Lube when using expander die?

I use Imperial Sizing Wax on both the expander mandrel and the turning mandrel. Works very well. Then I tumble the newly turned brass with stainless steel pins, some dish detergent and Lemishine in my Thumler's rock tumbler. It cleans it all out and smooths the just-turned necks.

I am intrigued by the Jim Pag neck-cleaning method with the BW Casey bore scrubber on a Q-tip. Should work fine, except it will use a lot of Q-tips. Also, you have to do that stuff outside because it will build up chlorine fumes to dangerous levels in your house. It's also great for cleaning all sorts of plastic crud and fouling from shotgun barrels. I spray it on squares of Viva paper towels wrapped around a bore mop.

I like the Alinwa comment about the bore snake being like reusing toilet paper. Who invented that thing anyhow? Did someone say "how can I sell a bazillion of something to people who know absolutely nothing about guns and gun cleaning?"

You know the comment about how a redneck will never say "I just couldn't find a thing at Wal-mart." You know come fall, ain't too many of them walkin' by the bore snake display.

Sorry if any of you out there actually like the fool things.
Pete your right I do go thru a lot of Q-Tips but they are cheap. Also I do not do that stuff outside. The little bit that I trickle on the Q-Tip doesn't give off enough fumes to bother you. The only time I spray a lot is when I FL resize with One Shot, I'll spray the Gunscrubber on a paper towel and wipe the outside of the cases and it does give off fumes but when I do that I'll wear a respirator and gloves and that is done down my basement. I will not do out in the freezing cold to do anything with cases. I've done it this way for many years.

Last edited:
Back