Lederer Barrels

What type bullet do these Lederer barrels prefer . Boat tail or flat base.

If a 30 cal shooting VFS, it will love any of the fine 112 to 118 grn bullets available. I like BIB and Bart's.

If a 6mm in PPC, like most cut Rifled Barrels, it will like Boat Tails. That being said, last year, (on a whim), I ordered some of Bart's flat base bullets made on the late Ed Watson's dies, which Bart aquired.

The things Shot really well. That will be the bullet I will shoot this season.

Update

Barrel inventory is starting to look better again, along with much shorter delivery times for non-stock items. At this time, I'm still hesitant to list barrels in the classified section, but may have the inventory to do so pretty soon. If anyone has any updates on how their barrels are performing, that is the main thing people are wanting to hear. Remember you can PM me on here or contact me at michael@crankbalancer.com if you have any questions.

Michael

Last edited:
Barrel inventory is starting to look better again, along with much shorter delivery times for non-stock items. At this time, I'm still hesitant to list barrels in the classified section, but may have the inventory to do so pretty soon. If anyone has any updates on how their barrels are performing, that is the main thing people are wanting to hear. Remember you can PM me on here or contact me at michael@crankbalancer.com if you have any questions.

Michael

Still waiting Michael.

Butch and Jim

Butch,
I have just received your barrel. Jim, I'm not aware of you having any barrels ordered through me. If you do, maybe I just don't recognize you by your user name. Butch sent me a check on 1-12-18, and 2 months later I have his barrel. Now lead times are getting closer to 4 weeks for non-stocked barrels.

Michael

I have to admit I was unprepared for the avalanche of orders I received over the winter. I'm doing my best to keep track of everything, but that certainly seems to be one of my weak points. I apologize to anyone who has had to wait longer than my estimated lead time when the order was placed.

For anyone who has been waiting longer than you think is reasonable, please contact me and I'll get things straightened out.

I finally got the chance to chamber up a LV and HV Lederer barrels for my 30-30 BR rifles. I was amazed by the barrel finish and by the concentricity of the lands and grooves. After a short break in period the LV turned in a nice group in the .150" range. I was using a known good shooting load of Scot 4197 and my own 9 ogive 118gr bullets on Bart's 1" jackets. I put the LV away, and grabbed the HV.

For the HV, I started out shooting LT32. I had almost no experience with this powder other than chronograph data. That is were it shines, being able to shoot the 3000 fps node with around 38gr, and go all the way up to 3300 fps at about 41gr. As far as how it shoots, I wasn't having any luck. Consistent .3" of vertical was all I saw for 4 groups, while changing the powder charge in .3gr increments looking for a tune. Velocities went from 3100 fps to just below 3000 fps, and I never saw any promise from any of it.

I decided to make several changes. I have always had fairly low neck tension, but ran a hard jam. I decided to try a .01" jam, and increase the neck tension to .003". Along with this I wanted to try H322 extreme at 39gr with the same 118gr bullet. Velocity was right at 3100 fps. The group was in the .120" range. I then backed the load down by .7gr to try to find the 3030 fps to 3050 fps range. I wound up between 3030 fps and 3035 fps. The first three shots looked like one bullet with the last two shots to the right killing the group by half a bullet, and giving me about a flat .200" group. Next I tried 41gr of H322 behind my 110gr. bullet with Bart's .925" jacket. Again, the first three shots a zero, but then ended up in the .150" range.

So far these new Lederer barrels are looking to show more promise than any other barrels I've shot.

Michael

Butch,

I will have your barrel to ship when i return from the Lubbock match.

For anyone else interested, I will have 7 Lederer barrels available at the Lubbock match. They will all we 6mm X 13.5 TW LV. As always, first come first serve. If anyone wants one, but is not going to be there, please make arrangements with me or someone else who will be there.

Michael

Butch,

I will have your barrel to ship when i return from the Lubbock match.

For anyone else interested, I will have 7 Lederer barrels available at the Lubbock match. They will all we 6mm X 13.5 TW LV. As always, first come first serve. If anyone wants one, but is not going to be there, please make arrangements with me or someone else who will be there.

Michael

Thanks Michael.

Back