Left the range

varminthunter1

Club Coordinator
Al Matson better known on the forum as Al in Wa, passed away last week from pancreatic cancer. Al sometimes had opinions that benchrest shooters disagreed with, but he always had data and experience to back it up. He was a great gunsmith and shooter, as well as a long range competitor most recently at Tri-county in the Portland, Oregon area.
Al was a good friend, husband and father and will be missed.
We are diminished.
Jeff

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230922-160533_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230922-160533_Facebook.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 143
Very sorry to hear this. I didn't know he had been sick. He did lots of testing and had his ways. I always enjoyed his posts. Sometimes we agreed and sometimes we didn't but never had a cross word and got a kick out of his personality. Will miss his posts on here. RIP Alinwa

Al Matson better known on the forum as Al in Wa, passed away last week from pancreatic cancer. Al sometimes had opinions that benchrest shooters disagreed with, but he always had data and experience to back it up. He was a great gunsmith and shooter, as well as a long range competitor most recently at Tri-county in the Portland, Oregon area.
We are diminished.
Jeff
Sorry to hear this, I always liked his way of splain’n things.

A quick 'alinwa' story. He had posted something here on fireforming cases and blowing the shoulder forward. I added how I did mine...which he disagreed with. He went on to tell me why it couldn't possibly work. I explained my method in a phone conversation and suggested he try it. A few days later, he called and said it worked better than anything he'd tried.

"Holy crap...you were right. It does work great!" We both got a good laugh out of that. :)

A few days later, he called and said it worked better than anything he'd tried.

"Holy crap...you were right. It does work great!" We both got a good laugh out of that. :)
Al was a wordsmith.
He said conflict is good and often necessary. If you think about that, not just in reference to benchrest, but in life, it is pretty profound. I think that conflict is what inspired Al. Good to know he grew from it.

I'm deeply saddened to learn about this. I had no knowledge of his illness. He was known for his extensive testing and unique approaches. I always found his contributions engaging. While we didn't always see eye to eye, we never had any disagreements and enjoyed his distinct personality. His posts here will be missed. Rest in peace, Alinwa.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are diminished nba bite.
Jeff

Back