John Ambler

Snert

In researching my latest Superior (Ross Sherman rifle) I came upon the name John Ambler (or very close to that) from Colorado. I was told he is (was?) a BR shooter who brought the game to Colorado into the Loveland area. Does anyone know him, or know of him? Any info would be helpful

Snert

I believe that he is in Fort Collins area. Also he used to do fitting and chambering. I was at one time interested in his services way back when. Apparently he built a number of rifles for Dave Brennan who never fired them, but sold them instead so John got pissed off and quit the fitting and chambering business. He is not to be confused with John Amber.

Last edited:
In researching my latest Superior (Ross Sherman rifle) I came upon the name John Ambler (or very close to that) from Colorado. I was told he is (was?) a BR shooter who brought the game to Colorado into the Loveland area. Does anyone know him, or know of him? Any info would be helpful

Snert

I believe that you are looking for "the other" John Amber, who was, a collector, author, magazine editor (maybe Gun Digest??) . . . poor memory prevents precise details. :eek:RG

P.S. I believe this is the man you want, however, he died around 20years ago: John T. Amber, Editor Emeritus of Gun Digest & Handloader's Digest has done a ...

P.S. Corrected spelling to John T. AMBER - my bad.

Last edited:
I believe that you are looking for "the other" John Ambler, who was, a collector, author, magazine editor (maybe Gun Digest??) . . . poor memory prevents precise details. :eek:RG

P.S. I believe this is the man you want, however, he died around 20years ago: John T. Ambler, Editor Emeritus of Gun Digest & Handloader's Digest has done a ...

Just got an email from John. He doesn't have one, but said he would check with the old timers. Probably the John Amber that you are speaking about.

Ok, it is possible that the person I am looking for is John Amber...

What I was told is that John Ambler (Amber) once owned this rifle that I now own. This info came from Bibs Machine out in CO, but I can't seem to raise them after trying about ten times last week. (Maybe elk hunting??)

I'm just trying to trace former owners, and gain any info on it's history. I am pretty certain it was once Becky sinclairs HV. No idea who had it before Fred and Becky, but it is the 5th made. So it went to someone close to Ross right out of the gate.

Thanks for the leads guys, I appreciate it! If anyone tells you they know anything about this rifle, let me know. Thanks in advance.

Snert

Sent you a PM with John Ambler's email address. I did talk to John and said that he did own a Surperior, but sold it a few years ago.

Thanks Butch. Sent a PM to you and your bride as well. Praying for both of you as you recover.

I sent an email to John.

P

Ok, it is possible that the person I am looking for is John Amber...

What I was told is that John Ambler (Amber) once owned this rifle that I now own. This info came from Bibs Machine out in CO, but I can't seem to raise them after trying about ten times last week. (Maybe elk hunting??)

I'm just trying to trace former owners, and gain any info on it's history. I am pretty certain it was once Becky sinclairs HV. No idea who had it before Fred and Becky, but it is the 5th made. So it went to someone close to Ross right out of the gate.

Thanks for the leads guys, I appreciate it! If anyone tells you they know anything about this rifle, let me know. Thanks in advance.

Snert

The rifle was owned by John Ambler at one time and he sold it to a young man named Derrick Scott years ago along with the 6x50 mag reamer. He brought the rifle to me and I chambered two barrels for it one was a used barrel and the other was a new barrel. He shot it at a few matches and then sold it some time ago. I dont know who bought it though. I still have the reamer. I talked to John Ambler about this rifle a few days ago. I do have some records on the barrels I did for it if you want some info on it.
Loren/ Bibs Machine

I just looked at my records and I worked on it in July 2008.
John is a good friend of mine and has helped me and every body else in the Colo area and a lot of other BR shooters all over the country. He is one of the good old guys that started BR shooting in Colo.

Last edited:
Loren!

I sent a PM, but this is a public thank you for reaching out. I have been trying to reach you via phone a few weeks ago.

i am amazed at the "smallness" of the shooting world, and this thread reinforces that. But within this group of folks I am finding some of the kindest, most helpful and knowledgable folks I have ever encountered. I love these old Superiors (its odd, I know) and am having a great time with them.

Snert

I just looked at my records and I worked on it in July 2008.
John is a good friend of mine and has helped me and every body else in the Colo area and a lot of other BR shooters all over the country. He is one of the good old guys that started BR shooting in Colo.

John is a treasure! He has helped me with a lot of things and I don't forget.

I recently acquired an old Superior (Ross Sherman) LV/HV BR rifle. After some research, it appears it once belonged to Becky Sinclair in the early 1980's. When I got it, it had an unknown barrel chambered by Bib's Machine in CO in 6x50. I kept asking myself "What is it"? So it became a 6x50 Whatsit in my mind. After some research I learned it was likely a 6mm neck up from a 5,6x50RWS Mag case. @DaveTooley first lent me a single case to confirm my suspicions, then sold me 120 cases when it appeared the case was the proper fit. I located a used set of dies here on AS. I sent the brass to @MrMajestic who annealed them for me.

Yesterday I put together twelve rounds to test.

I used the FL RCBS dies and a tapered button from Huntington to neck up. A Sinclair mandrel die followed, and I could feel a donut at the shoulder. I turned the brass to .011 and went into the edge of the shoulder to get rid of the donut. (Several test fits with 68 grain Rubrights without cutting into the junction resulted in a NO GO, so I went ahead and turned to the shoulder, which allowed any bullet to fit. ) I only did twelve to start with, as the cases are pricey.

I stole some medium loads from 6x47 load data and settled on trying 26 grains of H322 and a Fed GM, under a Cheek 66 grain FB.
At the range I wanted to accomplish three things: Shoot safely, get on paper, see how the brass fared.

I was very pleasantly surprised as I accomplished that, and more. I did not have flags, but it was a calm day. However I was shooting over snow with sharp sun, and mirage was causing the target to move all around.

When I seated the bullets I had tested the fit in the rifle at home. Four chambered very easily, no resistance. Another 8 had varied resistance, making me realize that I had not completely dealt with the donut. Hey, I am new at this! I used two to get on paper, reserving ten for group, "scientifically" separated into "easy" and "not easy" piles.

I bore sighted it with two rounds, and went to target at 100. The results are below. The small target are the cases that fit easily.

I have deduced that:
I think it is going to shoot
I need to deal with brass differences
I will stick with those Cheek bullets
and lastly, the rifle is no longer a Whatsit, but I have christened it the 6x50 Mo'Better, since it be Mo Better than a 6x47, if only 3mm.

Fun little rifle with some history behind it that I did not know until I bought it. I think I will keep it as a 6mm until this brass quits.

I posted photos at Accurate Shooter, in the small caliber thread, 17, 20, 22's...

Back