Lapua 308 Winchester Brass

• Thread starter herschelmerrill
  • Start date
H

herschelmerrill

I was starting to reload for a 308 Winchester. When I went to Midway USA for some brass they had Lapua 308 Winchester and Lapua 308 Winchester Palma Small Primer Pocket.
What would be the benefit of using a small primer?

Herschel ...

I was starting to reload for a 308 Winchester. When I went to Midway USA for some brass they had Lapua 308 Winchester and Lapua 308 Winchester Palma Small Primer Pocket.

Go purchase a copy of the April issue of Precision Shooting magazine. Here's the link: http://www.precisionshooting.com/. There is a good article that discusses this new brass starting on page 46.

Also, see German Salazar's article: http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2010/01/cartridges-lapua-small-primer-308.html for his review of it. :)

Small Primers 308 Winchester

Small primers hold pressure better than large primers. Small primers may give a slower ignition which benefits those shooting long barrels, (Palma and FTR shooters. The extreme spread may be less with small primers. The down side may be poor ignition is cold weather and hang fires.

If one goes back a few years and reads old post on Longrange dot com under the Palma forums you will find quite a bit if the trials and tribulations concerning the small prime 308s.

Nat Lambeth

They HAD Palma brass? I just checked.... they don't have it now.

al

Lapua came out with the small primer pocket brass after Dr. Tom Whitaker along with the US Palma and Development team requested it. The only reason for producing the brass was the consistency of the small rifle primers versus the large rifle primers in tests done by Tom Whitaker. Otherwise there is no accuracy advantage or anything else. Dr. Whitaker explains his findings and the reason for the brass in a post on the long range shooting forum.

Alinwa

Kevin Thomas posted on the 6BR forum that the 308 Palma brass and the 22-250 brass are on the same boat and should be IN stock this month (mid-late)at the wholesalers.

308 Small Primer brass

If one takes the small primer 308 brass and uses a form die it makes really great 6mm BRX and Dasher brass. The web are of the case is much thicker than 6mmBR brass. It will last much longer and handle presure better.

Nat Lambeth

I really thought about trying this brass in my .308's but after hearing of possible ignition problems in cold weather and mainly due to the fact that I'd now have two different kinds of .308 brass to keep seperated for two different .308's I decided the K.I.S.S. principal would be the better way to go for me so I'm sticking with Lapua large primer .308 brass. In my GA Precision Hospitaller I'm getting 10 fps extreme spread with large prime pocket Lapua and CCI 250's so I think any small gains of the small primer pocket brass would be neglible for me.

Danny

I think possibly the best possible use for this Brass could be for forming rounds that are shorter than the .308, but longer than the 6.5 x 47. For something like 600 Yard BR or 600 yard f class, etc. I think average Joe citizen shootin g .308 with a hunting rig would see no gains from the small pocket... I also believe that no considerable gains could be seen even in Palma where open sights are used, and MOA targets are used.

If the stuff is that good, leave it for the guys that can really take advantage of the gains. I can just see, this summer there will be no Palma Brass because ESPN has a show on it and every deer hunter with a Winchester model 100 or Remington 742 in .308 needs to try this great Brass.

Attachments

• 6mm's mid sized.jpg
    6mm's mid sized.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 41,706
I think possibly the best possible use for this Brass could be for forming rounds that are shorter than the .308, but longer than the 6.5 x 47. For something like 600 Yard BR or 600 yard f class, etc. I think average Joe citizen shootin g .308 with a hunting rig would see no gains from the small pocket... I also believe that no considerable gains could be seen even in Palma where open sights are used, and MOA targets are used.

If the stuff is that good, leave it for the guys that can really take advantage of the gains. I can just see, this summer there will be no Palma Brass because ESPN has a show on it and every deer hunter with a Winchester model 100 or Remington 742 in .308 needs to try this great Brass.

I'll chime in with another use Paul.... THIS BRASS will allow a reloader, even a hunter, to essentially match the ballistics of a 30-06 using a short bolt action and 168gr. Is this advantageous? Dunno, but hey.... the 30-06 is a popular round. I can see the Barnes 168TTSX in a .308Win as a deerwakkin' mo'chine.

Does anyone want to use it in full length form for competition? I can think of some HBR shooters out here in the Poulsbo area who might just find another couple nodes with this brass :D

But I'm in full agreement with you, I want to fondle, fold, spindle&mutilate the stuff mightily not blow it out nor even use it whole.

al

If one takes the small primer 308 brass and uses a form die it makes really great 6mm BRX and Dasher brass. The web are of the case is much thicker than 6mmBR brass. It will last much longer and handle presure better.

Nat Lambeth

That is not necessary with Lapua 6BR brass being so good.

I want to fondle, fold, spindle&mutilate the stuff mightily not blow it out nor even use it whole.

al

Boys just want to have fun!

Back