Lets revisit the IBS 600/1000 DQ rules--kind of long.

Jerry,

You've shot a LOT of 100-200 yard NBRSA groups matches. How many times do you remember somebody getting 1 MOA penalty, and finishing ahead of anyone who didn't have a penalty? I can't remember any, but then, not really something one looks for.

The crossfire problem is another issue entirely. I'd imagine in someone can come up with a practical answer for it, it would be well received.

None that I can remember. This issue on 600/1000 yard DQ's is different in that many/most times the shooter can't see bullet holes and adjust accordingly.

As to crossfires, they are managable by the shooter.

There may not be a better answer than the current rules. Its just that when about half of the field DQ's its worth re looking. Like I said above I've not shot a lot of 600 and this recent nationals weather may have been an exception. Not an exception in wind velocity but in quick wind reversals and gusts.

So the problem isn't that they're going to lose by a lot, it is the psychological trauma of being "disqualified." Like you and I are "age challenged" and "vision challenged."

If the paper were wider and taller, more shots would print. Scores and groups with shots out there would be losers, but the DQ stigma would be gone.

OK, if we're traumatizing those youngsters too much, I could support a zero score and 2 MOA penalty rule change.

BTW, while it doesn't happen in an aggregate format, the "six on" (or 11 on) phenomena is a occasional problem at 1,000 yards win-and-advance shooting. There are a very few people who, during the course of their relay, notice it is pretty windy. They will put another shot on, and elect to re-shoot on a later relay. But according to the rules, they will be scored with their original relay. If it is less windy on the later relay, they improve their chances to win. Almost impossible to prove, but it seem to happen to the same people a little too often.

The solution to that one is to score everyone according to the relay they shoot on.

Not an exception in wind velocity but in quick wind reversals and gusts.

Jerry
This line from your earlier post is what the westcoast shooters have been saying for years.It doesn't translate well on the eastcoast because if your not used to seeing it the explanation of it doesn't make sense.
The eastcoast shooters from my observations seem to shoot in more wind than we do out west.That said I believe we shoot with more reversals so the target frames take a beating.
Waterboy

Percision shooting

Charles,

I could go along with your idea about a wider and taller target so that the kids could possibly see their hits if they were off center, just as long as the score rings size stay the same as they are now and only count score and group that is in the score rings. If 5 shots are not in the score rings, your not DQ'ed you just receive a 0 for score and group for that target. I have shot alot of times outside the score rings, 3 rds in and 2 outside the rings. That's not percision shooting. That's what brings me back time and time again, to try to better my skills so that all the shots hit the X. Benchrest shooting has always been known as percision shooting. When you start counting groups or score outside the score rings, than you throw out the percision part. If we are going to throw out the percision part, than by all means put up a F-class target and we will shoot on that for score and group. Just an idea.

So the problem isn't that they're going to lose by a lot, it is the psychological trauma of being "disqualified." Like you and I are "age challenged" and "vision challenged."

There are a very few people who, during the course of their relay, notice it is pretty windy. They will put another shot on, and elect to re-shoot on a later relay. But according to the rules, they will be scored with their original relay. If it is less windy on the later relay, they improve their chances to win. Almost impossible to prove, but it seem to happen to the same people a little too often.

The solution to that one is to score everyone according to the relay they shoot on.

Or make everyone take the proverbial "dieing oath".
After the relay with 12 DQ's. Jerry made an announcement about how to use a felt-tip pin in a color like red, green, etc to verify the shooters shots.
Dirty trick, color one of your own the same color as the person you want to beat, then shoot their target with that one.
Like I said, "dieing oath" ...hope to die..stick a needle in my eye!!!

Oh comon Jerry.

Look, people don't just intentionally crossfire when it gets windy. There's no need at that point anyhow. Coloring your bullets works for LOTS of people. I've been known to do it myself, but generally I do not. I guess I just didn't care that much anymore. If you can find a picture somewhere of a target I fired, the holes will be black, not blue, red, green, etc. Even when plenty was on the line to win or loose.

Lastly, if you are shooting with people whom you distrust enough you think they would stoop to the level of shooting intentionally on your target with a bullet they colored and then consciously chose screw you, then it's time to go take up knitting. People do get flustered when it gets blowing and they're shooting a 600 yard format. I've seen it plenty. Things happen fast, and well, ___ happens. I'd bet my lunches for this week that none of those 50% DQ's at that event referenced above, were malicious.

Penalty of a bullet off target in IBS 1K

I'm OK with adding a penalty for a shot off target in IBS 1K matches. A larger target might work but let’s be realistic they are hard to manage right now.

About the penalty, a 1 minute penalty or even a 2 minute penalty isn't enough. It needs to be the width or better yet the diagonal of the target, the largest possible group.

I don’t want a shooter who struggles thru tough conditions and kept all his bullets on paper loosing to someone who lost or placed a bullet off paper. Someone shoots a decent 9 shot group, but has one round left could easily send one into the berm. With only a 1 or 2 minute penalty that would result in a 15 or 25” group respectively, beating out the guy who put 10 on paper but had a 30” group.

This will affect much more that just the weekend and National agg’s. The person who keeps all their rounds on paper should beat the person who did not keep all their rounds on paper.

Oh comon Jerry.

Look, people don't just intentionally crossfire when it gets windy.

Lastly, if you are shooting with people whom you distrust enough you think they would stoop to the level of shooting intentionally on your target with a bullet they colored and then consciously chose screw you, then it's time to go take up knitting. .
Mesh, I'm just playing devils advocate on what could happen. In truth I've never shot with anyone who I would even suspect to be cheating. We are all having too much fun and trying to beat ourselves to cheat. (Now if I could just get that magic powder and bullet....)

My serious concern in starting this thread, and even it may not be an issue, is that when something happens that about half DQ in a Nationals is that it might not be good for the sport. I know some of the guys who had worked so hard in the weeks prior, drove several hundred miles, then DQ.

No one of these weren't me. I did drive a few hundred miles, but I didn't put a lot of effort in preparing. For example, the gun I shot most of my targets with was a 100/200 gun that I had screwed a 4 year old barrel on and it had about 1400 rounds on it. Saving, for hard times I guess, was a 17# gun I had set up for 600 2 years ago and it has a less-than 300 rounds on it.

to Mike -

I agree with your input 100%. Good write.......

to Jerry -

Your concern's and reasoning for starting the thread have a lot of merit for which I respect. Glad to see the thread started and agree that these elements should be addressed someday to the IBS rules

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

Ok Jerry, I was thinking cause you'd brought it up more than once that it was a big concern that needed looked into. I was thinking, well... they dq plenty without help! :D

Back when I wrote the website for the PA club, this scoring situation was something I considered , though never did I propose penalties. I remembered when I was new to 1k shooting, I thought it would have been nice to have information on targets even if they were dq's. Years later, when I wrote the website, it was written originally to take data from the then current scoring room application, and that was not complete enough to do what I wanted. Later, I re-wrote BOTH of them from the ground up, and added in the ability to track every shot by scoring ring. This both made scoring easier, but also allowing different criteria for the scoring. Also, a DQ category was added allowing the ability to score and group a target, but still DQ the person. That was not possible at first and so everyone with shots off just vanished from the results.

That probably sounds like some easy thing to do, but just trust me, that was a major re-write due to the data format. The current scoring now allows for people with less than 10 matches to be shown in the 10 match agg. People with less than 6 to be shown in the 6 match agg. People with less than 10 shots (or more) to be shown in the results with both a group and a score, (though we didn't group targets with too few shots). If you think about it, this is all that people want. They want to see WHAT they did alongside others, even if it was bad. The penalty thing is a bandaid fix for a problem that is probably being used because, scoring any other way does not fit the current system. If you think about that a bit, it's really true, even if they are not handcuffed by a computer program.

I see that GRRC emulated the scoring ring stats for this years IBS Nationals and I applaud them for that. Personally, I think it shows quite a bit about the real conditions, and also about who beat the conditions. On the PA site, it almost looks like a graph if you view it that way. Much more 'could' be done to make things nicer for the shooters, but even within the same organizations, there is so much difference in shooting format and scoring, it is impossible for anyone to do that work. And then at every rules change, much of it gets thrown away, creating huge amounts of wasted time with the swipe of a pen.

In my years scoring targets, I never found it so much fun that I would have wanted to do group size on a target that had shots off. I look at that as a huge waste of time. If the shooter wants to measure it, wonderful, use a ruler. I guess .001's don't matter if one shot isn't here anyhow. My thought were this. We count 10, so, go stick 10 shots on the paper and we'll score em.

Jerry,
By any chance, do you know how many of these people were new to 600yd? How many dq's were due to confusion on the 600 yard format? I'm betting it was a lot. Oh, and, crossfires are clearly the fault of one shooter, include those too.

I don’t want a shooter who struggles thru tough conditions and kept all his bullets on paper loosing to someone who lost or placed a bullet off paper. Someone shoots a decent 9 shot group, but has one round left could easily send one into the berm. With only a 1 or 2 minute penalty that would result in a 15 or 25” group respectively, beating out the guy who put 10 on paper but had a 30” group.

So the guy who got one off places 51st, and the guy with the 30-inch group places 53rd? Who'll remember in a couple of days.

As far as that goes, there are a lot of ways one could measure groups. The old string measurement perhaps gives a better indication of shooting. By convention, we use a different measurement system, but it would be a stretch to say it's "better." Just "easier." The guy with a 6" group might have been way ahead.

But you do have a case. Not so much for the Nationals, where if you lose a shot, either to wind or blown bullet or whatever, A "large number" of people will beat you. But what about a regular match? We've all been on relays where, out of 10 people, 2-3-4 were the only ones on paper. In those kind of relays, a 20-inch group can win. And I'd be curious to see what the lowest "winning" score was. Maybe single digit?

OK, the IBS 1K target is 42 inches wide, that's 56.396969 on the diagonal. Half of that is about 29.698. How about a zero score and a 30-inch penalty?

You figure it out for 600, I haven't shot it since the target changed.

If somebody wants to start a petition for an IBS agenda item, I'll sign it.

Now, if we can only get Phil to give up his lunches for a week (all that beer), and figure out a way to automate string scoring.

Jerry,
By any chance, do you know how many of these people were new to 600yd? How many dq's were due to confusion on the 600 yard format? I'm betting it was a lot. Oh, and, crossfires are clearly the fault of one shooter, include those too.

4mesh, all I have to go by is the match report Jerry Kloeppel mailed and almost half DQ'ed for the 2-gun but I have no way of knowing the reasons. There were several of he seasoned 600 yard shooters that were on that exalted list.

Ah yes, it's great to be connected to the network again. I sorta got my drill too close to the ethernet in the wall and the drill won.

Actually Charles, I did have an idea for automation of target data. You'd probably laugh if I described it, but, I had lots of ideas... Not as much time, but lots of ideas. My idea would also have been able to give the PA shooters a 5shot agg in LG (or hg if anyone wanted). The basics of the system were built, and the graphics portion of it was pretty much complete. Lack of always connected internet at the shooting club really made it difficult. Some very cool stuff could have been done if any inet was available there. As I understand it, there still is nothing up there. Sad really, a couple trillion spent on infrastructure, 15 years of additional fees on phone bills for internet, and we still can't connect in the 6th most populous state of the union. Go fig'r.

The idea was, a USB device used to plot the shots on a table with X/Y encoders (using a drafting table). Scan a bar code on the plot sheet to identify the target with a serial #, and the data would go up to the web with our regular match data. (or already be there before hand if direct connected). Once the data was in MySql, the sky's the limit. Php's graphics lib handles all the image generation so no pictures needed. The end result looked something like this. As you can imagine, coordinate data for all shots was there, so shot to shot statistics was easily available. If you look at the name of this image, you'll see it's generated in php, not actually a graphic image.

target.php

Back