Leupold 36X for 1,000 yard shooting???

G

Glenn Bruce

I'm new to the long range game. I've done some long range shooting with a custom 308 and enjoyed my Leupold 6.5 - 20 power scope.
I've have a 6.5 x 284 being built as I type and I planned to use a Leupold 36X on that rifle.
Is this scope a good choice for that kind of shooting?

Glen,
I would not choose that scope. I have never shot with that much magnification, at 1000yds there has always been too much mirage for me. I typically use 30x and below on a variable power scope.
------------------Jeff

Is 50mm vs. 40mm objective a big difference at 600 to 1,000 yards?

50 vs. 40 ... I don't think so, you're still looking through the same size tube. Go with a 30mm tube instead of a 1". You'll probably end up with a 50mm with most scopes suited for this stuff anyway.
-------------------Jeff

I've used a 36 (Weaver) at 1,000 for a year or so. This is at Hawks Ridge, North Carolina. It wouldn't be my first choice, but you can use one. In other words, if you are going to buy a scope, a 24-X is probably better. If you already have a 36-X, it won't cost you anything to try it, and it will probably be OK.

I usually use a big Nightforce on the other rifle, fairly often set between 30 and 40 power.

While mirage can get bad at 1,000 yards, it usually isn't that bad. The center of a blur is still the center, just ask an of us cataract sufferers.

I've got the Leupold 36X, got it used, sent it to Leupold to have them check it out. It's been reworked and internally it's supposed to be ''as new''.
The rifle I'm having built won't be ready for 5-6 weeks, so I've got time to sell the 36X and get something more fitting. I really don't want try different scopes, I'd like to get a good scope and leave it on.
The 20X seems a bit weak at 1,000, what do most of the 1,000 yard guys use?

Those that can afford the weight (and price!) use a Nightforce, typically the *Benchrest* model, and typically the 12-42 variable.

There are a fair number of other variable power scopes on the line. I would guess that a 24 power is the most common fixed-power scope. I would have no problem using a good 20 power scope. A scope that doesn't change point-of-impact is far more important than a bit of magnification. You still see old Unertl's winning matches, but again, they wouldn't be my first choice.

You can go to the IBS website & look at match reports. Every once in a while, an equipment list is posted.

You can also go to the individual clubs websites -- North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia (alphabetically) for sure have relay results that list equipment. Usually by brand only, though.

Remember that Weaver & Sightron, as companies, have been bought & sold in recent years. So my 24-X Weaver from 1995 might be real different from a currently manufactured Weaver. Certainly the repair service has changed. Just one more reason why Leupold is highly though of. For a new Leupold, I believe you would have to go with a variable on a 30mm tube to get a 20 to 30 power scope now, but don't know for sure.

Edit -- hmmm. The past year's relay results seem gone from the NC website. Virgina still lists the nationals results try

http://www.virginia1000.com/07.Nats.LG_1.relay.full.htm

etc.

Last edited:
Back