lighter bullets in .223 Rem with 1:9 twist?

Edward Ashley

My two .223 rifles have twist of 1:12, so I have been treating 60 grain bullets as my heaviest. I am thinking of acquiring a .223 with a 1:9 twist. I realize this will let me shoot longer distances using heavier bullets, but what effect will it have on my 100 yard BR shooting with 50-53 grain bullets? Any? Are there bullets too light for a 1:9 twist?

well no issue with the 50/53 they have shot well in 8's,but it is the quality of the chamber and bbl not the twist.

BR vs br, BR is competitive benchrest shooting as compared to br, shooting off a bench.

My two .223 rifles have twist of 1:12, so I have been treating 60 grain bullets as my heaviest. I am thinking of acquiring a .223 with a 1:9 twist. I realize this will let me shoot longer distances using heavier bullets, but what effect will it have on my 100 yard BR shooting with 50-53 grain bullets? Any? Are there bullets too light for a 1:9 twist?

well no issue with the 50/53 they have shot well in 8's,but it is the quality of the chamber and bbl not the twist.

BR vs br, BR is competitive benchrest shooting as compared to br, shooting off a bench.

I did not mention the rifle I am thinking of, but it is a Savage model 12 LRPV, single shot, right bolt/left port, so based on prior experience with a similar rifle in .204 Ruger, and a Model 12 F Class in 6BR, I would have confidence in the chamber and bbl. I just did not know if too light a bullet would have a problem with a fast twist. Thank you.

PS- I guess I would be a br shooter, not a BR shooter, just trying to do best I can personally, just for the satisfaction.

Last edited:
Back