Kroil in the bore

kujones

Kjones
I've just finished soaking the bore of my .270 with Hoppe's via chamber plug. WOuld there be any purpose or advantage to do the same with Kroil?

Are you trying to clean out copper fouling? Carbon fouling? Remove moly? Or something else? The nature of the fouling defines the solvent or process used to clean the bore. For example, Kroil isn't apt to help much with copper fouling. There are better products designed just for copper.

Walt Berger told a good friend of mine that a little Kroil in the bore of a new barrel, will help with the brake in process, and copper fouling. I find this to be true myself. I wouldnt advocate a completely saturaded bore of Kroil, but a nice thin film of Kroil sure doesnt hurt.
I also find that Kroil is decent on carbon, or powder fouling as a cleaner. I dont however leave Kroil in the bore for long periods of time. Kroil can and will gum up. Just my experience. Lee

I'm using Hoppe's Copper Solvent to clean the bore. My question about Kroil is not about cleaning but more toward general bore conditioning. Would soaking the bore with a penetrating oil have any benefit?

After I am done shooting, and cleaned the bore, I will run a patch of Liquid Wrench penetrating oil and leave it.
I give it a good cleaning before shooting it again.

My only theory for this is that it may loosen up some carbon that I've missed and leaving a film of oil in a bore isn't going to hurt anything.

Next time your at the range or a shoot look at the outside of an old Kroil can, if there is someone around who has some. You will see what imean by gum, guming up. Kroil is a good product, but it isnt a nessisary product for rifle shooting. with that said i still always have a can close. Lee

To echo Lees comment I was told by Bruce Thom at BAT that if you want something to work don't use kroil on it. I learned a hard lesson about it when I was using it to keep the firing mechanism of my bat bolt lubricated. The kroil turned to a varnish and had to be machined out of the inside of the bolt.. I realize that this thread was regarding the bore but it definitely applies to anywhere on a gun in my opinion. Use as a penetrating oil for stuck bolts.

plugging bores and soaking them is not always the most effective way to clean with regular cleaning solvents-most of them require some oxygen to work! Kind of like testing 416 SS in a bowl of 28 per cent ammonia versus coating the piece and letting it sit in open air.

kroil

many years ago, Walt Berger advised me to clean with Kroil when using moly bullets, when running a patch soaked with Kroil through the bore it came out the same as it went in, no change???
After a a recent rebarreling the gunsmith, a good one, advised me to shot molyed bullets through the new 30 BR barrel and clean with a mix of Kroil/Hoppes......with a non metallic brush, appears to clean very well and shoots great.........forever learning........

Barry

When I got my first BR rifle, Shooters Choice mixed with Kroil (50/50 if I remember correctly) was a pretty common sight on the loading benches at matches back a dozen or so years ago. I believe it lost favor to Butches followed by a very light coat of oil (NOT any w/ teflon), because SC/ Kroil mix seemed to require more foulers to settle the barrel back in.

Something I learned

What works best for soaking Barrels for Copper & Carbon ?
Thanks Max

Although most shooters wouldn't try this because of the reagents involved I periodically patch out the bore with CTC which is a powerful carbon solvent. It will even remove carbon from the matrix of the barrel steel. Unlike bore solvents which don't actually dissolve carbon. Straight nitro benzene at 90% will dissolve copper and most other soft metals very quickly. I give the barrels this treatment once every couple of hundred shots. Believe me it really cleans them.
Andy.

I've never used Kroil for a lubricant, it is a penetrating oil and a good one. I know of no product that cleans barrels better than Kroil and J-B's. To each their own.

Although most shooters wouldn't try this because of the reagents involved I periodically patch out the bore with CTC which is a powerful carbon solvent. It will even remove carbon from the matrix of the barrel steel. Unlike bore solvents which don't actually dissolve carbon. Straight nitro benzene at 90% will dissolve copper and most other soft metals very quickly. I give the barrels this treatment once every couple of hundred shots. Believe me it really cleans them.
Andy.

I sure hope that you're doing this outside or in a very well ventilated place because if you mean carbon tetrachloride by CTC it's carcinogenic, as is nitrobenzene. It's your liver, but nasty stuff to work with. Carbon disulfide will dissolve carbon too, but I sure wouldn't use it.

Back