Looking for opinion on my 222 1/2 loads

So I have had a 222 1/2 built in kelby stock Haverkamp action and Lila 3 groove and Shilen 6 groove barrels. I'd love to know how to post a picture. Steve Kostonich built the rifle and dies nd let me say they are complete accuracy works of arts. OT but he Lso build me a 22 CHeetah on a Cooper M22 and man is it incredible. The powder that it loved is beeingdipscontinueod. So live it up now then prob focus on rl15 and IMR 4320.

Alright now this duece 1/2. So far, using prepped LC '09 cases prepped. Kinda surprised at the wind sensitivity but noy my concern

What it was that I found so fascinating was it ability to. Digest large charges of powderl

The LC '09 hold 1gr More then my 22-100 PPC. What impressed me was that I worked up to 26.7 gr n130 and 27.3 gr of pull down 8208. My best load was 27gr 8208 w/ 52 Watson. Now my other load was n130 @27 gr and it shot great too but sensitive to THe wind.

My question is that do you wise men think abou the size of the loads this thing gobbles up? I going to strt FL sizing them soon Nd we can see haw this primer pockets are for snugness.

Tim

The powder I use for my CHeetah that is being discontinued is IMR 4007. I shoot 47.5 gr with 52 gr Remington BR bullets seated 5 thousands from lands. I haven't chronoed this load but from all the other loads I've chronoed I estimate the velocity to be 4150-4200 FPS.

Yes, alright I want to discuss the 222 1/2. A little more background: The reamers were ground using a chambering called the .223 Fruend as a reference. After making some inquiries about a 222 1/2 here at BR Central i was contacted by a man who had fired cases for a wildcat he called 223 Fruend. Technically some may not call it a 222 1/2. This version puts a 222 neck on a 223 case with 35* shoulder and min body taper. I wish I knew how to post pictures but when a .223, .222, and my case are stood in a line, my 222 1/2 splits the differnce between the other two in shoulder height.

Im going to see if I can figure out how to post pics of gun and case. On a side note I'm really liking my Kelbly SPG stock.

tim

Sounds like a 222.5

I had a fairly sophisticated 222.5 - sold it to Bob White and wished a hundred times I had it back. I believe I loaded it with a nearly full case of H322 (government) and won a few trophies with it. Never placed first but back then I was tickled to death with a second or third. You got to have some really good bullets for that thing...for all those things.

Sold it to Bob at the Super Shoot so I could buy a Jones powder drop and a few other goodies...not to mention the gas home. Good deal I suppose but, again, I wished I had it back.

And I thought my spelling was the worst here. LOL!!
I bet the OP typed this from a tree stand on his I phone. Just pulling your chain a little. Have fun with that 222. I would love to own one myself. Lee

Yes, alright I want to discuss the 222 1/2. A little more background: The reamers were ground using a chambering called the .223 Fruend as a reference. After making some inquiries about a 222 1/2 here at BR Central i was contacted by a man who had fired cases for a wildcat he called 223 Fruend. Technically some may not call it a 222 1/2. This version puts a 222 neck on a 223 case with 35* shoulder and min body taper. I wish I knew how to post pictures but when a .223, .222, and my case are stood in a line, my 222 1/2 splits the differnce between the other two in shoulder height.

Im going to see if I can figure out how to post pics of gun and case. On a side note I'm really liking my Kelbly SPG stock.

tim

If the 8208 is working, what's wrong with that? H-4895 - and especially, Win. 748 - a ball powder BTW - are both good choices. :p 4895 and 748 were very good in my pair 222&1/2s, & a .222. ;) RG

If the 8208 is working, what's wrong with that? H-4895 - and especially, Win. 748 - a ball powder BTW - are both good choices. :p 4895 and 748 were very good in my pair 222&1/2s, & a .222. ;) RG

You are correct when you say if 8208 is working stick with that, but...

There was a time when I believed Xterm was the wonder powder for .22 cal BR cartridges and it might be but when it gets in the 50's or colder it goes to hell. I have become wary of powders that fill the case to upper neck section and then leave no room to go up when the temp drops. Right now with my 22-.100 I am y bexperimenting with fast burning powders in a 1-15" HV Hart barrel. Right now we are having 40* weather so I use Rem 7 1/2 primers exclusively. By fast powders I mean N130, H4198, AA2200, and a milsurp called Russian4198. The Russian 4198 shoots great but its burn rate is more like Russian 4227 and I've blown a bunch of primers with this powder. If I could find a man who could make me a 7 ogive weighing 42gr then that would b the first powder I would try.

So I'll keep forging ahead and post my results as I go. Oh, I bought a Leupold 40x45 Comp scope today and I am super pumped! This should be a major upgrade from my fairly large collections of 36x weavers. I went and shot 10-5 shot groups with my 22-100 on Friday and the agg was .499! I blame either the scope or that particular rifle doesn't like my bag set up. Hmmmm......

You are correct when you say if 8208 is working stick with that, but...

There was a time when I believed Xterm was the wonder powder for .22 cal BR cartridges and it might be but when it gets in the 50's or colder it goes to hell. I have become wary of powders that fill the case to upper neck section and then leave no room to go up when the temp drops. Right now with my 22-.100 I am y bexperimenting with fast burning powders in a 1-15" HV Hart barrel. Right now we are having 40* weather so I use Rem 7 1/2 primers exclusively. By fast powders I mean N130, H4198, AA2200, and a milsurp called Russian4198. The Russian 4198 shoots great but its burn rate is more like Russian 4227 and I've blown a bunch of primers with this powder. If I could find a man who could make me a 7 ogive weighing 42gr then that would b the first powder I would try.

So I'll keep forging ahead and post my results as I go. Oh, I bought a Leupold 40x45 Comp scope today and I am super pumped! This should be a major upgrade from my fairly large collections of 36x weavers. I went and shot 10-5 shot groups with my 22-100 on Friday and the agg was .499! I blame either the scope or that particular rifle doesn't like my bag set up. Hmmmm......

Oh, yeah, I forgot - "back in the day", for the .222 family, H/IMR 4198 were the GO TO powders! :eek:;) RG

P.S. - I'm a little slow - the 15" twist IS an issue - just too slow for bullets based upon the traditional .705" jacket length - regardless of weight! You need to find some bullets based upon the .640" long jackets. :eek:

Last edited:
I have high hopes for the LT30 that's due to be released in the near future. I think it will be right on for the short 22's. I hope anyway.
This fall I decided to do a little experimenting, and I had PTG make me a reamer for a 22 short that's a tad different. I went 110 short on the ppc case, and I am using 35 degree shoulders instead of the normal 30 degree. the neck is a little longer than a standard ppc as well. All I have done thus far is blow out some cases for the die maker. What I have noticed is this little case sure holds some powder. I can fit 28.5 grains of 133 in this little bugger. Accuracy was spot on, but that's a little premature to say at this point. The dies will be done soon. I cant wait!! lee

Back