Looking for advice

I think I have a idea on the cost of equipment, I don't always type what I'm thinking! I have been offered the use of equipment to get started, but what about the components? Every manufacture claims to have the best, but what does experience tell you guys, that have been doing this for awhile. Bullets - Berger, Sierra, Speer, or what?? - Powder- Varget, Vhti, Hogdon H-4895 or what?? Brass - Federal, Winchester, Remington, Laupa or what ?? -- Primers - CCI, Federal, Russian, or what?? I would guess someone has reloaded for a savage 308 BR 12 twist and could suggest a starting point to work from rather than me hanging up the names and throwing darts.:)

Here are just some ideas to narrow things down:
Brass: Lapua, Winchester or Federal. If you've shot some Federal factory loads, start out there.
Primer: Let's say start with Federal and vary from there.
Powder: Start with Reloader 15 or Varget.
Bullet: Gosh, how about start with 155 SMK.

I'd start 10% down from one of the Lapua or SMK 155 loads on the 6mmBR link I posted. With the bullet making marks slightly longer than wide. Then run a "ladder test" increasing powder by a half-grain or so and find something that looks like it wants to shoot. When you find that, you can vary the seating depth.

I'd go to Tractor Supply or similar and buy some fiberglass fence stakes or "snow poles" and put a long ribbon of surveyor's tape on the top. That's a better wind flag than just guessing.

Or if the ground tends to get harder than a politicians heart where you are you might want to use rebar with a point ground on the end and surveyors tape tied to the top of it. Around here in the summer time trying to drive a fiberglass anything into the ground would be frustrating as anything. Lotsa broken fiberglass too.

Get some Speer 125 TNT bullets very accurate and inexpensive. Federal primers and some H4895 powder installed in a piece of lapua brass. The lighter weight bullets say than the traditional 168 sierra and are a lot easier on your shoulder. The TNT's are outstanding on the target of you could just figure out how to separate the 1 in 10 or so that is a flyer. Some claim luck at that by weight sorting.

What he said!!!

If I were in your shoes (and I have been, often) I'd first invest in one of these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/288765/wheeler-engineering-barrel-nut-wrench-savage-10-110 and reset the headspace to crush fit on your brass of choice.

I would then invest in a set of these http://www.lewilson.com/necksizedie.html and a tube of this http://www.amazon.com/Shooters-Choice-Hi-Tech-Grease-Syringe/dp/B00271ESH6 and remember to GREASE YOUR BOLT LUGS EVERY 25RDS!!! and have at it.

This will allow you to realize the potential of that barrel, birth a whole slew of relevant questions and get you well and truly hooked on rolling your own.

hth

al

These are things that I picked up later rather than sooner. Getya a good mentor as while there is a plethora of excellent advice available there are also a !@##$# load of keyboard shooters who's advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. When I first started several years ago Kiff warned me of the "keyboard" guys and he is right. The other thing is slo and steady in following advice. If you are new to this forum, read a bit. You will soon figger out to whom you should listen. I make these comments NOT to dispariage well meaning individuals but to make you aware of them.
TMT

Al - Laser
You say to reset the headspace to "crush fit" on the brass, I'm confused? I thought the headspace was set with a "go - no go" gauge which has very close tolerances? Crush fit to me, means one of the gauges isn't going to fit!
Please educate me!
Thanks

Flat Land,

"go" gage is used to set your chamber dimension such that any and all cases you'll likely run across will drop in for a loose fit.

"no go" is longer, commonly by .003, it's not supposed supposed to close in the rifle.

"crush fit" is well under the go gage, you set the headspace to touch the brass you're using.

al

Al - Laser
You say to reset the headspace to "crush fit" on the brass, I'm confused? I thought the headspace was set with a "go - no go" gauge which has very close tolerances? Crush fit to me, means one of the gauges isn't going to fit!
Please educate me!
Thanks
Please do not take this the wrong way as I mean well. Right off the reel your question tells me that you need a mentor. YOU NEED TO SIT WITH SOMEONE TO GET YOU STARTED. I loaded for years for my hunting guns and was fat, dumb and happy not really understanding things.But I had someone to show me how, what and why. A lot of that stuff is not applicable to me anymore, but I needed to experience it. As I got into precision shooting and reloading I acquired and disgarded a LOT of useless info. that I took to be gospel. Proceed slowly. I sense that you have the correct approach in that you are asking questions first. GREAT!
What crush fit refers to is how the brass fits after resizing. At this step in the process whatever the headspace number, it is academec at best. Another poster mentioned 3to 5 thou as the headspace. I will back out here as I agree with Al about the crush fit thing and don't want things to turn away from your original needs. Five defferent guys will give you at least three different slants on how to acquire "crush fit". I agree with Al because I adopted it and my gun performed much better. MY EXPERIENCE ONLY AND NOT TO DISAGREE WITH ANYONE. Whatever the person who gets you started goes with is good enough to get you started. Don't spend too much money right away because you WILL chuck some things or loose them or sell them on e-bay or give them away to a rookie. Bustin' shells is more fun than anything else in my life short of hearing the kids laugh. Good Luck and have fun.All of the things others mentioned will come into play in time but start WITH SOMEONE.
Tim Thompson

Laser - thanks for the comments, you confirmed some of my thoughts. I found some one who is willing to provide help, info and access to equipment. Some of the equipment I can try to see if I like and some to purchase. I'm not going to jump in and buy just for the fun of it. I started this post hoping to get input to consider prior to any significant purchase. I won't follow the crowd unless I believe that is really the way to go. i've spent a couple of days at the range with a mentor and have learned several things about set up, gun handling (hold & pin) and the use of flags and have made improvements. We are now starting to talk about reloading.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Wow!
I finally posted something that was appreciated. You are more than welcome. Hope things work out for you.
TMT

Back