Line bbl channel on EDGE?

alinwa

oft dis'd member
I inletted my first McMillan EDGE stock today, acquired from Bruno, so possibly "as spec'd by Lester?"

Anyway, the fill material is somewhat different than others I've inletted from flattop.

The stiffest BR stock I own is a Borden-spec'd HV which _I THINK_ is completely hollow Robertson Composite on the Tom Meredith design with internal cross-gussets and a complete composite wrap, even though it's painted everywhere the barrel channel "feels" and sounds (taps) just like everywhere else on the fore stock. And I seem to recall (misty memory, 20+yrs ago) inletting a hole into a barrel channel on one of these and finding it hollow......

(note that I may be all wet here)

And it may be proprietary, like "none of my business" I dunno... edited to add, the butt-section of this stock isn't hollow either.... it has a typical foam fill. But for some reason I seem to remember the forend being hollow.

But as a guy who feels strongly that feedback from the stock is very important to accuracy.... I have lined the barrel channel on some other builds with a layer of cf/epoxy and I feel it stiffens the stock dramatically. These were long-range setups for the most part, hunting and comp rifles specifically designed and tuned to be shot from the bipod, altho I did build a 30X47 Score rifle with a full-wrap, lined barrel channel.

Lining the barrel channel with cloth and glue adds weight.

Does anyone stiffen foam-filled stocks by lining the barrel channel with carbon fiber?

Last edited:
BTW.... to be clear, when I use the term "Borden spec'd".... the rifle is built by Sir James Hisownself and is a WONDROUS shooter, like "shoots without help, and against my improprieties" .... a completely un-picky rifle which I use to 'benchmark' all other rifles against.

(I need benchmarks cuz.... I kinda' suck)

What I mean by "Borden spec'd" is that IIRC these stocks were built FOR Jim, BY Ian in a joint venture.

(Again, I may be all wet here, may have all the names wrong except the Jim Borden part..... THAT part I'm sure of)

I have built and spec'd stocks in many degrees of stiffness. They are long range BR stocks. In my experience the stiffer stocks do not shoot any better than a flexible stock. I have a preference for some flex actually. I think it compensates better at longer range. For short range I do not have the experience to comment on how stiff or flexible a stock should be to help compensate. Your shooting style will play a role as well. If you hold the rifle, go stiffer, free recoil, you can go more flexible. The good news is, I find any of them can be tuned to shoot at the highest level.

Back