Looking for info on a C C Johnson Remington Pistol

K

Keith M

I have an 1867 Remington Rolling Block Pistol that was converted to 22 Hornet by C.C. Johnson. I understand his grandson is on this sight. The number under the forestock is 46134. C C Johnson is stamped on the barrelalong with Thackery O.

I would like any information I can get on this unique gun. I work in the metalworking industry and this is a true work of art.

Keith Maxwell
kmaxwell@tds.net

I once had a Winchester Hi-Wall R-2 Lovell made by him. If you can find it," 22 caliber varmint rifles" by C.S. Landis has a picture of him sitting in his shop. He did good work, and was quite well known. I believe the Hornet, and R-2 was somewhat of a specialty with him. Can you post a picture of the Remington?

A number of years ago, PRECISION SHOOTING published contact information for C.C. Johnson's grandson. The grandson had records / receipts regarding the gunsmith's work. For a $5.00 fee, the info would be researched, copied, and forwarded to the requestor. The information usually had the date the work was done, the charge; maybe a bit more. If one wants to go to the trouble, probably best to contact the PS editor.

C.C. Johnson had a shop in Lawrenceville, Ohio - about 6 miles from the Clark County seat of Springfield. The town has probably never had more than 300 people. My grandfather had a farm about 5 miles away and had a Stevens Favorite that C.C. re-barreled (probably in the 1940's). It now resides in my gunsafe. I have seen several of his rifles for sale in the southern Ohio area, usually in .219 Zipper. They are nicely built rifles, but I never had the money when they came up.

Thackery, Ohio is about 6 miles north of Lawrenceville and if I recall correctly, it was little more than a railroad crossing and a grain elevator.

Last edited:
You can check in at the ASSRA site as he has a request notification posting sticky'd over there.

You can check in at the ASSRA site as he has a request notification posting sticky'd over there.

What is a request notification - I couldn't find it. I am not a member of ASSRA.

Keith M

His name is Jerry Johnson and just click on the below link and it should take you there. I am not sure if you will need to sign up and onto the site to access his personnel message option and to do so simply click on his alias / site name and it will take you there.

It took me awile to find it but here is his e-mail address so you can bypass having to go through the ASSRA site

jcjohnsons@hotmail.com

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1266234548

J.Louis

Last edited:
Back