Joystick Coaxial Rests ?

D

DWM Jr

I'm considering buying a Joystick controlled coaxial front rest or just the coaxial top that can be used with my current front rest. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as these things don't come cheap and I would rather spend a little more now rather then spend a second time to get what I should have bought in the first place. Thanks, Don

Buy the Standard american made Farley. Do not get the lighter base...you want the heavier one.

Hovis

They all....

They all make fun of it...but I'm very satisfied with my Caldwell "Fire Control" joy stick rest. Cost was $179 at Midway about a year ago. I think they are about $200 now. No...they are not a Farley or a SEB...but it is a heavy rest that I find very handy in the Hunter game. I can go from the sighter target back up to the top targets very quickly. You get two bags with it, but I bought the $12 Sinclair cordoba bag which is made out of heavier and slicker material. Besides, if you decide later on that you don't care for a joy stick rest (which some do) it will be easier to sell to your occasional shooter friends.

good luck...virg

They all make fun of it...but I'm very satisfied with my Caldwell "Fire Control" joy stick rest.

good luck...virg

They are alright until the steel ballbearings start gouging the soft aluminum plate and it starts to feel like 80 grit sandpaper going from sighter to record.

glad to hear about the fire control....was curious how they kept the cost down......cheaper in this game is usually a screw job(x)

I would suggest that you find a way to set down at one, sight thru a scope and then move the toggle arm. For instance the Compact Farley works just the opposite as the Big Farley. How tight then tension is has a bearing on how they feel also. DO NOT rush out and buy something before you have had a chance to get the feel of several. Also the Compact Farley has a very small bag on it. I have one and had it machined out as large as possible and made up a new bag to go in it. Much better now. But I like the rest better than the large Farley. Butch makes a fine top also, don't forget it.

Donald

If you want just a top, the shade tree top from Butch Lambert is excellent as is the the service from Butch, he is great to deal with. Steve

I have a Farley coaxial and am very pleased with it.It is rock solid and smooth as butter since I replaced the tension screws by Butch Lamberts'.It's true he really is a very nice person to deal with.If you need only a top I would surely consider his.

Contact with Mr.Farley was also very correct.I needed some parts and a missing item in the shipment and all was dealt with.But I seem to have lost contact with him,I get no replies to my mails.And I still have a small invoice to pay and no details.Might simply post the $.I don't like to live in debt.

If you buy a Farley,remove the ring holding the joystick boot.Otherwise its gets pinched and damaged.Some remove the boot altogether.
I also bought some Edgewood bags to go with it,and they are better than the supplied one.I had to order a rear one anyhow,I have an Anschütz 2213 stock that was too wide for my protektor 13.In shehane size it recoils lovely now.They are the only one with Farley frontbags and rearbags with enough space between the ears for my stock

Do a search in the rimfire section for my thread,it might be usefull for you.I asked the same question.

Would I buy the Farley again?Defenitly yes.

Thanks Guys

If you want just a top, the shade tree top from Butch Lambert is excellent as is the the service from Butch, he is great to deal with. Steve

A couple of things have been confirmed by some of your replies, First it seems that the Farley compact Rest top is a compromise in that it works in reverse. This too me is useless. Then it seems that although the Farley's are great rest it appears that this too my be a hit or miss proposition.

The lack of response to the SEB rest would seem to indicate it's lack of popularity and or quality. Which is it?

I kind of like the idea of buying a complete rest as opposed to just a top made to work with my base but then I think for less then half the cost of a complete rest the Shade Tree rest top by Butch Lambert might just be the way to go. Am I reading you guys correctly on this? Don

Here is one that I built, so far I am very happy with it. Around $75 in material.

100_0561.jpg

Steve

Don't forget the Magnum Metal

coax rest from Scott Hunter. It has some nice upgrades over the Farley ( all stainless hardware, better bag compartment, ..) and is slightly less expensive. If you can swing the extra $$, get a complete rest instead of the add on tops. The rests give you a better range of elevation adjustment and a heavier / steadier base.

FWIW,

Roy in NC

DWM
If you have never used a toggle top rest before, the way the toggle moves the top will be a non issue. My compact Farley works backwards from the big Farley. Since I had never used one before I noticed nothing out of the ordinary. Even Jamie Farley stated to me that the compact seemed more natural to him. I got my compact Farley when they first came out and only paid $300 for it. I think they are $375 or more now. They do come with a bag, but unless they have improved it, (it is too small) I would be looking at Butch's top. If a top is what you are looking for. I shared a bench at a match with a friend that has the big Farley, just to keep from having to move stuff around. Had to keep reminding myself which way to move the handle and it slowed me down big time. That is why I said try them all to see what you like. What ever you start with you will automatically adjust to it. The only one I think I would stay away from is the Caldwell. As for the Seb rest, I don't know why it was not mentioned. I have not used one but have seen plenty of pics. It appears to be of excellent quality and about the same price as the other big tops. Some have said "not made in America" but they don't seem to have a problem buying Aussie windflags. Or stocks made in Canada. And like Roy said if you can swing it get the base and top together. Big bite, but the resale on them is very good, if you don't like it.

Donald

The lack of response to the SEB rest would seem to indicate it's lack of popularity and or quality. Which is it?

I kind of like the idea of buying a complete rest as opposed to just a top made to work with my base but then I think for less then half the cost of a complete rest the Shade Tree rest top by Butch Lambert might just be the way to go. Am I reading you guys correctly on this? Don

The SEB rest is super high quality...there's not a better joystick rest out there. In the group I usually shoot with (about 15 shooters) four have SEB rests and they are very happy with them. The finish on them is like a watch case.

Butch's rest top is a high quality rest and should suit your needs completely.

good luck...virg

Don

For what it's worth, I am new to this sport (third season) and on a very tight budget so I had to think long and hard about spending $850 for a Farley rest.

It has turned out to be one of the best investments that I have made and I am VERY happy with it.

As mentioned, be sure to order the HEAVY base model, not the new lighter base.

It has also been mentioned that the joystick works opposite from that of the compact top. Don't let that influence your decision, after a day of practice it will be a non issue. Like riding a bike, you just get on an go.

I hope that this will be helpful to you.

Dick

SEB Quality & Availability

The SEB rest is super high quality...there's not a better joystick rest out there. In the group I usually shoot with (about 15 shooters) four have SEB rests and they are very happy with them. The finish on them is like a watch case.

Butch's rest top is a high quality rest and should suit your needs completely.

good luck...virg

From the pictures on their Website the SEB looks impressive. Unless I'm mistaken Ernie Bishop is the only game in town if you want one of the SEB's. I contacted Ernie and he said he would forward me all necessary information on the rest sometime around the middle of this month.
The more I read from you guys the more I'm thinking it's coming down to a two horse race between the SEB complete rest and Butch Lambert's top.
The question is how deep I want to dig into my pocket. You guys are above and beyond, Thanks again. Don

Buy the farley...if you don't like it...it's easy to sell. There is a reason for the long wait. The Seb rests are very nice but not that nicer than a farley...it's kind of a horse race...so I buy american. Butch's top is quite nice also if you already have a base. Remember...all race cars need fine tuning to get them the way you want them....same with these rests...all have some popular mods. Walk the firing line at a big match (nationals, supershoot, etc) and take a look...would that many people be wrong?

Hovis

The real question

I have a Farley coaxial and am very pleased with it.It is rock solid and smooth as butter since I replaced the tension screws by Butch Lamberts'.It's true he really is a very nice person to deal with.If you need only a top I would surely consider his.

Contact with Mr.Farley was also very correct.I needed some parts and a missing item in the shipment and all was dealt with.But I seem to have lost contact with him,I get no replies to my mails.And I still have a small invoice to pay and no details.Might simply post the $.I don't like to live in debt.

If you buy a Farley,remove the ring holding the joystick boot.Otherwise its gets pinched and damaged.Some remove the boot altogether.
I also bought some Edgewood bags to go with it,and they are better than the supplied one.I had to order a rear one anyhow,I have an Anschütz 2213 stock that was too wide for my protektor 13.In shehane size it recoils lovely now.They are the only one with Farley frontbags and rearbags with enough space between the ears for my stock

Do a search in the rimfire section for my thread,it might be usefull for you.I asked the same question.

Would I buy the Farley again?Defenitly yes.

Hi Pieter,

The real question I have is why would I want to spend the huge dollars for a Farley rest then go and make modifications to it using a competitors parts. Call me crazy but for the kind of money these coaxial rest command the darn thing had better be flawless right out of the box. What ever rest I end up buying it will be the last so I'm not inclined to pay big bucks for a rest then start pouring more money into it to make it right. Thanks for your input, You have talked me right out of the Farley. Poor design and lack of communication with the manufacture is all I need to know. Thanks again, Don

Well then....buy a concret block and a sandbag....cause I've never owned a rest I didn't have to do something to.

Hovis

Don,I don't get it.You may think otherwise but you've turned my words around.
May I stress the Farley is definitly not poor design!You can use it as is.And it works fine.

I changed to Butch Lamberts' screws because they are a good idea.The pressure point is larger and they need no adjustment because they don't wear.The original ones might with some use and get a flat point.Butch' are $30,peanuts.

The boot issue is easily dealt with too.You don't even need the boot per se.

I have no connection to Mr.Farley nor Mr.Lambert.All I am is a very satisfied customer and I would buy their products again,they are the real thing.Mr.Farley hasn't replied to my last mail,maybe he's to busy.Previous questions have always been dealth with.

But if you want a seb go ahead,it should be good too.But I'm sure in the end you will change some details too.Benchresters are perfectionists.

Good luck in your search

Edit:Hovis you've hit the nail.

Back