m70 6br

Jay Cutright

Winchester Model 70 6 BR

Anyone know of any problems associated with the 6br chambered in a Winchester model 70?
I have one here with a detectable magazine that I'm going to put a custom barrel on. Its a short action with a claw extractor I'm just wondering about feeding and extracting the short cases?

Last edited:
Jay,
I don't think you'd have any extraction issues assuming the bolt face is for the 308 family of cartridges. As a feeding test, load up some 6BR dummy rounds with the bullet you plan to use and try to cycle them through the action with the current barrel, again assuming that the current chambering is a 243, 260, 7-08 or a 308. They all have the same base diameter as the 6BR.

All i have is an action. I don't think it will be a problem but i can picture that little case wanting to tip bullet up into the breach cone and be hard to cycle or cause bullet deformation.

Anyone know of any problems associated with the 6br chambered in a winchester model 70?
I have one here with a detectable magazine that im going to put a custom barrel on. Its a short action with a claw extracor im just wondering about feeding and extracting the short cases?

Information about m07 6br
- Stiller Tac-30
-McMillan McHale stock
-Brux Barrel 30" finish...Broken Flutes...7.5 twist
-Rifle Basix LV-1 Trigger
-CDI bottom metal
-Harris Bipod 6-9" Swivel
-Stiller 20MOA Base
-Millet 6-25 LRS (Not Pictured)

Jay,
Are you doing the work or are you having someone else do it?

I'll do it.
The fellar this is for left the chambering up to me.
He wants a varmint/tactical rifle that he can also use for 600yd BR. Im gonna do this in 6 BR and if there is a problem I'll open it up to a 6x47 or 243?
I thought someone might chime in here and say "I've got one chambered in 6 BR and it works great", but, maybe not.

Last edited:
Jay, I've got a push-feed M70 in 6 Dasher, which as you probably know, is a BR with the body blown forward .100" and a 40* shoulder. Though I wanted to be able to use it as a repeater, the ejector is awfully inconsistent - sometimes getting the case to roll out of the action, and sometimes not. So I installed a fixed follower/loading ramp and use it as a single shot. Ejection with the claw extractor of your action will probably be a whole lot more positive, but I'm not sure how it'll feed.

Jay,
IMO the 6BR is lacking in the horsepower department for varmints. The 243 is a little hard on barrels. I think I'd go with the 6x47 for a happy medium. Just my way of thinking. The reason I asked if you were doing the work.......I was thinking you could use a barrel stub fitted to the action for function testing. It would be a little more work, but it would answer the feed & extract question for sure.

I've killed lots of coyote with a 6 ppc and for years only had a 223. He will get by fine with a 6br and will be better off on targets too.
Most shots at coyote around here is inside 300yd.

I'm not sure what sorts of vermin the 6 BR is short on steam for, but unless a guy is having problems with grizzlies raiding his chicken coop most varmints I can think of are going to be dead meat out as far as a guy can see and hit them.

My 6 BR is on a nearly 40 year old Ruger 77 action, and I'm still fiddling with loads for it but use a single shot adapter in all my varmint rifles. For a tactical rifle I can certainly see the value of a magazine, but for benhrest and varmints a single shot is can be reloaded as fast as I've ever needed having never been charged by an enraged wounded bull marmot or prairie dog.

He has a winchester action with a detectable magazine for the build and that's what he wants.
Im gonna just do it and see how it goes, if i don't like the way it functions I'll make it a 6x47.

Not exactly on subject however, I used 22 Dasher on P Dogs this year. It was awesome. Several over 600 yards.

Back