Joy-Stick Adjustable Rest Top by Shadetree Engineering

I called the man, very friendly and helpful, who gave me the moa that it covers at 25 and 50 meters and told me that he doesn't recommend it for short distance rimfire Benchrest.

Rest

I have a Shadetree top and shoot 50 yard ARA.
I have never felt handicapped by the rest.
A lot of satisfied customers using this rest top.
CLP

My neighbor bought one and it’s on a caldwell bottom and he uses it for IR-50/50 and it works flawlessly. He also shoots group &VFS. I have used it a couple of times when he asked me to shoot a rifle that he was having a problem with and it was very smooth.

I own a Shadetree top with a Bald Eagle cast iron Y base. I have found this to be the perfect base for ABRA and other sporter competition. It sets up ideally with a Protektor sporter bag clamped in. It has more than enough range to cover an entire ABRA target without readjusting. I use a Farley for unlimited rifles, but the Shadetree is much smoother, especially with the lighter guns. I have in fact modified my Farley with Shadetree parts to give it a smoother slide and finer adjustment. I also have a Sinclair Competition and a Pappas one piece, but I seldom use those two in the competitions I shoot. They are both extremely well built and accurate rests, but they don't fit the style of my shooting and the one piece is often not allowed.

By the way, Butch is a real craftsman. His custom sporter rifles are works of art.

Just received mine. Any Shadetree restop users have any tricks on how to adjust the joystick ? Which tension screw to adjust first, etc ?

Last edited:
I had one. It was a fine rest. While it is true that I eventually moved up to a SEB Neo, I am actually sorry I did that, mainly because the SEB is heavy enough for me (at age 76) to be able to injure myself just carrying it too and from the bench. That was never an issue with the Shadetree Rest.

As for adjustments, you just need to be sure it the top rises and falls evenly side to side. Make very small adjustments until you get familiar with the rest. Here was my Shadetree rest at the range:

Dscn1747.jpg

I had one. It was a fine rest. While it is true that I eventually moved up to a SEB Neo, I am actually sorry I did that, mainly because the SEB is heavy enough for me (at age 76) to be able to injure myself just carrying it too and from the bench. That was never an issue with the Shadetree Rest.

As for adjustments, you just need to be sure it the top rises and falls evenly side to side. Make very small adjustments until you get familiar with the rest. Here was my Shadetree rest at the range:

View attachment 26536
I am getting used to it. I will have to shorten base back screw so the joystick doesn't hit it. Did you make your gunstock and front rest base ?

It's a very serviceable rest and an excellent value. Travel is pretty close for rf, ime but will do. They're hard to complain much about when you consider the price vs a $2k seb or Raptor. I use a Raptor now and love it but frankly, I shoot just as bad from it as I did my Shadetree. Lol!

It's a very serviceable rest and an excellent value. Travel is pretty close for rf, ime but will do. They're hard to complain much about when you consider the price vs a $2k seb or Raptor. I use a Raptor now and love it but frankly, I shoot just as bad from it as I did my Shadetree. Lol!
But you look better doing it, Mike😁

You are right, never seen anyone using it yet around my area. Looked on the net for it, lots of comments on several forums but no specific website to buy one online.
The Cowan rests are the product of a trade school in PA where Joe Cowan is an instructor. Joe has the students machine the parts and build the rests as part of their curriculum. They then sell the rests and use the funds in various ways

Several years ago I was fortunate to buy one of Joe's personal rest tops (and a post he made for me) to install on my Wichita base. I was still raising a family at the time and could not afford one of the more pricey alternatives. The top has served me well and I still use it today

I haven't heard much about the Cowan rests in recent years and I hope Joe's still instructing and the program is still active. A quick web search turned up the review linked below with contact info

I am getting used to it. I will have to shorten base back screw so the joystick doesn't hit it. Did you make your gunstock and front rest base ?
The gunstock was made by the late Don Stith. I did the final sanding and finishing. The base you see on the front rest was made by Russ Haydon who is both the former (now retire) owner of Russ Haydon Shooter Supply and a friend of mine.

The gunstock was made by the late Don Stith. I did the final sanding and finishing. The base you see on the front rest was made by Russ Haydon who is both the former (now retire) owner of Russ Haydon Shooter Supply and a friend of mine.
Interesting. Russ Haydon's base and Joe Cowan's look remarkably similar

20231129_154110.jpg
20231129_154033.jpg

Sorry for the derail. Someone asked about the base and I thought I was providing correct info

View attachment 26567
View attachment 26568

Sorry for the derail. Someone asked about the base and I thought I was providing correct info

View attachment 26567
View attachment 26568

I could be remembering it wrong. I know I got that base from Russ. As I wrote, the top is a Shadetree top.

Back