laminate stock blank's where to get

L

luke wads

hi can any please help iam in england and lookinf for laminated stock blank
tried richards microfit but cant get reply is ther any one elsa how sell benchrest sized blanks

thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE

(A pox on Richard's Might-not-fit, he's a wanker!)[/QUOTE]

If you manage to get Richards microfit on the phone, your a better man than I am and if you manage to get a reply from an email, please let us know about it as you'll probably be the first ever. A bigger pack of wasters you'll never meet. They'll probably be like all other could have beens, they'll probably get there acts together when its too late. Stay well away from them, they dont know the meaning of the words customer service or quality.

I think www.boydsgunstocks.com sell blanks. They are a major player in the sporting stock business.

I just looked at their website, they have laminated rifle blanks for $40. Very nice color selection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stock Laminates

Yep, it is pretty easy to find all the stock maker / suppliers who deal in laminated blanks. I just searched backwards til I found Rutland plywood and from the looks of their products it appears like they could be supplying blanks to most of the stock laminate stock folks. They will also sell large blanks to individuals if you want them. Then Deadwood said if one was desirous of a dense void free blank, best look elsewhere. I would simply like to know where.

BTW, I have had pretty good luck making my own from cabinetmakers plywood. There is a good dense 1/2" birch plywood that is seven plies thick. Just epoxy up as many layers as you need to create the blank you need. They are not very pretty and they are not light but they sure are stable and functional.

Not sure about all the negative feedback on Richards Microfit. I bought a Culbertson prone stock from them a couple of years ago, and though it did take a couple of months to get it, it's pretty much as-advertised. More recently - late last summer - I ordered a couple of sporter stocks from them, and got 'em within three weeks. Sure enough, there's still work to be done on them - but that's how they're advertised.

And as far as Rutland laminated blanks are concerned - it's my understanding that's where the vast majority of stockmakers get their blanks.

The only laminated stock I've ever had real problems with was a thumbhole silhouette model for a 10-22 that was really hard to work with - I kept tearing out chunks of laminate while sanding with anything coarser than 120grit paper. On that subject, I've also found Shehane's obeche laminates are very delicate when it comes to inletting for ejection ports, bolt stop levers, etc. You've got to be extremely careful in order to avoid turning up splits & splinters when working around the edge of the action inlet with any sort of rotary tool.

Sanding a laminate of any kind is always tough because the wood is softer than the glue lines. Makes it tough to get it perfectly flat.

I haven't worked on an Obeche stock but have worked on other woods that tear / splinter / crack easily. One solution is to coat the area with CA (instant glue) and then cut / sand on it. The instant glue fills the pores and holds the wood together better while working it. CA is a wood workers best friend. Just don't use lots of the glue without good venilation.

thanks guys

hi thanks every one
i have oders one form boyds
they every help full

rutland also hepl ful but i would have had to order to much

wish we could get the stuff in england with out have to import it

Id love to be able to deal with Richards Microfit, there stuff is very nice, very competitive but for a custom builder like myself, there just not reliable and certainly not an option for me. I'd need to see a lot more positive press about them before Id ever consider using them. Pity really.

richarhs microfit

i wish i could get them on the phone! as they are the only one who will sell 3'' wide blanks

I have had no problem getting hold of Richards on the phone as long as I call after 1:00 pm p.s.t. I have called them several times in the past couple months and I have had no problems with them.

James

Laminated Stocks

1. Carl Bernowski make beautiful laminated stocks.

2. Joel Russo Makes beautiful laminated stocks.

3. Bill Shehane make beautiful laminated stocks.

Nat Lambeth

Back