long wait finally over

N

nipper

first custom gun, finally finished as of today.

6.5 x 47
stiller diamondback
benchmark barrel
shehane stock
jewell trigger
nikon 6 x 24 x 50 scope
stiller rings/bases/trigger guard
gun smith- steve meldrum

newgun005.jpg

50yards001.jpg

3 shot group with above rifle at 50 yards using
lapua brass of course
remington primers
sierra 120 grain pro hunter bullets
imr 4350 powder at 38.5 grains
38.5 seems to be the sweet spot right now
ojive touching the lands

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone put your bolt on the wrong side, didnt you notice?? Otherwise very nice!!
It feels good to have rewards like fine rifles for all your hard work, and early mornings!! Congrats friend!! Lee

no i dont sorry will find out soon though..i am going out to 100 yards next, i think the group will be ok.

Ah, that first full custom rifle that shoots bugholes. Kind of like that first sweet lady.........best I can remember.

Doonald

Nipper,

Beautiful rifle and it looks like it's showing potential. Shoot that load at 100yds (3 shot) and post the group. You can tell by the black outline around the holes that the bullets are not stable. Need to check and see if it that goes away at 100.

Keep it up...extremely nice.

Hovis

i am gonna shoot some 3 shot groups tommorrow using 38.5 grains

ok i shot 4 3 shot groups at 100 yards , 2 with 38.5 grains of 4350 and 2 with 38.8 grains , the groups opened up more than i expected, i am thinking maybe 39 to 39.5 grains at 100 yards any ideas to try??

3shots001.jpg

ok i shot 4 3 shot groups at 100 yards , 2 with 38.5 grains of 4350 and 2 with 38.8 grains , the groups opened up more than i expected, i am thinking maybe 39 to 39.5 grains at 100 yards any ideas to try??

3shots001.jpg

This picture shows a big reason why you need wind flags. There is a bit over 1/2 a bullet of vertical in the group ( 3 shot I assume) but almost 4 bullets of horizontal. Bet there were no flags downrange to tell the shooter to hold for the wind.

correct sir, i didnt use wind flags and i actually have a set of yours..

the weather report was for calm wind here today but our gun club is one of the highest elevations in augusta so its rare to have calm winds..will set up flags and try again

i am thinking 40 grains larry,man when i shot 22 benchrest the ammo made the rules, now i am in control, thanks for the help so far fellows..

Really looks like you need to find the correct seating depth. Looking at your holes in the paper, the black around the bullet holes are very uneven. This needs to be fixed first.

Hovis

100yards001.jpg

i didnt adjust seating debth yet, loaded several from 38 grains up to 41.5 grains and this seems to work now at 100 yards with the 120 grain sierras i am also not 100% confident on my rear bag now. all these were touching the lands next i am going to back off 1/ 1000th and see what happens, good move?? any thoughts? was also debating on trying br-4 primers??

Bill

You might be surprised with what good bullets will do for you. Shelf grade hunting bullets aren't the norm, in BR shooting. Nice looking Rifle though... Are you setting it up for 600 BR or what?

Paul

Ah, that first full custom rifle that shoots bugholes. Kind of like that first sweet lady.........best I can remember.

Doonald

You must have a danged good memory. Seems like that was a heck of a long time ago.

Back