Machine shop building question

Skeet,
The Navy (and Air Force) use a three coat system consisting of epoxy primer, polyurethane intermediate coat and polyurethane topcoat. Some systems have a sealer as well. Color is white (preferred by Air Force) or light grey, although other colors are available (yellow(?) per Dusty's recommendation). To reduce slippage, a #60 aluminum grit is broadcast in the intermediate and top coats. If you want, I can post a copy of the Navy spec. It is detailed, but you can pick up good information in the Products and Execution sections.

Mountain Mike - I would be very interested in seeing that spec if you could post it or email it please.

crack control

The floor was cured enough this evening to go ahead and make my control cuts. I was in a bit of a dilemma. Cutting off of every pole may be a bit over kill as the squares are now eight by eight. The alternative was to just cut off the center pole with sixteen foot squares. I didn't feel very comfortable with squares that big, so I bit the bullet and cut off every pole. I made the right choice I am sure. Here is a pic. Lee

Joe,

Copy of Resinous Fuel Resistant Floor Coating spec attached.

You can get a full list (and pdf files) of all of the Unified Facilities Guide Specifications (UFGS) at http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/browse_cat.php?c=3

If you want to look at them, you can get most of the Unified Facilities Criteria design manuals on the wbdg site as well (all except those designated For Official Use Only).

There are other manuals there too. For instance Air Force ETL 11-18 is a design manual for rifle ranges, including outdoor (up to 50 BMG) and indoor (usually 25 meters for M16/A4).

Attachments

• 09_67Fuel_Res_Coat.pdf
    60.1 KB · Views: 366
I started forming up the outside patio where ill be building two concrete shooting benches. Inside benches are nice and I will will be building one, but there isn't anything like shooting outside. I also hope to build an overhead cover for the two outside benches. Lee

The White USAF coatings are extremely durable

In 1988, Ellsworth AFB, SD coated the floors of their hangars. I retired in Oct of 04 and the only damage to any of the flooring was where one of the tow tugs spun its tires while wearing tire chains.
The floors are still shiny and they don't stain if the thicker coatings with the clear coat are used.
The good thing is you can either mop them, dust them, or even use the mini zamboni to clean up. Light reflection is fantastic underneath the aircraft.
My 2 cents on the subject.

I wish. All this is part of my retirement plan. After all this is completed I plan to apply for my FFL and start chambering a few barrels for other folks. Maybe if everything works out like I hope it will, I can retire a little earlier than most of the folks I work with. I wont have any debt and not much of an overhead, other than electric and insurance. I really enjoy playing with these machines and I love working on rifles. Fingers crossed. Lee

I haven't heard anything about heating and air conditioning plans? No matter what route you go take the time to install an air exchanger. It will help you live longer! I plan to put one in soon and I might put one in my house too.

Lee
Whatever you do, go with plenty of insulation in the walls and ceiling.

I have 5&1/2" in my walls and 12" or so blown in my ceilings.

In the winter when I walk in it feels warm and when I do use the furnace

it is just on a short time to keep the chill away. Good Luck Kenny

we are going HEAVY on the insulation. we started with 1.5" thick pink board, then covered that with pink fanfold. then we will do the R21 rolled insulation. that's for the walls. In the ceiling we will do R19 in the rafters then blow cellulose on top of that. should be nice. lee

Well
Production is going a little slower than I'd like. Between work the heat and the rain, I feel like I am at least a month behind where I'd like to be.
The walls are up, insulation is mostly in, and I have the white steel panels for the interior walls on the property. Dad is doing some final insulation and wiring this week.
I was a little hung up on what to do with my office/shooting room, but I think I now have a plan. I'm at work on my phone, so when I get home I'll post some pics.
One thing is for sure. Whatever you think it will take money wise to complete a project. Plan on adding about 25% to that figure. Lol.

I do have my two outside shooting benches up and that alone is or was worth the wait and effort. I love it! Lee

Ps, I'm not going to proof read this so sorry if my auto correct does it's thing. I'll update this evening with photoes.

I am 64 and have built shops before, but the challenge with the one I am building this year was to get a Bridgeport in. I made a wall that hinged. We got it in the building, closed the wall. Then how to get the mill off the pallet? I had to temporary a bunch of beams in the high ceiling. I should have used a chain hoist, but I just used a cable type engine hoist.

Attachments

• bridgeport uncrating .jpg
    bridgeport uncrating .jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 306
Back