Lathe

I have the Emco v13, the big brother to the super 11,and it is an excellent lathe for barrel work. If had found one, I would take the super 11 for ease of maneuvering when it comes time to move across the country.
If I didn't find the v13, a PM1340GT or 1440GT would be next on the list from precision mathews. I also have a 9" south bend from 1947 that did very good work as well, but has its limitations on barrel length.
Mike

I'm a hobbyist and have a PM 1340GT with VFD, DRO and proximity stop. It's plenty large enough to do any gunsmith work.

I'm also a hobbyist and I bought a 16 x 40 that is sold in Europe as the KnuthV turn 410. When I bought it I fitted a Newall DRO with CSS.
I've found it to be an excellent lathe, although a bit long through the headstock for short barrels, but this can be worked around.
One of the features I wanted was the vfd, with the ability to changed speed with the turn of a knob and the vfd also has other benefits.

Last edited:
I'm a hobbyist and have a PM 1340GT with VFD, DRO and proximity stop. It's plenty large enough to do any gunsmith work.

I have been using a Precision Mathews 1340GT for a couple years now and really like the lathe. The VFD and proximity switch would be nice additions to my lathe but I have gotten by without them so far. Something I may add later.

The whole group and Precision Mathews is great to deal with and since buying the 1340GT we have also added one of their knee mills to our shop as well with the same high quality. Definitely not looking back on either purchase.

Tad

They are good folks and the hobby-machinist forum has, basically, a support group.

I, too, added one of their mills two years ago. I went with the 833TV which is the largest benchtop mill. I added the DRO and power feeds and love it.

Any truth to 3 phase lathes doing a better job than single phase? No 3 phase available here but could do some sort of phase convertor if there is a large enough benefit of the the 3phase over single phase

Smoother cuts.

And the closer you can get the power to true 3-phase the better.
The motor converters do not produces 3-phase at 120 degrees each.

Many end up being 180 degrees and a 90 degree 'created' leg between them.

The new variable speed units DO produce a true 3-phase, while allowing
you to further adjust motor speed if you want.

Make sure the 3-phase motor is rated for VFD use.
Some motors do not behave all that well when you try and vary the speed.

Odd currents are set up in the windings (mostly harmonics).

Back