Just curious:

Reticle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A reticle is a net of fine lines or fibers in the eyepiece of a sighting device, such as a telescope, a telescopic sight, a microscope, or the screen of an ...

Also Wilkipedia
2.reticule - a network of fine lines, dots, cross hairs, or wires in the focal plane of the eyepiece of an optical instrument
graticule, reticle

How does Wikipedia work? "Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit."

I consider Webster to be the source.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reticle

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reticule

In reading those definitions, I see that a reticule (small net mess purse) can be a reticle, however a reticle can not be a reticule (can only be a sighting or measuring device) Premier has it absolutely right. The IBS rule book has it right only half the time. I guess it's a good thing they use a .30, don't have to hit exactly. Maybe when reticules are puchased from the IBS, they should place them in a small net bag or purse before shipping that way you are sure to get a reticule and a reticle.

Last edited:
The IBS rule book has it right only half the time. .

Paul.
Perhaps you can direct me to the page (s) of the IBS rules where " Reticle" or "Reticule" is used incorrectly 1/2 the time. I cannot find where reticle is used at all.
Reticule is used 3 times in the current rulebook referring to measuring devices.

BTW the 2002 rulebook (which is oldest PDF I have) also says Reticule when talking about the group measuring device so if it is incorrect it goes way back.

Peter,
Was this started by our conversation yesterday ? I did notice you called it ogive .. not ojive .. Makes not a matter to me..
On the other hand, referring back to our conversation, base to OJIVE measuring / OAL. I have pre-loaded for this weekends warm up rounds. I do not have any measurable differences in any of my rounds with a dial caliper? I will not MIC 'em . Wouldnt the chrono have showed large spreads in AD/SD ?? My load is at 1.5 AD (3) rnd. or 3.7 (5) rnd.
Its a good thing we dont type Maina , ore them all wood up 'n hamma down in da caa an head down to Cannectacut

I was talking to the Leupold factory a few years ago and asked the correct way to say Leupold and they told me "loopold" I hear leopold all the time. They ain't no leo in Leupold. :rolleyes: I know, I flunk English for today!

Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

Correct Dan. Aldo Leupold was a German immigrant and somebody once told me that anytime two vowels are together in German, the second vowel is the pronounced sound. Therefore, LeUpold is like LEWpold. Also why Diesel is DEEsel, Krieger is KrEEger, Blitzkrieg is blitzkrEEg. Now then, the question is about Bartlein. Is that German? IF so, it would be BartlIne, not Bartlynn.

And what about Hornady? I've heard lots of old timers say HorndadAY but it appears to be Hornadee?

Correction

Paul.
Perhaps you can direct me to the page (s) of the IBS rules where " Reticle" or "Reticule" is used incorrectly 1/2 the time. I cannot find where reticle is used at all.
Reticule is used 3 times in the current rulebook referring to measuring devices.

BTW the 2002 rulebook (which is oldest PDF I have) also says Reticule when talking about the group measuring device so if it is incorrect it goes way back.

Dick, "Reticle", has only one definition, therefore 100% of the time that it is used you know what definition is being refered to. "Reticule" has two Definitions. Therefore, if a Reticle were sitting on a table next to a Small Bag shaped purse, and someone said "Please hand me that reticule" you could hand them either one. 50% or half of the time you might be right. However, if they said Please hand me that Reticle, and you handed them the purse you would be wrong 100% of the time. This is why, every instance that the IBS Book mentions "Reticule", they are only 1/2 correct.;)

Dick, "Reticle", has only one definition, therefore 100% of the time that it is used you know what definition is being refered to. "Reticule" has two Definitions. Therefore, if a Reticle were sitting on a table next to a Small Bag shaped purse, and someone said "Please hand me that reticule" you could hand them either one. 50% or half of the time you might be right. However, if they said Please hand me that Reticle, and you handed them the purse you would be wrong 100% of the time. This is why, every instance that the IBS Book mentions "Reticule", they are only 1/2 correct.;)

HO'lee B'SIGneyeeelllll!!!

FfFBbrrRaaAANSCSCISsssssSSSS must be proud......

Like father like son eh!

amazing likeness

al

Back