Light Weight .300 Win Mag

kujones

Kjones
This isn't a bench rest question but for lack of a better forum here goes. I have a pre-64 Model 70, 300 H&H, in good condition; value $1,200 - $1,400. I'm interested in building a light weight (not ultra-light) .300 Win Mag for general North American hunting; let's say 7-1/2lbs. If I build it on the Model 70 action that I already own am I: 1) losing an inordinate amount of rifle value; 2) pissing in the wind regarding my goal of a light weight rifle?
.300 Win Mag vs .300 H&H for availability of ammunition.....

Your 300 Win Mag..

Another if you build on your Pre 64 Win model 70 action, you will loose bullet seating room because of the short magazine well. I would recomend you look at Jim Bordens actions. Why not build as good of rifle as you can. Jim Kelbly and John Pierce also make fine actions.
Nat Lambeth

Actually, I'll gain seating depth because the .300 H&H is a full-length cartridge (.375 H&H) and the .300 Win is a 30-06 length cartridge. I'm not going with a full custom rifle because of cost and I want to do something with this Model 70. It's set up with peep sights and is a ball to shoot but I get this "practicality" bug every now and then.....

Buliding on a custom action will not cost much more than doing all the work on your action and you will still have your pre 64 rifle that will only go up in value with time.

Leave the winchester the way it is and build a custom rifle, you'll be sorry if you take that apart!

Joe Salt

Would you consider trading your rifle towards a custom build? All lines are open and operators are standing by.

Dave Tooley
Tooley Custom Rifles

You have a .300 H&H. With the new powders and great new bullets I don't think you need anything but an Edge Stock from McMillan.

He's right. A new stock and the old becomes somewhat new. I've always had the intenion of building myself a 300 H&H. I don't really like the 300 Win Mag. Too much bark to suit me. The older I get I've learned I can do more with less.

Dave

Back