Magic Actions: Your thoughts

from Allan Hall. He has the attitude that if he built it there's nothing else that needs to be done.

I wonder if that comes from making actions for decades? A fellow might get the idea, eventually, that he knows something about the subject. But this is only a wild guess.

I wonder if that comes from making actions for decades? A fellow might get the idea, eventually, that he knows something about the subject. But this is only a wild guess.
Partly, but mostly it's arrogance. I know him very well.

Timing?

Ok, Maybe I should ask this on another thread. What is considered a perfectly timed trigger and How does it make an action shoot any better?

Canjar

I must have found a magic Remington 788. Several years ago, after an eye operation, I needed a light recoiling rifle. A friend had given me a neglected 788 Remington with pitted bore and action so I decided to rebarrel it to .25BR. I ordered a threaded, chambered barrel from Pac-Nor and fitted it to the action, stoned the trigger the best I could, glass bedded the action, and refinished the stock.
I made my own loading tools to expand and reduce the thickness of the necks (notice I did not say turned), and to seat the 100 grain Sierra HPBT. With the only load I have ever tried, 29 grains of 748, this rifle consistently shoots 3/8" 5 shoot groups when I do my part. The trigger is the weak link on this rifle but I've never found anything to replace it with.

If you ask on here you might find a CANJAR for it. They made them and I have one on mine! ;)

In my limited experience actions can be simply maddening. Guys like Borden, Bryant, Walley, Stiller, Scott etc actually have a SYSTEM for diagnosis... they actually understand the dynamics.

I have no freakin' clue beyond the obvious.

I know how to clean up the engagement surfaces and fix the timing handoff. I can check for alignment issues, smooth up the threads on the bolt shroud, polish the firing pin and all camming surfaces and then I'm about out of stuff..... I do rework the cocking ramp sometimes and spend some time checking the inside fit of the firing pin in the bolt.

I wouldn't DARE to opine here about real timing issues, the few bolt handles I've modified and bolts I've assembled were just set to jigged specs. But I can say this, certain 'smiths turn out a remarkable higher proportion of shooters while using the same components. :)

I went to gunsmithing school. I fiddle with some of my own stuff. I've got a lathe and some opinions :D

I know enough to PAY ONE OF THE GUYS LISTED ABOVE for real work...... I'm deadly serious. If I had an action right now that didn't shoot, AND if it was an otherwise good action, I'd send it off to Jim Borden.

"A man's gotta' know his own limitations"

al

Pete, thanks for the information

on the Canjar trigger. Another reader emailed me and said Timney also made a trigger for the 788 and I ordered a 1.5 pound one yesterday. I have Timneys on several old bolt action military rifles I built eons ago so I expect it to be a lot better than what is on it now. Is your 788 Canjar a 2 ounce pull?

on the Canjar trigger. Another reader emailed me and said Timney also made a trigger for the 788 and I ordered a 1.5 pound one yesterday. I have Timneys on several old bolt action military rifles I built eons ago so I expect it to be a lot better than what is on it now. Is your 788 Canjar a 2 ounce pull?

If it is their set trigger like I have on my old Winchester it is 2 to 4 ounce adjustable set and 3 to 4 pound not set. I love it!! 2 triggers in one.

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

PS: For sure not the cheapest trigger on the market.

Back