Joe Krupa sets new record at WWCCA 250-19X

zippy06

Tim B.
It was a sunny day in Plymouth, MI. Temp. at start 20. With snow on the range.
A beautiful day for shooting.
At the end, Joe Krupa had set another range record at WWCCA. 250-19X.
Congratulations Joe.

Good shooting Kroop, what were you shooting, a 6? By the way temp in the 50's here today, I mowed my lawn I hope for the last time this year today.

Dan Honert

Good shooting Joe. Those of us who have shot at Western Wayne know how much fun it can be to shoot at 200 in the AM sun. What gun did you use?

Geary Koglin

Has anyone mentioned that this was a 200 Yard match? Good Shooting Joe!

Paul, was it IBS registered? If so record now is 250-18X, Allie Euber. Too bad if not, but great shooting regardless. Those kind of scores don't come along very often! --Greg

Thanks for the congrats. It was a registered NBRSA match at 200 yards. I looked at the IBS records after the match and was surprised and satisfied that it was a good result. I was shooting a Heavy Varmint gun. At the end of the round I considered having the targets submitted, but didn't for three reasons: 1) It was a small match and the guy running it was a doing it for the first time (and did a good job), and 2) I'm not sure that the NBRSA is collecting world record data yet for VFS, and 3) I'm the Eastern Region Director (the guy who would be submitting the targets) and I was simply satisfied internally for what my rifle did for me today.

I took the targets off the wall and am going to have them laminated. I'm satisfied that it was a good day shooting and I was amoung good friends who congratulated me. I hope someone in either the IBS or the NBRSA shoots 250 -20X some day and I want to be the first person to congratulate them.

Some other things about the match and the range records. I was shooting a BAT/Scoville 6PPC in a HV stock. The stock actually belongs to George Carter, but has my old rail gun action in it. (I still owe George a HV stock.) Krieger barrel and a locked-up Sightron scope that was bumped to 45 power. I threw the gun together Saturday night and decided at the last minute to not pull one of my Leupold LCS 45's off my group gun. I was shooting 29.8 grs. of '09 N133. That, too, was a guess since I just got the powder and it doesn't weigh the same as my old '01 lot. The bullets were Hottenstein 68's off of Lowell's new 8 ogive die and were the 2011 jackets. They seat .012 off of Lowell's old seating, but seem otherwise to be very much the same bullet that you would expect from Lowell Hottenstein.

On the first target, I took the center out of the first three X's and my last two dropped down a bit due to mirage. I put a "patented Krupa mirage shield" on the gun and shot 5 X's on the second target. It was a pleasure to look through the scope on that gun. About once a year, I experience what I call a "gun on auto pilot" and this was what was happening.

I am honored to set our new WWCCA range record. I started shooting benchrest at WWCCA in score matches in 1995, and I look at every match as if it could be my last today. I can remember when "staying clean" at 100 yards was a big deal and 16 X's would win at 100. Since then, the 100-yard record was set at 250-24X's by Dave Holmes from Canada with a 6PPC and then Larry Feusse at 250-25X's with a .30 BR (or maybe his .30 Gorilla).

The 200-yard record was held by Paul Becignuel at 250-14X's and then by Mario Sanchez at 25-15X's (according to our current records), both with 6 PPC's. I was sitting at 200-15X's at the end of the fourth target and started to get pretty excited about shooting again. Chasing a record is about the most fun someone can get out of shooting; no matter what the result. When I shot four X's target on my last target, my hands were shaking. I haven't felt that excited behind a benchrest rifle in a few years. When I got home and looked at the targets, there were nine complete "wipe outs". What a great rifle!

Records are important, and I considered submitting them. But in the end, I decided to go to the club house and have a cold one with my firends. I would like to see someone shoot 250 -20 X's at 200 in either the IBS or the NBRSA in VFS yards pretty soon so that I won't have any regrets about taking the targets off the wall.

Last edited:
Joe, enough of this talk about being your last match. With the equipment and skill that you have, you are poised to set the BR community on its ear this year. Very good shooting..... James

Wow, that is some great shooting, and with a 6, not a 30. Congratulations.

Keith

That is some amazing shooting. Could you post pics of the targets?

WoW...Joe that was a great 200 yd score...I once shot a 250-13x @ 200 and have my targets stored so I can relive that day...I have yet to shoot a 5x @ 200yds...I would laminate and frame it if I did....:D

Eddie in Texas

Joe, congrats on the great shooting and on your gracious humility. A day of shooting like that is a very special experience and it looks like you sure enjoyed it.

Knowing all the discussion there has been on this board about the size of the hole and the size of the target, I can't help but ask if you have an opinion, from examining your target, if a larger hole would have gotten you another X or two?

Thanks for the nice words.

A larger bullet may have gotten me two more X's. However (and this is no slight what so ever to a .30), me and the .30 BR have had a love-hate relationship. They love to hate me. I have tried to make five .30 BR barrels shoot as well as I have been able to get my 6PPC to shoot with less-than-satisfactory results. I have shot my PPC reamer/bullet combination for so long that I can make minor changes in seating and load to get the thing tuned decently well; often by looking at how the group forms or what the bullet holes look like. But, when I get the .30 barrel on my rifle, it's like watching a monkey fornicating with a football. I just haven't spent the same amount of time with my .30 BR to get to a point where I know it as well as my six.

My buddy Quigley was shooting his .30 BR next to me and after the third target he asked me if changing the seating depth would help his shoot better (as if I would have a clue on the .30). He said that he was shooting it right at the jam and he was thinking of pushing the bullet back .020 from that point. His rifle shot significantly better on the last two targets moving the bullet into the case.

There are shooters on this forum who would know much better than I on how to tune a .30 BR. But, I would have to believe that spending the same amount of time working the tuning regimen that many group shooters spend on the 6 PPC toward the .30 BR would pay great dividends on how they shoot.

Maybe I should spend some time tuning my .30 and hope for the day when I could look through my scope and watch that rifle shoot the same way that I have seen my PPC shoot in the past. Something to work toward.

An aside, I have shot two 5X targets at 200 yards in 16 years of shooting. One yesterday and the other one was with my .30 BR last year. I wasn't capable of staying clean last year with the .30 BR. My problem, not the cartridge.

Last edited:
Back