Jewell trigger problems

tillroot1

I am looking for some help with a problem with a Jewell. The action is a Stiller preadator and a Jewell trigger, bolt release,top safety in left hand.
The problem is that with the safety applied when the bolt is cocked, the gun will fire when you let the safety off, every time. Is this a adjustment thing or should I replace the trigger? both the action and trigger are brand new.

Thanks, Ron Tilley

..send it back to Jewell. They rebuilt one for me for a whopping $33.00, shipping included and it works as well as new!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron

Probably a simple adjustment is all that's needed. Back the front screw out 1/4 of a turn and see if that changes anything.

Dave

IMHO The newer Jewells need to be "blueprinted" to get them 100% reliable. I'm afraid they have succumbed to the typical profit -over- quality mindset.
It costs me $80 and points at two score matches this year on my newest Jewell .......my three older Jewells work flawlessly..as does the the fixed one.
It was not a "dirt "problem...my smith showed me the misaligned pin holes, side-plate burrs, etc.
In Tillroots case, it also is a safety issue vs. mine which was an intermittent failure to re-set issue.

both the action and trigger are brand new.

Thanks, Ron Tilley

Ron,
Sounds like a adjustment problem, regardless of the flame throwing at Jewell, they make a top notch product, call them and I'll bet good $$ they can walk you right thru the problem.

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

A number of years ago

IMHO The newer Jewells need to be "blueprinted" to get them 100% reliable. I'm afraid they have succumbed to the typical profit -over- quality mindset.
It costs me $80 and points at two score matches this year on my newest Jewell .......my three older Jewells work flawlessly..as does the the fixed one.
It was not a "dirt "problem...my smith showed me the misaligned pin holes, side-plate burrs, etc.
In Tillroots case, it also is a safety issue vs. mine which was an intermittent failure to re-set issue.

A friend had a Jewell failure and the condition of that trigger was exactly as you discribed yours to be, with misaligned holes and burred sideplates. Jewell rebuilt it and sent it back to him, no chartge, to be fair.

I am aware of a dozen or so Jewells failing at matches I have been to over the past dozen years. I don't recall seeing another brand of trigger fail at a match during that time however. I will grant you Jewell is by far the most popular trigger but in my mind none of them should fail. This is why I switched to a different brand and so far, so good.

A friend tried and I tried again last night to adjust it again, but it will just not work. I replaced it with another new one that I had for another gun and it is flawless, adjusted perfectly and I bounced the butt pad on the table, tapped the action with a plastic hammer and slammed the bolt forward hard and cammed it hard, worked the safety back and forth with not one failure. I will send the other back and see what they say and do. Thank you all who responded. Ron Tilley

Ron, I recently had the same issue.

The holes in the side plates for the sear pivot pin were too far foward and too large. The result was almost no sear eangagement, despite any adjustments. When the bolt did cock, you could get the firing pin to fall by tapping (lightly) on the stock. -Al

Several of us had issues with Jewell triggers (model with the safety) on Ultralight actions. Called Jewell and had a great conversation with him on the problem, he said it was Mel's problem on the way he did the bolt, Mel said he has had zero problems with the Timneys and it was only with the Jewells. Someone on an other forum/topic posted that if you have the one with the safety it's the spring that is breaking due to the vibration or angle and the lever and I believe had posted a fix. I'll have to see if I can find it as I had sent it to the guys I shoot with. Last I knew Jewell was not acknowleding his triggers had that problem. Seems funny so many folkes are experiencing problems and similiar failures though. I will agree they are a fine and great trigger, I love the way they break, but the problems and like Murphy's Law... it seems to always be in a match when it happens.

Don't know about you but won't risk it, I'm using a Jackson trigger now with no problems.

I can tell you what is up. You don't have FULL MOVEMENT of the safety to on and off. Take the action out of the stock and try it, I bet it will work ok. You may need to do some stock work so it does have the full movement. If that is not it then do as the others said and send it back.

You say that it is a Jewell trigger? In every case with a problem trigger made by and after market maker, the problem has always been traced back
to the installer. Call Jewell and ask them to install the trigger for yu or even better get ahold of someone that really knows how to install these fine triggers. That way they know the ends and outs of why it failed.:D

Back