Looking for a used Scraping Straight edge

Pete Wass

I am looking for a scraped cast iron straight edge to use for scraping in the cross slide and compound ways on my lathe. I would like to find one the is 2" thick by 4" wide and 18" long that has a 45* angle on one side of it. It doesn't have to be "scraped In", I can do that.

Thanks,

Pete

Last edited:
Have you tried the Practical Machinist web site? I don't go there anymore because I was chastised for having Asian lathe and mill, but you might find someone there who deals in this.

It's only confusing

+1

The question was a little confusing.

to those who don't know about scraping and the equipment necessary to Scrape. I was looking for someone who knew and who might have a straight edge they would either sell, rent or loan.

The small straight edges I am more familiar with are a flat piece of cast iron, scraped flat and have a 45* bevel cut on one side, which is also scraped straight. The Camelback's, as pictured above seem to be what has come to be used now a day. They existed when I Scraped for a living but i never saw smaller ones , like the one pictured back then. The straight edge is used to rub on the surface to be scraped flat and in alignment with the rest of the machine. There are some good YouTubes on Scraping. I haven't done any scraping in 30 years or more but it's like the bicycle thing, once one knows, it's easy to do again.

Pete

I have not

Have you tried the Practical Machinist web site? I don't go there anymore because I was chastised for having Asian lathe and mill, but you might find someone there who deals in this.

for I have sinned and now own a ChiCom machine as well. I haven't found these kind of forums and websites to be very helpful, overall.

Pete

to those who don't know about scraping and the equipment necessary to Scrape. I was looking for someone who knew and who might have a straight edge they would either sell, rent or loan.

The small straight edges I am more familiar with are a flat piece of cast iron, scraped flat and have a 45* bevel cut on one side, which is also scraped straight. The Camelback's, as pictured above seem to be what has come to be used now a day. They existed when I Scraped for a living but i never saw smaller ones , like the one pictured back then. The straight edge is used to rub on the surface to be scraped flat and in alignment with the rest of the machine. There are some good YouTubes on Scraping. I haven't done any scraping in 30 years or more but it's like the bicycle thing, once one knows, it's easy to do again.

Pete

Pete

I have done more hand scraping than you will ever do in a life time...just didn't understand your question.

Mort

Scraping

Pete
I see you went back to edit your original post. It's a much easier read.

Mort

Scraping

For those of you interested in scraping check out Keith Rucker, YouTube channel, Vintage Machine shop. I don't recall the dates of the events but he hosted two workshops for a number of guys wanting to learn scraping. He had a professional scraper instructing the methods to scrap, this was a very informative class, though we as viewers probably didn't see all the methods, materials used etc. but informative. One of the classes was this year and the other in the fall 2016. Good luck and enjoy.
Bob

Being a Youtube Junkie

For those of you interested in scraping check out Keith Rucker, YouTube channel, Vintage Machine shop. I don't recall the dates of the events but he hosted two workshops for a number of guys wanting to learn scraping. He had a professional scraper instructing the methods to scrap, this was a very informative class, though we as viewers probably didn't see all the methods, materials used etc. but informative. One of the classes was this year and the other in the fall 2016. Good luck and enjoy.
Bob

I watch every Youtube Keith Rucker puts up. Steffan Gottswinter also has put up one where he went to Denmark, I think it was was, to one of Richard King's classes. I would like to go to one but don't feel, for me, it is worth the cost, considering I can still remember most of the content. Richard King is doing a wonderful thing in teaching what he has spent a lifetime learning. There will still be a need to rebuilding machinetools as long as there are hobbiests using the machines.

Pete

This didn't need to become

Pete

I have done more hand scraping than you will ever do in a life time...just didn't understand your question.

Mort

a multi-directional urination contest. I changed only the angle degree of the bevel and shouldn't have, as I realized later. I do not think I could have been any more plain in what I asked for.

I am soon to be 73. I do not plan to do much more scraping in the few years I have left but from 1967 until 1973 I did quit a bit of scraping. I was primarily a "Wrench" troubleshooting and repairing problematic machines but the last machine I worked on was the rebuilding a small Moore Jig Bore. I did the entire machine myself, both mechanical and the scraping.

I was seduced into the realm of being a Manufacturer's Rep, which I worked at for another 7 years until I tired of too many weeks in hotels entertaining customers and not seeing the light of day for a week at a time. I instead went Farming. Cant accuse me of being very smart I guess but then I have never claimed to be.

Pete

You are welcome to borrow mine I don't have any projects coming up real soon but I will need it eventually. The one I have that size is a pattern from Rich King he sells them on practical machinist and you can contact him if you want to buy one. Richard@handscraping.com

Thanks,

You are welcome to borrow mine I don't have any projects coming up real soon but I will need it eventually. The one I have that size is a pattern from Rich King he sells them on practical machinist and you can contact him if you want to buy one. Richard@handscraping.com

I appreciate your offer and if we are still around in the spring, I will take you up on it. I will be leaving for Florida in about a month and have some traveling to do before then so I don't really have time this fall, I don't think. There are a couple of other details I need to take care of first, like making a sharpening rig for the carbide blades, etc.

Thanks so much,

Pete

I now use an Accu Finish II to sharpen the blades but before I had it I used the double end carbide tool grinder with a diamond wheel. You want a 5 degree neg for cast iron so simply set the tool rest at neg 5 and make a quick pass following the radius and then flip it over and do the same that way you get two edges on the same tool and can flip it when one side gets dull. A Biax hand scraper and blade isn't that expensive.

I don't know what an Accu finish II is

I now use an Accu Finish II to sharpen the blades but before I had it I used the double end carbide tool grinder with a diamond wheel. You want a 5 degree neg for cast iron so simply set the tool rest at neg 5 and make a quick pass following the radius and then flip it over and do the same that way you get two edges on the same tool and can flip it when one side gets dull. A Biax hand scraper and blade isn't that expensive.

Could you please give me a link?

Thanks,

Pete

Pete

I can't post a link but you can google accu finish. It's a sharpen station that has a 2 way adjustable sliding table when the sharpening wheel is vertical.
The grinder can also be rotated so the wheel lays flat . The machine runs at low RPM and uses a aluminum wheel with diamond grit.

Hal

http://accu-finish.com

The accu finish is a low speed diamond wheel sharpening system they are pricey but extremely useful in the machine shop. The company that makes them (Glendo/GRS) also make the tools engravers use.

Multi-directional urination contest

a multi-directional urination contest. I changed only the angle degree of the bevel and shouldn't have, as I realized later. I do not think I could have been any more plain in what I asked for.

I am soon to be 73. I do not plan to do much more scraping in the few years I have left but from 1967 until 1973 I did quit a bit of scraping. I was primarily a "Wrench" troubleshooting and repairing problematic machines but the last machine I worked on was the rebuilding a small Moore Jig Bore. I did the entire machine myself, both mechanical and the scraping.

I was seduced into the realm of being a Manufacturer's Rep, which I worked at for another 7 years until I tired of too many weeks in hotels entertaining customers and not seeing the light of day for a week at a time. I instead went Farming. Cant accuse me of being very smart I guess but then I have never claimed to be.

Pete

You are quite the wordsmith, which is a nice way of saying your a pretentious wind bag.
I don't want to hear from you anymore.
Just zip it young man.

Boys, Boys!!

You are quite the wordsmith, which is a nice way of saying your a pretentious wind bag.
I don't want to hear from you anymore.
Just zip it young man.

Now where's that buzzer!:mad:

Pete, now we know Mort is older than you or he wouldn't be calling you 'young man.' :rolleyes: :p

Mort, take five and get another cup of coffee. :)

This has been an interesting conversation. I have no professional training in machine work but when I first got into this stuff several years ago, I sometimes heard professionals speak of 'scraping in' something, so I did a little research on the internet. Interesting to say the least. I've never tried it but the question that always came to my mind was, why would it not be better to 'sand' or 'grind' away the high spots rather than scrape them away? Scraping just sounds so crude and unprofessional to me. :rolleyes: But remember that I'm far from a professional. :rolleyes:

By the way, Pete I know you migrate between north and south depending on the season and that's probably the reason we have had trouble getting in touch with each other but I have a question. Where do you want me to send the Beggs dies? And I need to know what neck diameter you are using so I can send the correct size carbide bushings. I hope you can come out to Odessa again soon and shoot with me in the tunnel. I've learned some amazing new things about tuners and mine have been improved somewhat which makes them much easier to use. It is no longer necessary to use tools to make adjustments and the graduations are engraved in one thousandth increments either side of center. Simple and easy! :cool:

I must thank these three men for enlightening me. In no particular order they are, Mike Ezell, Richard Brensing and Rodney Brown. Thanks guys!

Mort, you're also welcome to come out and shoot in the tunnel. When it's cold and you're freezing your arse off up there, come on down. Weather is always perfect with NO wind in the tunnel. Fly in to Midland International Airport on Southwest Airlines and I'll pick you up. We can be at the tunnel in twenty minutes. You can shoot my equipment or if you drive, bring everything you,ve got and we can check 'em out and see what they're REALLY doing.

Later guys,

Gene Beggs

Back