long range 22 ammo

M

MARKS

I know this is not BR, but you guys are the ones to know. What ammo are you shooting for 100yds steel shooting? I have been out of rimfire shoot for a while, I see some of the stuff I was using is no longer made. Thanks for your help.

Mark Schronce

Just my 2 cents worth, less inflation of course. as with all our toys you need to use what it likes best, that could be the really pricy stuff ( eley 10x, rws R50 ect) or the other end of the line ( cci federal ect) or something in the middle. Generally you might have better luck with standard velocity than HI-velocity. A lot of guys are having good results with the Wolf brand (target and match) which in today's pricing is the lower end of medium cost. Some matches have a price limit on the cost of a box of ammo, so this will influence your choice also. The big three in ammo are Eley, RWS, Lapua. For the last several years Eley has been on top in the BR world. This does not give specific answer, and in reality there isn't one.

Blades has got it right. I recently used R100 which is what a lot of people use in "Fly " shooting (200 yards) with some success. In a copmpetition at 100 yards (group shooting) I managed a 4th (33) with Eley Match. If you find something "cheap" that shoots well at distance, please let us all know.

My gun is a 10-22 with custom barrel, It does like upper end ammo. but this try shooting will require a lot of ammo, and be shot for speed as well as accuracy. I would like to keep the cost as low as I can. But I will need accuracy. I has some Eley Silhouex that shoots very at 100 yds. It is a low end price range, but I can not find it listed anywhere.

Mark

I know this is not BR, but you guys are the ones to know. What ammo are you shooting for 100yds steel shooting? I have been out of rimfire shoot for a while, I see some of the stuff I was using is no longer made. Thanks for your help.

Mark Schronce

Mark, most rimfire shooters that I know find Eley Match to be about the best at 100 yards. I'm attaching an article for you to peruse that supports that opinion. Of course, it's always true that each rifle has its own personality and preferences, so only experimentation will lead you to the best ammo for a particular rifle.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/

Cordially,
Blanco

Try Lapua Rifle Match at about $6./box.
I bet if your rifle likes it (they can be ammo picky) you won't be able to tell that it didn't cost $20./box at 200 yards (or even 100 yards).

Mark,
Eley Super Silhouex is no longer made by Eley but we do have a little over 500 boxes still. Price is $5.99/box. I would be happy to send you some.

Just give me a call 325-754-5771

When I was shooting Metal Silhouettes years ago, we use to use Federal "Champion" ammo.. It was cheap and was plenty accurate for .22 rf Silhouettes. If I were going to shoot them again, I would look at Wolf Match Target, Match Extra or something in that price range.. I shot some animal targets today and had no problem keeping my shots on the front half of a squirrel target at 75 yards, using my Winchester 69-A. Just remember that you don't need minute-of-angle for silhouettes.. Minute-of-Ram at 100 yards will do...

JMHO

Dave

I went through an ammo hunt last season for a CZ 22. I didn't bother with the Winchester I used years ago in IMHSA.
I tried most of the premium ammo which all shoot decent groups at 100 yds, BUT most all had fliers that spoiled a group. It became a hunt for 'non flier' ammo.
The best I found for my piece was Eley Team. I then tried the next more expensive Eley and it was not as good. Wolf had the most fliers of all. I was told that they job out their ammo to various manufactures (lowest bidder?) including Russia. What should have been a fun time turned out to be a frustrating costly hunt. Good luck.

Back