Looking for some advice

R

robierto

I hope this is the right forum to post, if not Mods please move it.

I've got a .22-250 in a Howa Axiom. It's not a bad shooter. I
stretched it out to 200yds and boy was it off, I have it pretty close
and will give a quick rundown to get some advice as what to do next.

I shoot shelf ammo and will until I learn to reload.
These shots were from a lead sled with sustained 10mph winds and gusts to 18mph.
I waited for the wind to die down the best that I could.
I don't have much experience this far and the scope I had just wasn't
clear as I hoped.
I cleaned the gun after every 3rd round, all hand loaded to the chamber.

Here is my 1st 200yd shot, it's roughly 3"left, 3" low:
3e853f51.jpg

Verify:
52d04bc7.jpg
notice the .22lr with about 12" hold over lol

First you will see the sticker just below the bull then my final adjustment for three rounds. This was one click up, from one right one up from the first two rounds. Can I adjust 1/2 click? Would like to be on the money. Maybe my crosshairs aren't true 90*?

b68673a2.jpg

Thanks for the responses...

It really was tough, typing and posting all that from a phone! Um let me better desribe:
Pic #1-- 1st shot wasn't 100% sure if the shot placement was due to me or the gun.
Pic #2--Verified.
Pic #3--Well I shot between these pics and made an adjustment. I adjusted 6 up/6right...outcome=3"high and 3" right.
So I then backed off to 3 down and 3 left it put me center but low.
Then finally I adjusted one up and shot 3 rounds.

All in all I feel okay. I would like to stretch it out further after I have a clear understanding from the advice I hope to recieve...

As far as your placement goes for a sustained 10mph wind that is gusting to 18mph I'd say you couldn't ask for too much more from your setup and ammo (group in picture number 3 measures about 1"?).

When you mentioned that the first two shots were way off low and left, was the scope zeroed at 100? was the wind from right to left at 200yds? That much wind can push a bullet quite a ways and the drop from 100yds to 200yds for a 22-250 is probably around 3" so the shots being low would be expected without making proper scope clicks up (I don't mean to be presumptuous, but you didn't mention that you had clicked up prior to shooting your first two shots in pic #1).

I would give yourself some time at 200yds and shoot a few more groups before making any real decisions as to the gun's capabilities and where your zero is. Once you start hand loading you will see the real potential of your gun although I have had some great success with brands such as Black Hills in my .223.

What will you be using the gun for?
Mike

I can give you a few more pics now that I'm home from work...

7b7c4b2a.jpg

This is 50yds with .22-250, 1" low and close to 1/2" left.
.22LR, 1/4" high and right.

d6b13a68.jpg

Here is 100yds with .22-250, about 1/4" high and left
.22LR, 1/4" low and right

This is with no adjustment from the last time I sighted the rifle in at 100yds
I was simply just seeing where I left the .22LR from the last time I shot it as well, hell it did okay ;)

Next up I shot at 150yds and pretty much had the same outcome of my 1st shot at 200 that you see above before I verified at 200, pic #2 ( no adjustment)

554e79bc.jpg

after my three rounds at 200 I finished with one last shot at 150yds
this was my adjustment of 3/3,
(then I went up one click because I shot low at 200, covered it up with a target sticker, then shot the 3)
85285cae.jpg

I hope that clears things up, I was shooting prone. It was breezy! I focused the best I could on my heart rate, breathing, wind gusts. This was in my back yard with some paperplates, one target, a bucket, sharpie, and some old haybales LOL. Kinda red neck, or coonass from where I'm from lmao, but I just wanted to see how I could do given my best effort. I picked up the gun instead of building a long range target rifle which is what I'm researching to do this year, so send me some pm's if you have some good suggestions! It was mainly for varmits after deer season, and something to shoot a few hundred yards accurately. I love accuracy, consistency, and the whole sport as a whole. I have a lot to learn and can't wait to learn more. Thanks for the compliments and happy shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really need some wind flags. Even something simple like surveyor tape on a stick to watch what the wind does. You should space out about 6 to 200yds

My suggestion

1. Stop cleaning so much.
2. Shoot groups and quit adjusting your scope in the middle of your shot strings.

You mentioned that you were adjusting your scope but we don't know what type/brand you have. If it isn't a quality optic, you could be chasing your tail with regards to impact point.
If you don't have wind flags, get a couple of metal coat hangars and straighten them out. Add a bit of surveyors tape or even a strip of plastic shopping bag to them. Then you can see what the wind is doing. Make at least three of them.
Use a rear support/bag.
If you are going to make your own targets, make them exactly the same and the same size with regards to the aiming point. Aim small miss small. .. It really does help.

Accurateshooter.com has printable targets

Lastly enjoy yourself

One other suggestion- get rid of those shoot n c targets. One shot wipes out your aiming point and makes the groups look huge and confusing. Those are made for deer rifles with 4x scopes checking zero before season at 25yds off a truck hood

Another thing about those targets. Your first shot was really high and right. It looks low and left because you pasted the target on up-side down. :confused:

If you love precision and accuracy, learning how to handload safely and properly will get you there faster. After cleaning it can take a few shots to foul the barrel to where it levels off. And yes, get some type of wind flags.

Back