Joe Maitso Has Passed Away

James A. Kelbly

I found out today that Joe Maitso had passed away and I was asked to put this online. Joe was a great guy and made one of the best cartridge boxes.

The following is a paragraph from Joe's daughter on Joe's passing.

"I regret to say on Christmas Eve dad had a massive stroke, surgery was performed to relieve the brain bleed but over time we saw his condition was and would not be the quality of life dad chose and had laid out. On January, 5th I brought him to my home with the help of hospice and he passed away very peacefully on January 25th at 89 1/2 years old with family by his side including his treasured dog Jackson. His end days were filled with much love, care and his room had a huge picture window overlooking woods to see deer, much wildlife and his favorite sounds at night of the owls bantering back and forth."

He will be missed.

Jim

Jim, I hate to hear that. My wife and I met Joe at your place (i.e., the Super Shoot) several years ago, and enjoyed visiting with him. My condolences to his family.

Joe was one of the friendliest guys on the range and always a pleasure to shoot and talk with. He also will be missed.
John VM

Really sorry to hear about this, Had the pleasure to load next Joe at the Super Shoot as said very friendly and great guy.....sorry for the loss

I also met Joe at my first Supershoot and bought a cartridge box from him. I said something about him on another forum a few weeks before he had the stroke and he sent me a cartridge holder.

Great guy.

Later
Dave

Attachments

• 20230130_134317.jpg
    20230130_134317.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:
So sad to hear

A few years back when I was just getting into short range group shooting, I found the website for his cartridge boxes and sent him an email so I could order a couple boxes. That must've been the year he finally decided he was finished with the game because he told me he just sold all his gear and rifles. Over the past few years, we'd chat through emails. He'd tell me stories about "the good ole' days", ask what bullets or powder I was using, congratulate me if he saw I'd done well at a match. He always had kind words.

Last fall I contacted him to order a couple more boxes, this time to give out as prizes for Shelby Co. When I told him why I was buying them, he refused to take payment.

I really wish I got to meet Joe in person.

Brian

A few years back when I was just getting into short range group shooting, I found the website for his cartridge boxes and sent him an email so I could order a couple boxes. That must've been the year he finally decided he was finished with the game because he told me he just sold all his gear and rifles. Over the past few years, we'd chat through emails. He'd tell me stories about "the good ole' days", ask what bullets or powder I was using, congratulate me if he saw I'd done well at a match. He always had kind words.

Last fall I contacted him to order a couple more boxes, this time to give out as prizes for Shelby Co. When I told him why I was buying them, he refused to take payment.

I really wish I got to meet Joe in person.

Brian

Sounds like you just missed him. He was always at Holton. Would bring a big bag of peanuts. By Sunday there were shells everywhere.
Great Guy.

Joe was among the sweetest guys I ever dealt with, always went a step above with his stuff. Still today i use several of his boxes…. None better.

RIP Joe!!!

Sorry to hear this, my condolences go, out to all of his family and closest friends.

Joe told me when he made those cartridge boxes, they were all made with a manual turning mill.

Another great man that will be missed!!!

Russell

RIP Joe

My condolences to all his family and friends.

Joe was always friendly and had a quick smile.
He will be missed.

Ian

I always liked talking with Joe... we have a few of his cartridge boxes. He never invented the cartridge box but he went and added a cool lid that fit really well and had nice hinges and a nice closing mechanism... after all a cartridge box is just a cartridge box right.... wrong, Joe's were a work of art, especially the wood ones. It didn't hurt that he was great guy and never pressured you to buy anything.

RIP Joe Maisto

Very sad news

Joe was one of the niceest persons that I met and I am very glad that we had the opportunity to share very good moments around a dinner's table during the Super Shoot. I really regret that he is no longer with us and I will miss him dearly and the Heineken beers that he used to bring me once the shoot was over. R.I.P. my friend the benchrest community will miss you.

Back