Jackie's new TOY

I have watched Mike Ratigan put five downrange in 15-20 seconds. I have practiced, best I can do is about 30 seconds. And that is if I don't drop a round on the bench.

Donald

Jackie,
I don't know much about your trade, just thinking if you are going for speed you will have to use either a joystick or squeeze the bags. I feel like the compound that you have on your present rest is as good as the pretty rest tops.
Butch

Mislick.
Meant to say
Beauty:)
Looks like it will get the job done for sure.

Not to go off topic, but when I saw "Toy" in the thread title I remembered a recent TV advert for a new game thats just come out.
What makes this one so interesting is that the players control movement of the game piece with their minds.

A headset reads the layers brain waves and the more the player consentrates the greater the force applied to the small game ball (like a ping pong ball) by a small fan built into the game board.

Think of it, perhaps one day they can replace the trigger entirely, the shooter firing the rifle by simply consentrating, no physical movement to upset the aim.
Add an electronic ignition, which is already available, and one holers would become the norm at much greater ranges than previously possible.

I'm thinking such a setup might be constructed using the parts from the game I saw advertised.

Of course should a fine looking babe walk by some on the line might have premature ignition. :D

Did anybody notice that BAT moved their bolt handle to a very low, "smack you in the knuckles during recoil" position ? It also gets in the way when you're trying to get your finger on the trigger and makes bolt cycling a rifle rocking endeavor. I'm shure they had their reasons for the "new and improved" design,( like maybe for sporter type hunting rifles)but for BenchRest competition, I don't care for it.I liked the higher bolt handle of the old design.I'm shure Jackie will give us a full report after he shoots it for awhile.
Joel

Joel

Yeh, everybody is wondering why the heck they did that. It is very difficult to lift the bolt with that open palm from under neath, because you can hardly get your fingers in that space. Lot's of cut away in the stock as well.

The only reason I could come with is shooters might have been hitting the scope if they clutched the handle with their hand.

One of life's mysterys...........jackie

I ordered a new BAT action for a 30BR and Daryl asked me which style I wanted. I told him I wanted the higher version. I was given a choice! :)

When I received my last BAT action around march of last year, I noticed the bolt handle was way lower. I called bat and they acted like they didn't know that. I have to remove quite a bit of material from the stock to get the handle to close. I took it to the supershoot and showed it to Tom from BAT and he didn't know why. He said they outsource the bolt handles (and I believe they have them attached also, but can't remember for sure). He asked how it shot and I said once I got the clearance right, it seemed to be as good as the others. I slide my forefinger up the side of the stock to open bolts so it didn't really effect me any. I could see how some wouldn't like it. If you compare two bolt (one older, against the newer one) you can see the change in the bolt handle design that causes it to be lower.

Hovis

Personally I would

almost say that was a error in attaching the handle.

I am going to have to call to verify for the actions we have ordered. I am not very fond of where the handle is situated. I never paid much attention to the pic until I was informed about this.

Calvin

Jackie, what brand of stock and is that a 10.5 lb gun? If so, I curious how you made weight? Nice looking rifle!

Calvin,

I've talked to several stockers lately. This bolt handle thing with BAT's is not a rare occurance now....it's the standard.

Hovis

Moving the handle lower on the actions was a bad move by BAT, IMO... In fact, I thought the bolt handle was too low on some of the earlier two lugs..

These rifles are to shoot off of bags, and sometimes shot in a hurry. That handle postion doesn't lend itself well to that style of shooting, at least it wouldn't for me..

BTW, a standard rt. bolt, left port rifle can be shot very quickly, perhaps just as quickly as an ejector type action.. I've done it.

Pat, I knew there was a reason you are in the Hall of Fame. Hard work, dedication, and a lot of shooting. You can be very fast without the ejector as I have watched you. I hope you get your back in shape to start competitive shooting again. You need to give the feral hogs a break as you are murder on them with your old fashion recurve bow. Kills raccoons and possums[Hoover hogs} also.
Butch

Mr. B ...

Moving the handle lower on the actions was a bad move by BAT, IMO... In fact, I thought the bolt handle was too low on some of the earlier two lugs..

These rifles are to shoot off of bags, and sometimes shot in a hurry. That handle postion doesn't lend itself well to that style of shooting, at least it wouldn't for me..

BTW, a standard rt. bolt, left port rifle can be shot very quickly, perhaps just as quickly as an ejector type action.. I've done it.

I just got off the phone with Daryle Thom at B.A.T. Machine. As the result of every other phone call they were receiving, complaining about the bolt handle, they have developed a new and improved version, that should satisfy the most discriminating of bolt aficionados. ;)

Back