Long storage of ammo.

F

Fla mac

Anyone,
Can you use Argon gas to purge an ammo can for long term storage of ammunition? Not over 100 yrs.

john
Mims,Fl

Anyone,
Can you use Argon gas to purge an ammo can for long term storage of ammunition? Not over 100 yrs.

john
Mims,Fl

The rubber seal is not hermetic.

The Argon will escape.

Solder sealed metal cans are hermetic.

And NOTHING stops Helium.

We could place our helium detector (it was a mass spectrometer based unit) on the outside of a steel tank of Helium and count atoms escaping through the wall of the tank.

Last edited:
Have a case of military issue 12 gauge paper hulled 8 shot that my dad bought in 1946 it's in a tin can under vacuum. I opened another can about forty years ago, it let out a hiss, the stuff shot very good and was in perfect condition.
Charlie

Have a case of military issue 12 gauge paper hulled 8 shot that my dad bought in 1946 it's in a tin can under vacuum. I opened another can about forty years ago, it let out a hiss, the stuff shot very good and was in perfect condition.
Charlie

Old lead jacketed paper pulp insulated phone cables operated under slight air pressure to try and keep water out.

I might just open that last can and see, it will have been 71 years. But as soon as I open it, someone will say, " you could have gotten big $$$$$ if only you hadn't opened the can".

I might just open that last can and see, it will have been 71 years. But as soon as I open it, someone will say, " you could have gotten big $$$$$ if only you hadn't opened the can".

Look at it this way...there are thousands of open cans. Not many closed ones.

Back