Looking for wind flag suggestions

M

MaxPower6789

I figure its time to get some real wind flags. I've been using ribbon tied to stakes, but at longer distances its very difficult to tell if wind is blowing at you or away from you. I know there are tons of designs, just curious what people are using.

Shawn

Wind flags

Have a look at Flying Fish Fundamentals an advertiser of Benchrest Central several different styles all excellent.

These are very well made, and their design is very good. There are a number of options, and if you get serious about ordering some, I suggest that you call Rick and discuss them with him. Recently, a friend, who is new to benchrest, and had been borrowing some of mine (Hoods, no longer made) got a boxed set of Rick's, that he is very pleased with. I also helped him by finding a good deal on stands, and some inexpensive photo ball heads to plumb the pivots. http://www.brflags.com/

The flags mentioned are good. So are these. http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?86823-What-has-made-the-greatest-contribution-to-shrinking-aggs There's an ad in the classifieds with more details.
photobucket-89041-1371574160642_zps8e3e491f.jpg

Try looking up the classic Wicks Dual Vane flags in the classified. Last years world air rifle champion used them.

Try looking up the classic Wicks Dual Vane flags in the classified. Last years world air rifle champion used them.

Shawn,
The Wicks design is the best one out there to show quartering winds, something you've got to pay attention to more for air rifle BR than any of the other BR disciplines. I'll be taking a set to Plzen with me for sure!
Todd

Thanks for all the suggestions, this forum rocks!! Decision time...

Get the Wick's dual vane flags.

I have shot over all kinds of flags and always find the Wick's dual vane flags the easiest to read. Like Todd said, you really have to be able to see the angles the wind is blowing and the dual vane makes it much easier, at least for me. Ray Hill makes the Wick's flags now, great folks to deal with. Good luck.

Wind flags

IMG_6447[1].jpg
I have shot over all kinds of flags and always find the Wick's dual vane flags the easiest to read. Like Todd said, you really have to be able to see the angles the wind is blowing and the dual vane makes it much easier, at least for me. Ray Hill makes the Wick's flags now, great folks to deal with. Good luck.

The best wind flages made in the world and most used are the ones designed by Multi world BR champs Stuart and Ann Elliot - Benchrest shooting Supplies. go and look at some photographs of large shooting championships around the world and it is a forrest of these flages. www.benchrest.com.au I have never heard a negitive report on them. Mine are faultless after 12 plus years.
Go to their site and have a look They have agents in the USA and around the world. regards Phill

flags.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I figure its time to get some real wind flags. I've been using ribbon tied to stakes, but at longer distances its very difficult to tell if wind is blowing at you or away from you. I know there are tons of designs, just curious what people are using.

Shawn

Here's what the WINNERS are using!

GRAHAM WIND FLAGS: www.brflags.com

3 new World Records last year!

Tom Libby with his .086, 200 yd Sporter group at the Nationals!

Mark Walker with his .0846, 200 yd group at the WA State Unlimited Championships!

Rick Graham with his .199, 10 shot, 5 group, 200 yd unlimited class agg.

Eric Stanton, NW Regional 4 Gun Championship win!

Dennis Thornberry, CA State Championship 4 Gun win!

Lou Murdica won the Cactus Classic!

Tom Libby, Southwest Regional 4 Gun winner!

Jeff Yost posted a .1808, 10 shot, 5 group, 100 yd, unlimited class agg World Record!

Britt Robinson 2 Gun winner Buffalo Shoot!

Congratulations to Eric Stanton, Lou Murdica, and Jeff Yost who finished
1st, 2nd, and 3rd at the Long Range BR Nationals at Reno!

Back