Joystick Rest

Kookie

Well I took my brand new Seb NEO rest to the range today. I wanted one rest to use for both rimfire and center fire so I got this NEO and sold my old rest. The NEO is a very nice and well made rest, but I came away a bit disappointed. The NEO's joystick verticle travel only covered three rows of bulls on the 50 yard rimfire target. I thought it was supposed to have more travel than this and I don't think it is going to work out for me, so I want to start looking for other options. Does anyone know if there are any other joystick rests that have enough verticle and horizontal travel with the joystick to cover a 50 yard rimfire target (also needs to work for center fire). Thanks.

Mike

Just wanted to provide an update. I took a closer look at the rest and hopefully found my "problem". The usual suspect of operator error was identified. In my rush to try the rest I neglected to check the tension screws for the top and they were so loose that the top was wobbling all over the place... when I moved the joystick up and down the front to back tilting and play in the top had to be 1/8 inch or more. I hope tightening this up will improve the verticle coverage since the limited verticle travel I was experiencing is not what others have with their rests.

I guess it's difficult to make things dummy proof.

Last edited:
I suspect you don't have the SEB properly set up. Center it on the center of the target and you should easily be able to cover an entire ARA or IR50 card. Many do just that with the SEB Neo. bob

the joystick can also be rotated to the side to allow for more travel vertically. If you are a right handed shooter rotate the handle clockwise and it will clear the rear leg allowing you to lower the joystick further. From that position adjust the gross movement on the pillars so your cross hairs are lined up on the bottom or just below the bottom of the target. You should be able to cover the card easily from there. Bobs advice should also cover things well.

If the resistance to turning the handle is too much you can work with the set screws on the bottom of the main part of the rest to get the tension just right. these rests are a thing of beauty and can be adjusted so that fingertip movement is possible without lash or hesitation. I like mine just a little bit.

If you do decide to move on from your seb I will gladly be the first in line to buy it from you!

Mike

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong with the set up or if something needs to be adjusted, but it would only cover three full rows on a ARA rimfire target hung vertically. Horizontal travel was fine. It seemed to me that the joystick shaft would hit the edge of the cutout opening and limit the travel.

It sure is smooth travel and a high quality rest, but I need the additional adjustment for short range.

I suspect you don't have the SEB properly set up. Center it on the center of the target and you should easily be able to cover an entire ARA or IR50 card. Many do just that with the SEB Neo. bob

Bob, will you be at the Rocky River Barn this coming weekend and possibly take a look and help me with this?

Mike: Yes, I'll be at The Barn this coming weekend. I can help you work on it, but I'm no expert....have never tried to adjust one. Maybe someone who has some experience will be there and can show you the ropes. bob

Mike: I googled "seb neo adjustments" and hit on a paper written by Mike Ratigan on how to adjust the rest. Give it a look. bob

Bob,
I wouldn't recommend anybody setting up at the middle of a target. Doesn't matter how much you pound your butt into the rear bag, the butt will settle for the first couple rounds. This will allow the rifle to be aimed high and limit the the amount of your vertical travel on the target. I recommend that you start off about 1" below the bottom target. Check it out next time.

Butch: Thanks. I'll show my ignorance here. We are talking rim fire so I'll use the PSL card as the example.

The card, when hung as most of us do, sideways has the #13 bull dead center on the card. That means if the rest is "centered" on bull 13 we need to move 6 inches right and 6 inches left to cover the card including sighter bulls and 5 inches up and 5 inches down again to include the sighter bulls.

Why is it better to line up on the lower sighter bull line as you suggest and have to go UP 10 inches than in the middle and only have to go up 5 inches and down 5 inches at 50 yards? Thanks. bob

Move the joystick lever all the way DOWN, use the coarse adjustment to set the verticle crosshairs just below the target. Now when you move the joystick up you will cover the entire target. It works for me. ?

Kookie, thank you for purchasing the NEO rest!

Butch gave you a good, solid advise. Trust me, he knows about joystick rest and how to use it properly!

I have made/shipped over than 1,200 NEO to worldwide (to 29 or 30 countries so far), the issue you're experiencing is one of the most strangest "issue" I've ever heard so far.

It is difficult for me to explain how the joystick/mechanism works, or to get a proper rest setup (in relation with the target), etc... my English is not better than 3rd grade kids I believe.... but please try Butch's advise.

"Face to face", I can explain all the things about the rest within a few minutes...but my apologies I cannot explain properly via writing.

Actually the "travel" of your NEO can be changed, say to be wider... BUT the effect would be too coarse of adjustment.
Basically you want the finest adjustment possible rather than to have too coarse adjustment. (it's something like using a scope with 1/8 moa vs 1/4 moa adj. just for instance). This is very important in precision shooting.

But "as is" (without any changes) your NEO rest would cover rimfire target @ 50 yds. --- That's IF the center shaft can touch the side wall of opening/cutout on the coaxial body...i.e. from left to right & bottom to top. And that's depend on your rest SETUP in relation with the target.

Hope this help.

Best,
seb.

Seb,

Thank you for posting. All is good now and I am enjoying the NEO rest.

I have figured out the issue that I was having, and the verticle travel now covers the full 17 inches of a rimfire target at 50 yards. The issue was that the two tension screws in the front were loose (by at least a full turn each) and this apparently was causing the top to not move up and down as is should when the joystick was moved. I did not think to check the tension screws for my initial trip to the range since the joystick seemed to move OK.

Anyway after reading the instructions? I saw were the top was actually very loose and once the tension screws were tightened everything works as it should. The verticle travel improved immensely and the joystick movement is even smoother.

I noticed a few of my fellow shooters experiencing NEO envy and you may be receiving some new orders shortly.

Thank you for making such a fine product.

Mike

Last edited:
Back