Lapua 220 brass

classcat

About a year ago or so, I purchase some Blue Box Lapua brass. The primer pockets are loosening up awful quick. Not shooting any hot loads. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

They shouldn't loosen that fast, even with hot loads. How many firings are you talking? And what's the difference between your chamber and sized brass at the base and 0.200" mark?

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

It happens after only three or four firings. Standard loads, original T-Powder, Or other 8208 lots that I am very familiar with. Federal 205 M primers. The chamber itself is dead on, my 35 free bore Reamer, and pushing the shoulder back 1/10,000 using a Redding SBR die, If those numbers were out you would know it right away with that die. All the other case dimensions look good. Another thing that's weird is after I turned the necks I trim for length, and the brass does not grow.

Last edited:
Thats why lee wanted to know the size of your brass. It seems as tho you have a big chamber and the saami spec redding die is not pulling it down. You should send some cases to whidden and get some dies made to see if itll work. You may be due a new chamber- you cant roll like that.

Check your cases.....if they are concave or convex at the base...they will cause problems.

concave - will cause primer pockets to loosen rapidly.

convex - will cause them to tighten rapidly.

I have ran across many more that were convex vs. concave but have had batches of both....very aggravating. Just lay a straight edge against the base and take a look. Concave will dip in....Convex will hump out in the middle.

Hovis

My Gunsmith is Gary Ocock. He has been using MY 35 REAMER for 6 years, and never a problem.

Last edited:
Well, You can make an oversize chamber with a reamer that has done a tighter chamber. Not throwing sticks at Gary or anybody else. Can you do a chamber cast?

Butch;
No need to, I shot the blue box brass in a barrel that was about four years old, and it chambered and shot without a problem. I firmly believe that Lapua is altering their brass elasticity for short longevity. After all, they are in the business of selling Brass.
On a side note, I purchased a Redding SB die about two years ago. I am getting as many as 50 firings on gold box brass Without primers loosening. The only alteration I did have to make was going to a smaller neck bushing, Eventually the bullet was just falling into the case.

Butch;
No need to, I shot the blue box brass in a barrel that was about four years old, and it chambered and shot without a problem. I firmly believe that Lapua is altering their brass elasticity for short longevity. After all, they are in the business of selling Brass.
On a side note, I purchased a Redding SB die about two years ago. I am getting as many as 50 firings on gold box brass Without primers loosening. The only alteration I did have to make was going to a smaller neck bushing, Eventually the bullet was just falling into the case.

It appears that you have the answers. No need to go further with this.

Back