Jewell Trigger

Matt P

Hi All
I have a Jewell trigger here that has an issue, No matter what action I attach it to the pin fall is reduced by a lot, no need to measure it's very obvious !!!
This has all happened since he a blanked primer. I have pulled the cover off and inspected for broken levers or pins, seems ok, there is some wear where the cocking piece and trigger meet but not as much as the reduction in pin fall.
Can anyone shed some insight into what maybe the issue ??
Regards
Matt

One of the levers inside the action may have bent when the primer blanked. More than likely it bent at the thinnest part of one of the levers. When a primer blanks it drives the firing pin back from the pressure and then the spring drives the cocking piece forward hitting the seat bar like a miniature hammer. I've seen several Jewell triggers fail from blanked primers. It varies as to which part breaks or bends. Jewell considers a trigger failing from a blanked primer as a misused trigger and won't warranty the trigger. They will repair the trigger at your expense.

How old is it? Once upon a time there were quite a few Jewell's that had the sear bar cocking piece interface up to .050" too far forward reducing pin fall by same.

Last edited:
I purchased a used jewell trigger a couple months back that didnt work. i didnt know it didnt work and the seller also claimed not to know it. long story short. I boxed the trigger up and sent it to jewell for repair. that was more than a month ago, and i havent heard a word from them. My trigger wouldnt hold the cocking piece. the sear in the trigger wouldnt hold. you could push the sear down with thumb pressure alone. I took the trigger apart and all looked ok??? Lee

The best thing I have found when dealing with Jewell trigger problem is to send it in to the subject matter expert, Arnold. Like Skeet has eluded, might have to wait a bit to get back but they are the people that can best fix your problem, IMHO.
Bruce

The best thing I have found when dealing with Jewell trigger problem is to send it in to the subject matter expert, Arnold. Like Skeet has eluded, might have to wait a bit to get back but they are the people that can best fix your problem, IMHO.
Bruce

This is sooo funny, and TRUE for me.

I'm "The Guy Who Fixes Ever'thing" so I've bought a busted one, bought a gun with a iffy one and bust one of my own blanking primers. I got the schematics.....I went on youtube....I spake with Ye Mightie Boyde Allen who does understand Jewell's....I read posts here and copied images and photos anbd 'How-To's' of all shapes and sizes.....I gener'ly fiddle-diddled around for several years.....tried to decode the various changes and iterations through the mfg dates of the ones I owned....

And I sended my triggers back to Jewell in shame...

I saw a Jewell trigger years back

I purchased a used jewell trigger a couple months back that didnt work. i didnt know it didnt work and the seller also claimed not to know it. long story short. I boxed the trigger up and sent it to jewell for repair. that was more than a month ago, and i havent heard a word from them. My trigger wouldnt hold the cocking piece. the sear in the trigger wouldnt hold. you could push the sear down with thumb pressure alone. I took the trigger apart and all looked ok??? Lee

that had a lever with a crooked hole through it so that that lever rubbed hard on the side plate. I have seen 11 Jewell triggers fail at matches over the years and most of them have a broken lever in them, the lever that has a small end near the bottom, That end breaks off and is easy to not notice unless one has another there to look at. Had that happen to one of mine so I have experienced it first hand. Sorry about not being able to describe the lever better but I'm getting old.

Pete

Bruce

Bruce, that must have been long ago. Arnold retired probably 10 years ago.

Thanks Butch...guess I'm dating myself..thats my story and I'm sticking to it..
Bruce
oh, I would still send the broken trigger in to Jewell to get it fixed

Thanks Butch...guess I'm dating myself..thats my story and I'm sticking to it..
Bruce
oh, I would still send the broken trigger in to Jewell to get it fixed

'Jew bedder practice jour ese' talkin' cuz da guy who takes jour order weel be of Hispanol descent.....Don' try 'splain.... jus' say "fit's it" and send it off!

Back