brian Fitch was another that may have shot the Htr class for the first time. Although he dropped a point, he shot 18 x's. And how about Orland? Shoots a clean 250 with 9x's and loses out to that 'BAT'.

Something to be said for pre-loading I guess, eh?

I did not witness but was told that Greg forgot his powder measure, so he was using a spoon to "dump" his powder into his cases. His tolerance was "half way up the neck". I shot on side of him and he did struggle a little, but his only comment was directed at his 18 twist barrel being too slow a twist for our 'cooler' temps. Maybe Greg will chime in with the REAL story. Brian Fitch was another that may have shot the Htr class for the first time. Although he dropped a point, he shot 18 x's. And how about Orland? Shoots a clean 250 with 9x's and loses out to that 'BAT'.

I have often wondered why some Maine Score shooters still hang on to loading at the range. It's pretty clear that it is not necessary. That said, I once drove all the way to Bowmanstown and realized when I arrived there I had left my ammo in Maine. Good that I had an new GF with me so the weekend wasn't a bust.

I did notice Brian and Bunk's scores. I did not know it was Brian's first go with a Hunter gun. Good to see more 6 power shooters.

Pete

Just looked at the results of Maine's opening IBS Score match. Looks like the gang was pretty well all there and some great scores were shot. I want to particularly congratulate Tom Benoit for the great Hunter Class score he shot with that old BAT :). Great shooting!

Pete

Pete. There were over a handful of the regular's that weren't there. Me, Brooksie, Mitchell, Mike Luce, George Jones, and Andy Buzzell. Yes it was the first time for Brian in the hunter class. Mike Suhie was texting me after the match was over because he was the one who built Brian's hunter gun and I called Brian up between texting to ask him how he did and he told me he bumped the gun and dropped a point. It was still pretty impressive to shoot 18X's in his first match in that class. Gee Randy, you shot em up and u weren't even close to being in the honey hole. Great Job! LOL! As far as loading at the range Pete when your shooting a 30BR I'll agree, but some habits are hard to break for some people.

George Jones

Pete. There were over a handful of the regular's that weren't there. Me, Brooksie, Mitchell, Mike Luce, George Jones, and Andy Buzzell. Yes it was the first time for Brian in the hunter class. Mike Suhie was texting me after the match was over because he was the one who built Brian's hunter gun and I called Brian up between texting to ask him how he did and he told me he bumped the gun and dropped a point. It was still pretty impressive to shoot 18X's in his first match in that class. Gee Randy, you shot em up and u weren't even close to being in the honey hole. Great Job! LOL! As far as loading at the range Pete when your shooting a 30BR I'll agree, but some habits are hard to break for some people.

was at the range but scored targets and didn't shoot. Did a good job! Real story Randy? I should check the actual twist, they may have sent me a 19 or 20 by mistake. The 18 is in the barrel rack for now!! :D I'm not sure taking the tuner off was the best of decisions. Why load at the range? Well at least I could shoot after leaving the body of my powder measure home. Powder charges may have varied some, but they all went bang.

Last edited:
The down side of pre-loading...

Many many more cases needed. When loading at the range I was using on average 30 cases, cycling through them during the day regardless of how many days of shooting. Now for a three yardage shoot, I load 250 rounds making sure I have plenty. I usually have half a box or more left over but I don't want to be counting how many rounds left on the last day. Shooting two guns, it is nearly double the number. That is the disadvantage, but when clubs only hold two relays and you want to shoot two guns, there aren't many options concerning loading at the range.

Many many more cases needed. When loading at the range I was using on average 30 cases, cycling through them during the day regardless of how many days of shooting. Now for a three yardage shoot, I load 250 rounds making sure I have plenty. I usually have half a box or more left over but I don't want to be counting how many rounds left on the last day. Shooting two guns, it is nearly double the number. That is the disadvantage, but when clubs only hold two relays and you want to shoot two guns, there aren't many options concerning loading at the range.

true enough. I shot two guns years ago at the Bud and loaded for both there, but they ran 5 relays in those days.

Back