LR Primer Question

jmatt

I have used Remington LR primers in my 7.62 Nato Garand and my .308 M70 for across the course. They seem to run a bit lighter (less brisance) than the Winchesters, but I never did compare them to Federal Match primers. They worked so well for me, I never had the urge to try. That was with JLK and Clinch River 175's powered by 44 gr. Varget.

But now I've got a benchrest gun, and so I switched to BR2 primers and BIB 187gr flatbase bullets. 43gr Varget leaves shiny marks on the case head, so I'm dropping to 42.5 next time out. But I feel like the BR2 Primers are not doing me any favors. After I get the gun/load combo figured out with the BR2's, I'll do some testing and development with the Remington primers. But, have any of you noticed the Remingtons seem to run "lighter" or "smoother"?

Please chime in with your experiences using various primers with Varget in heavy 308 loads.

lr primer question

I have tried several types of LR primers.
Remember that a new rifle has a different chamber .
I have shot a 308 off the bench many times my best loads were with the CCI benchrest primer and also the federal math primer Both are really good.
What case caliber are you using ?
Twist and powders you have. If it's 308 i have some proven loads that shoot in a 14 and a 12 twist. If your new to benchrest there are other things that get good recults like Neck turning case and the rest of benchrest loading.
It's a bit different then over the course.... Saltzer has quite a bit of information also. Remember we are shooting for thousand,s of and inch in group shooting.

I stay away from Remington primers just because of German's fine article. Man that is way too much primer flash.

lr primer question

Yes those are pretty hot primers I AGREE'
They were Made more or less for the really slow powders IE
IMR 4831 , 4350 and some surplus powders used.
Those really slow numbers can be Hard to light up .

One more thing about primer testing, I don't know how many times that I have seen someone "test" primers by holding everything else in the loads constant. There may be a problem with this. If tune is closely related to velocity, and different primers produce different velocities with the same amount of powder, it may be that the proper way to evaluate them is to vary the powder charges to achieve uniform velocities, holding that constant rather than the powder charge. It may also be that different primers have different optimal settings for seating depth and neck tension. I know that this is true, for different powders for neck tension in a 6 PPC.

Currently, my theory of operation is that I use the mildest primer that is available for a particular application, except for large cases. For my 6PPC, I have used Federal, CCI BR4, Russian, and Winchester primers with satisfactory results.

A long time ago, I tried Remington BR primers in an accurate .222. I got better results with Federals. Since then, for small cases, in accurate rifles, I have stayed away from Remingtons. When they become available, I intend to do some serious testing of the Russian small rifle magnum (thicker cup) primers.

I have tried several types of LR primers.
Remember that a new rifle has a different chamber .
I have shot a 308 off the bench many times my best loads were with the CCI benchrest primer and also the federal math primer Both are really good.
What case caliber are you using ?
Twist and powders you have. If it's 308 i have some proven loads that shoot in a 14 and a 12 twist. If your new to benchrest there are other things that get good recults like Neck turning case and the rest of benchrest loading.
It's a bit different then over the course.... Saltzer has quite a bit of information also. Remember we are shooting for thousand,s of and inch in group shooting.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their expertise with a newbie. There's a ton of information in those nuggets! I'll be re-thinking my Remington loads based this feedback. My BR gun started off as ,"Its time rebarrel this old 308 Remington 600.", and it kinda got outta hand... It's a 308 chamber that is not so tight as to require neckturning, with a 12 twist Kreiger.

I'm now using Lapua brass just for this gun, but I've not ventured into neck turning land as yet... But I see it approaching real fast. What would you guys suggest as the most user friendly manual set-up?

Matt, you may get something from my primer articles which are posted here: http://www.riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/ go to the June section. I would recommend reading the Small Primer article first, it has all the background information, the Large Primer article is a continuation.

In short, the Remington is a much more violent primer than the others you mentioned and will usually generate more pressure variance.

Great stuff on your blog! Thanks! Looks like the BR2 should offer a lot more than I'm giving it cre4dit for. I'm shooting next weekend, and this will only be my 3rd match with this gun, and I get almost zero practice time, so it should be interesting. There's only about 300 rounds through it so far, but everything inside should be getting happy now.

BTW, the long blank areas on your blog result from using Microsoft to convert a Word document to HTML. Word is HORRENDOUS for that.:mad: If that is the only method available to you, try keeping your Word formatting as simple as possible. Leave out all the fancy formatting if you can, keep the bold type limited and consistant, and check for empty paragraph returns and then delete them before doing the conversion. That will give Word less to "interpret", and should eliminate a lot of the empty spaces.

Or you can email me an article, and I'd be happy to convert it to HTML for you using Dreamweaver, and email it back.

... it may be that the proper way to evaluate them is to vary the powder charges to achieve uniform velocities, holding that constant rather than the powder charge...QUOTE]

That is an excellent point. In Service Rifle, we were always using Winchester primers. So when I went to Remingtons, its quite possible that I went from the worst choice possible to the 2nd worst! But to me, it was an improvement! I was always a bit shy of match primers in my Garand, as I was always afraid of the dreaded slam-fire. (Unfortunately, that led to several cases of M1 Thum:eek:b!)

So, just when I thought I had all the equipment I needed, looks like I'll be stalking the gun shows for chronos...

Back