Lapua brass....

E

eww1350

Over on another forum...Lapua brass is being discussed...one issue that was brought up...why not make 6ppc and 30BR brass..?
this is a quote from Kevin Thomas...
"Well, it's no secret that the 6mm PPC has already been discussed many times, as has 30BR. So far, the consensus we get from the vast majority of benchrest shooters is that they'd rather do it themselves. Especially given the proliferation of different chambers out there, each cut to some shooters idea of what might give him an edge over the competition. They're all going to be reworking the brass to some (significant) degree anyway, and this is undoubtedly the one competitive game wherein the shooters want more control over their components than any other. What BR shooters would generally cull, frequently goes right into the ammo box for most other competitive disciplines, and doesn't make the slightest bit of difference in those applications."

I am surprised that "the vast majority" of benchrest shooters would rather go to all the touble of necking up and fireforming brass versus just neck turning and shooting it...I realize there are minor differences in the 6ppc chambers as well as the 30BR but not so much that a pass thru a FL die wouldn't correct...

I sure as heck would love to have 30BR brass with some.013" neck walls,..... and the Silver State Armory 6ppc brass and Norma 6ppc brass both would have been big sellers if they could take the "upper window" loads...

What say you about ready made Lapua 30BR and 6ppc brass..?????

Eddie in Texas

Eddie, I agree, the time has come. That statement from Mr. Thomas is dated. I would love to start out with a already 6PPC or 30BR case.

I still think it is a matter of liability. Benchrest Shooters stretch the envelope in the pressure department. If someone blows up a 6PPC made from a 220 Russian Lapua Case, Lapua can simply say, "we don't make 6PPC Brass". Besides, Lapua probably sells every 220 Russian case they make, so why bother with a new chamberring.

It's the same with the 30BR. I wonder what percentage of 6BR cases that are sold by Lapua every year are destined to become a 30BR.

There is the Norma option, I have a hundred cases, but they are too small for my .269 neck. I did load up some at the first of the summer, and just shot them with the .003+ clearance. I tuned to the same velocity as the Lapua, and had no trouble.

I really should have ordered a reamer to accomadate the Norma, but just never did. Now, since it takes months to get anything from anybody, I have sort of lost interest.

I sectioned some Norma cases and they have a rather unique design where the flash hole enters the inside of the case. It is a reverse cone, quite pronounced, and the web is a tad thicker.........jackie

Eddie....your rite..it is wayy past time for Lapua to step up and take care of the Becnrest shooters who have made their brass a big seller in the US.....if the brass was allready 6mm PPC there would be no need for a special fire form bbl and the time and expense of doing that phase of the loading.....we could still turn the nks to our desired thichness or leave em alone....I shoot the 6mm BR rite outa the box (I do champher the case mouths) and set a world record with em that way last yr.....the old excuse of guys are gona whittle on em just doesnt make sense.....Im very glad they started making 22-250 brass and .260....now many long range shooters are hoping for 300 H&H or 300 WSM.....the hunting and sporting shooters would gobble those up also....Roger

Can you post some pictures of those sectioned Norma 6 P.P.C. cases Jackie?

The actual composition of the brass will make a big difference in how that they perform .

It snowed here in Calgary last night.

Thank you.
Glenn:D

Last edited by a moderator:
In reality, I expect the total amount of brass that Competition BR shooters buy is small compaired to the general shooting public and other organized shooting groups.

cartridge brass is a generic specific alloy...70/30. having said that i'm sure all makers do not work to that specic alloy, but something close. military brass from countries without natural resources of copper and tin often vary a bunch, just pure economics.
with the alloy set at 70/30 and most close to that i see no "big difference in how they perform" based on a section of brass...did i miss somehting in your comment ??
most generic statements of norma being soft is actually a case of shooting norma brass in a lapua based chamber. same pressure, but larger chamber, so yes the brass grows. put norma brass in a chamber based on the norma brass and it works. several shooters have posted good results from norma brass.

mike in co
Can you post some pictures of those sectioned Norma 6 P.P.C. cases Jackie?

The actual composition of the brass will make a big difference in how that they perform .

It snowed here in Calgary last night.

Thank you.
Glenn:D

well i have been wrong before, but i specifically remember reading an article on comparison of the two and how the issue went away with the proper sized chamber....
but i will accept the word of someone that has been there , done that...
it was not a guess but what i read...
no problem
mike in co
Absolutely wrong on all counts.......

you need to try this stuff before guessing mike.

Lapua brass IS harder.

Norma brass IS one of the softest and doesn't season well.

(From one who has a minimum of 5 different chamber configurations in 22BR/6BR .243, .308 and 7 different PPC chambers.)

al

Back in the day, (mid 90's), when Norma made the older 6PPC brass, you could only get about three firings out of a case as opposed to multitudes from Lapua 220 Russian converted to 6PPC. Anecdotal, but it did cause us to avoid the Norma.

The new Norma is not the same stuff. When I tested it, I hammered it just like the Lapua, and it stood the test. But as I said, the cases are really too thin in the neck to use with my .269 reamer, so at this time I can't use it..........jackie

Last edited:
IMO, if Lapua, Norma, or whoever did make some really good quality brass and its performance equaled what we get now with the Lapua 220 Russian, then it would sell. The last attempts to make "factory" PPC brass went the way of the tube-type radio.

Some good info about brass here guys,...but lets get back on track...the question was would you prefer to make your own 6ppc brass or 30BR brass from a parent case or have Lapua make it in a "ready to go" form needing only neck turning or whatever you prefer.. what say you..?

Edie in Texas

Eddie, I'd like to see Lapua offer a 1.560 long 30BR case and a 30BR case with a .850 long neck. This 30BR-LN (long neck) would be a good one for us experimenter types and open all sorts of doors.

A .014 thick neck 6PPC would be great, as well.

Good shootin'. -Al

I believe things are pretty good as is....... Not that difficult to "make" PPC and 30BR brass for ones purposes...

I'd prefer the status quo...
cale

What say you about ready made Lapua 30BR and 6ppc brass..?????

I say it is not likely to happen, nothing to gain for Lapua and a lot to lose from a liability standpoint. I say nothing to gain because I do not see it as likely that easier brass would do much to boost the total number of 6-PPC's and 30BR's being shot. 30BR especially since BR brass is already available they would need 22BR and 7MMBr as well if they started down that road.

Dick

I asked this question only with a raggedly pointed perspective last year or earlier this year.
One of those in the know,,,, if I remember it was one of the Kelbly's chimed in and noted that the reason (at least up to the recent past) that Lapua never has offered the brass in ppc was that the original ferris and pendel (sp?) had a patent or some sort of thing that entitled them to a royalty.
I dont know if this would still be the case as I think both have now passed.

Back