M1 garand

Its all about who puts it together. Check with the few garand gunsmiths that build match winners and let em at it

M1 Garand

Bud,
My Garand barrel looks like a rail road track on top of the lands, lucky to hit a 1.5'x1.5' target at 200 yds.
john
Mims, Fl

M1 Garand

wow pretty bad fla mac.
I have 2 both shoot fairly well considering what their intent was.
Most need some work due to war time productions.
They were only built for 3 minutes of angle. Most new did better.

The Garand

was and is a battle rifle, not a target rifle. As we all know, in the right hands, one can be improved to shoot better for battle rifle competition, but then there are rules that govern vintage Garand matches and some improvements are not allowed.

Its a battle rifle. Enjoy it for what it is.

was and is a battle rifle, not a target rifle. As we all know, in the right hands, one can be improved to shoot better for battle rifle competition, but then there are rules that govern vintage Garand matches and some improvements are not allowed.

Its a battle rifle. Enjoy it for what it is.

Yep.
John Garand even put together a book on accuracy improvements. Ran across a couple of references that John like to shoot competition....

M1 Garand ,hole in Receiver

Can anyone advise what the hole is for in the RHS rear leg of a Garand receiver Grahame

Tid Bits about the Garand

To start with the Garand was my issue rifle for four years and we got along very well. We had to qualify at the range with this rifle every year. So, if you didn't do very well the first time you had the opportunity to improve. In my third year I finally qualified Expert. I aced the three hundred yard sitting rapid fire and the 500-yard prone slow fire and that was enough. I had a little luck too. The flags down at the butts hadn't changed from the day before so I didn't have to change my windage dope, I could just go. Anyway, I was a happy camper and even more so when I was invited to try out for the Division Rifle Team. Because of my position at the time my CO said you aren't going anywhere, and my young bride was afraid I would be away from home more often than I already was. It never happened and that's OK at least I got the invite.

The Springfield, Garand and the M14 all used the same simple bayonet lug. The blades started at 16 inches went down to 10 on the Garand and the final version was even shorter. The M14 was the last issue rifle that would accept a bayonet.

The M1 bayonet in boot camp was used as a measuring tool when making up your bunk. The bottom sheet was exposed the length of the blade. The top sheet was folded over the blanket the length of handle.

When the Arny was issued the new M14 we were going to be next in line which would be a matter of years. In spite of the time lapse we were issued the new bayonet before we would ever see the new rifles. We were supposed to turn in the Garand bayonet but some of us didn't. I had mine chrome plated in Okinawa and gave it to my brother when I was back stateside. My son has it now and we stuck it on the end of my O3-A3 Springfield, and it looked pretty good. It's marked USMC 1940 something. People collect them now. Should have never had it chromed.

Mort

Last edited:
I would and did send my M1 Grand to Spring Field Armory and had them upgrade it to a National Match, barrel, trigger, bedding, sights, etc.

You will love it!!

Hole in Garand receiver

Can anyone advise the need/use for the hole in the RHS of the leg in a Garand ? did it help in the machining of the piece? i.e to hold in place to m/c other areas? how about the hole for the stud to make it go faster? i.e like a BM 59 select fire?

Back