Lathe cleaning..........

Good morning all:

I had a dumb question to ask - how do you clean up your lathe and other equipment? I have tried light machine oil (like Remclean), but the years of brown cutting fluids and gunk are really hard to get off.

I have seen some pictures of some high volume shops with immaculate lathes - hoping these are some easy clean-up methods out there!!

Thanks, hope all of you are well,

kev

I don't know if there are any easy ways to clean an older machine - I have three that I have had down to bare bones, and it just takes time and a good degreaser. Wax and grease remover works well for most of it, and then there are products like ZEP or simple green that can work as well. WD-40, in a pinch, will take off a decent amount of grime.
So many choices...so much time.
Brass or nylon brushes help with the heavier stuff, but when grease and oil has had a chance to set/varnish it is never quick.
Naval jelly will also work and will take the paint off right with all those stains!

Kev,

I've cleaned a few machines and have yet to find anything better than maroon Scotch Brite pads dipped in a solvent such as parts washer solvent.

The Tub o' Towels suggestion by Louis is solid as well. They work well on painted surfaces.

Justin

Good morning all:

I had a dumb question to ask - how do you clean up your lathe and other equipment? I have tried light machine oil (like Remclean), but the years of brown cutting fluids and gunk are really hard to get off.

I have seen some pictures of some high volume shops with immaculate lathes - hoping these are some easy clean-up methods out there!!

Thanks, hope all of you are well,

kev

When you get through cleaning yours, feel free to come by my Shop and wipe some of mine down:D

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24444&stc=1&d=1615162796

Attachments

• D823AA66-B16F-4BC9-864B-B4F43A0B04A5.jpeg
    D823AA66-B16F-4BC9-864B-B4F43A0B04A5.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 513
kev,

i've cleaned a few machines and have yet to find anything better than maroon scotch brite pads dipped in a solvent such as parts washer solvent.

The tub o' towels suggestion by louis is solid as well. They work well on painted surfaces.

Justin
ihave used scotch brite for cleaning my case necks for over 40 yrs.

Thanks all - great suggestions!

I am always looking for a way to hit the "easy button"...…..nothing replaces good old elbow grease though does it!

Thanks again,

kev

The Easy way

Thanks all - great suggestions!

I am always looking for a way to hit the "easy button"...…..nothing replaces good old elbow grease though does it!

Thanks again,

kev

is to find one of George Bush's "Guest Workers" to do it for you :)

Pete

Back