Just when you thought.......

M

Maddog

According to the most recent calculations, based on a DQ (not hers) in Georgia, Kim Lewellyn did not win SSOY but in fact lost by one point. :(

As per the rules, was all that done within thirty minutes of the posting of targets and the results? It's a two way street, you know.

No Francis it is not a two way street, clerical errors can and should be corrected when discovered, the 30 minute protest period is simply the cutoff time for filing a protest by a competitor.

If for instance you realize a week later you had a VFS shooter listed in your results in Hunter class it is the responsibility of any cognizant match director to correct the official results.

There are maybe two things going on here: One is the disqualification itself: disqualifying someone because of weight would be a "protest" problem, not a clerical error. If that wasn't done before the end of the protest period, I believe it can't be done later.

I imagine the only clerical disqualification would be if somebody had "misinformed" the match director about their IBS membership status.

If the disqualification came before the match was called, and somebody simply failed to note it on an internet post, that's different.

As Jim Wooten explained it to me, the mistake wasn't discovered until Monday - Jim, correct me if I'm wrong. The referees knew of the overweight rifle on Saturday, but did not inform the scorekeeper. Who has final say on whether the disqualification holds or not?

I imagine the only clerical disqualification would be if somebody had "misinformed" the match director about their IBS membership status.

If the disqualification came before the match was called, and somebody simply failed to note it on an internet post, that's different.

Charles,
It was not a clerical disqualification. it was a clerical error, a rifle which did not meet the requirements for VFS was being fired in the match and people on the firing line knew the gun was being fired in a "Non Compete" status but apparently the scorer was not informed . He did not finish high enough to get an award but he did finish in the top 15 which are involved in SSOY status or so the original results said, as it turns out that was an error. The premature announcement that Kim was the winner was based on unofficial calculations which it turned out were in error. The entire SSOY race is very close and final results are not at all official at this point.

Dick,

As I understand it -- and some of my understanding may come from NBRSA rules (I shoot both, and it is hard to keep things separate) When the match results are "posted," that is final.

For example, in an IBS 1,000 yard match back in the 1990s, I was declared winner of a relay. When I got home and measured the target, I saw it had been mis-measured. A man named Bobby Greenway should have won the relay, and that half point would have taken him to 30, and the bronze level in the long-range marksman program.

I did call, and was told it was too late, the results stood.

Well, $hit happens. Bobby got his jacket the next year. And when I got mine years later, it included that half point I shouldn't have had. (Fortunately for my peace of mind, I had more than a half point extra.)

Point is, there is both a rule and and precedents. You may be quite right that this is clerical; all anyone is saying is whatever action is taken, the rules should be adhered to. Someone wins, someone loses, it should be predictable. "Right" is harder.

As Jim Wooten explained it to me, the mistake wasn't discovered until Monday - Jim, correct me if I'm wrong. The referees knew of the overweight rifle on Saturday, but did not inform the scorekeeper. Who has final say on whether the disqualification holds or not?

The shooter in question had an overweight rifle. The referees verified that the rifle was overweight before the match started. The information did not get transmitted to the scorekeeper. As match director I blame myself for not being aware of that. We discovered the error on Monday while getting the official results ready to transmit to the appropriate people. I immediately contacted Dick, and contacted Wayne when he got home Monday night.

It was an honest error, but that does not make things better. I feel terrible about what happened, probably more than anyone other than the SSOY competitors who were affected by this. There can be no excuses, I accept responsibility, as well as sincerely apologize.

Jim

Back